Human zombies

Discuss the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must buy and read the book. After buying the book, please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the book In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All. Anyone can view the forum and read the post, but only people who purchased the book can post in the forum.

If your purchase has not already been verified (i.e. if you don't already have access to post in this forum), then please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Rat de bibliotheque1
Premium Member

Re: Human zombies

Post by Rat de bibliotheque1 »

It is important to try and make up our own minds about things. The media can give incomplete or false information. It is up to us to do some research and apply our common sense to get to the truth but it can be difficult.
Meghan Sica
Premium Member

Post by Meghan Sica »

I think this will always be a struggle. Everyone of us are in a different walk of life. Each person will have different experiences, different lives. For me personally, I will always struggle to just be in the moment.
Rat de bibliotheque1
Premium Member

Most people struggle to be in the moment. As said previously, being able to enjoy the present without worrying about the future is a challenge. Some people are better at it than others.
Salah bourouba
Premium Member

Post by Salah bourouba »

As Muslims Allah tells us to live for the moment you are in. Appreciate,worship, admire,love, do good in the world. Don't dwell on the past for it has already passed and there is nothing you can do to change it. Don't remorse because it will only destroy your spirit and make you stuck Ina roller coaster of emotions. And don't predict the future because nothing can happen to you unless Allah planned for it to happen. And anything that Allah plans is good. Because he never does wrong to his people. You might not understand it now but you will with time. As long as you put your trust in him. Everything will be fine
Rat de bibliotheque1
Premium Member

Not everyone is religious and believes that God or Allah plan for our future. We can make our own future, depending on life circonstances. And try and make the best of our lives.
Anna Hernandez 2
Premium Member

Post by Anna Hernandez 2 »

Salah bourouba wrote: February 6th, 2023, 4:30 pm As Muslims Allah tells us to live for the moment you are in. Appreciate,worship, admire,love, do good in the world. Don't dwell on the past for it has already passed and there is nothing you can do to change it. Don't remorse because it will only destroy your spirit and make you stuck Ina roller coaster of emotions. And don't predict the future because nothing can happen to you unless Allah planned for it to happen. And anything that Allah plans is good. Because he never does wrong to his people. You might not understand it now but you will with time. As long as you put your trust in him. Everything will be fine
I find this a beautiful explanation. Although I am not a Muslim, I believe having faith in a religion offers trust in a higher power. Different religions may refer to this higher power by different names, but to me, there's a common thread of trust among them throughout history. It's not just a coincidence :)
Rat de bibliotheque1
Premium Member

Very true. However, not everyone is religious and believes in a higher power. Not believing in God does not necessarily stop people from being a good person or from living in the moment. Equally, there are plenty of religious people who do not always do good things in the world.
abstactlemon
Premium Member

Post by abstactlemon »

I agree with everything you mentioned, it often feels like nobody knows how to feel anymore; how to act. The journey towards discovering that might not be easy but I believe it is a step towards positive development.
Rat de bibliotheque1
Premium Member

It is difficult to know our real self. It is a journey throughout life. Life circumstances can also easily change how we feel about ourselves. We are learning all the time. However, it makes life interesting to learn new things about ourselves. We can be surprised to realise we are stronger and more resilient than we would have thought, when we are faced with difficulties.
Alex Reeves
Premium Member

Post by Alex Reeves »

It's very funny when you say human zombies, but come to think of it, zombies are just like meaning creatures, seeing that they don't have the essence normal humans possess. Finding what someone is, according to a book I read lately, is different from finding who someone is. This is critical to me, because I've set out to find who I am. Now I'm hearing that I should instead find out what I am, and that's very complicating.
Rat de bibliotheque1
Premium Member

“Human zombies” was the term used by the author of “In It Together”, I found the description interesting. The author implied that people could have difficulty thinking for themselves. We are easily influenced by external factors, specifically the media. It makes it sometimes difficult to find out who or what we really are.
Amarachi Nzeakor
Premium Member

Post by Amarachi Nzeakor »

One of my biggest mantras this year is "not worrying about things I can't control and doing the best with things I can." This has kept me grounded and present in the moment.
Rat de bibliotheque1
Premium Member

This is a good mantra. Doing our best in life is something we can all strive to do. And we can improve what we do. We can learn to take it step by step, one day at a time.
Donna Walker 1
Premium Member

Post by Donna Walker 1 »

You make a good point. Many people are human zombies, and this is especially true now that they are glued to their screens and cut off from the natural living world. We find peace when we reconnect with what is right now. 
Rat de bibliotheque1
Premium Member

A lot of us have become human zombies. Reconnecting with what is truly important will help us reach inner peace. Being in nature, spending time with family and friends, simple moments bring happiness, we do not need to surround ourselves with material things and spend excessive time on screens.

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream