A man's job is a hint for how he views the world; do you agree?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Philosophy Book of the MonthThe Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity by Christian Espinosa
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader

Re: A man's job is a hint for how he views the world; do you agree?

Post by Sushan »

Henry Case wrote: December 13th, 2022, 8:15 pm Will there ever be an end to Taylor Swift albums?...she's doing three a year now
Well, I think this rhymes with the race related topic. But I am sorry I do not see the philosophy in the subject.

Anyway, she will not be able to sing forever, and also will not be able to live forever. So it will not take much long for your question to be answered exactly. And there will be a time when no one even knows her name.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

MLunardini wrote: December 13th, 2022, 10:27 pm It depends, obviously.
The variables are many.
To reply straightforward to the answer:
[*] No, there isn’t a certain correlation.

Best regards,
MLunardini.
Why would you say right away that there is no correlation. There are people who can work with people, while there are others who prefer machines over people. The former will choose more social jobs while the latter will choose jobs that will let them work alone. And there social behaviour will resemble the same. I think that is adequate correlation.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

LuckyR wrote: December 14th, 2022, 2:58 am
Arbu123 wrote: December 13th, 2022, 4:16 pm
LuckyR wrote: December 6th, 2022, 3:08 am Yes and no. Just as there are (small) differences between the races, there are differences between members of different job types. HOWEVER, these differences are much smaller than the differences between members WITHIN races and job types.
I was thinking the same thing. Goes along with the “Will there ever be an end to racism?” thread.
Both are examples of the lack of understanding of the statistical behavior of groups vs individuals.
Statistics is an analysis of observations. Statistics can be biased as well as wrong. And, yes, when case by case are considered that can be far different from group wise statistics. But that does not make it wrong or irrelevant. In statistics we come into conclusions using grouped data. But in the process we loose the value of individual values that can exert a great impact on the results.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Arbu123 wrote: December 14th, 2022, 6:47 pm
LuckyR wrote: December 6th, 2022, 3:08 am Yes and no. Just as there are (small) differences between the races, there are differences between members of different job types. HOWEVER, these differences are much smaller than the differences between members WITHIN races and job types.
I was thinking the same thing. Goes along with the “Will there ever be an end to racism?” thread.
Both are examples of the lack of understanding of the statistical behavior of groups vs individuals.
You said it. But each individual is affected by their group.
Groups are comprised of people. So the group qualities resemble the qualities of its people. At the same time people join to groups that they like or suitable for them. Or they choose to change according to thw group. So it is an equation that runs both ways, and continously.

– William James
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sushan wrote: December 27th, 2022, 6:57 am
Statistics is an analysis of observations. Statistics can be biased as well as wrong. And, yes, when case by case are considered that can be far different from group wise statistics. But that does not make it wrong or irrelevant. In statistics we come into conclusions using grouped data. But in the process we loose the value of individual values that can exert a great impact on the results.
Barring errors, statistics aren't "wrong", though simple-minded conclusions based on incorrect interpretation of statistical results are frequently wrong.
"As usual... it depends."
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

LuckyR wrote: January 1st, 2023, 2:46 pm
Sushan wrote: December 27th, 2022, 6:57 am

Barring errors, statistics aren't "wrong", though simple-minded conclusions based on incorrect interpretation of statistical results are frequently wrong.
I would rather not jump into that conclusion. Statistics are taken from various studies. And there are a number of study methods that all have their pros and cons. While what you said regarding conclusions can be true, it can very well be either a wrong or misleading conclusion that was provided by a correctly done and correctly interpreted statistical analysis of a study as well.

– William James
Stoppelmann
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Alan Watts

Post by Stoppelmann »

Sushan wrote: December 5th, 2022, 8:50 am The author have suggested that there is a correlation between a man's job and how he views the world. In other terms we should be able to get an idea about a man's view on the world and how his mind will work in certain scenarios just by getting to know his job. What do you think? Do you think such a thing is possible and acceptable?
From what my son has told me (self employed in IT) this seems true of many people in his branch, and I think that there are many examples where the profession drives the point of interest. It isn't a law of nature though, and my son is the best example.
“Find someone who makes you realise three things:
One, that home is not a place, but a feeling.
Two, that time is not measured by a clock, but by moments.
And three, that heartbeats are not heard, but felt and shared.”
― Abhysheq Shukla
ReviewsByChristine
Premium Member

Post by ReviewsByChristine »

This exactly! For some people in IT, the statement is very true. But my husband for example, is the most non black and white thinker I have ever met. He is always pointing out the subtleties in an issue. For an IT guy he has a lot of out of the box thinking, and way more creative/crafty tendencies than me :D For every rule, there is an exception or ten.

Stoppelmann wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 4:40 am
Sushan wrote: December 5th, 2022, 8:50 am The author have suggested that there is a correlation between a man's job and how he views the world. In other terms we should be able to get an idea about a man's view on the world and how his mind will work in certain scenarios just by getting to know his job. What do you think? Do you think such a thing is possible and acceptable?
From what my son has told me (self employed in IT) this seems true of many people in his branch, and I think that there are many examples where the profession drives the point of interest. It isn't a law of nature though, and my son is the best example.
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

I agree that a person's profession can often shape their interests and perspectives on the world. It is natural for individuals to become immersed in their work and develop a strong connection to it, which can influence their worldview.

For instance, someone working in IT may develop a strong interest in technology and its applications, which could shape their perspectives on innovation and progress. However, this is not always the case, and individuals can have diverse interests and perspectives, even within the same profession.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

ReviewsByChristine wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 11:09 am This exactly! For some people in IT, the statement is very true. But my husband for example, is the most non black and white thinker I have ever met. He is always pointing out the subtleties in an issue. For an IT guy he has a lot of out of the box thinking, and way more creative/crafty tendencies than me :D For every rule, there is an exception or ten.

I completely agree with the notion that not all individuals who work in the field of IT are black and white thinkers. In fact, it is a common misconception to assume that people in IT are solely focused on logic and rules without considering the subtleties and nuances of a given situation.

As you have pointed out, your husband is a prime example of someone in IT who possesses a more creative and out-of-the-box mindset. This showcases that there is no singular mold that defines people in the field of IT. Instead, individuals come from diverse backgrounds and bring with them unique perspectives and ways of thinking.

Moreover, the idea that for every rule, there are exceptions or ten reinforces the understanding that life is complex and multifaceted. There are no universal truths or absolute answers that apply to every situation. Rather, each circumstance demands careful consideration and a willingness to adapt to its particularities.

– William James
Nletachi Otuokere
Premium Member

Post by Nletachi Otuokere »

No, there are far too many reasons why someone might choose to work in a particular field. You may also observe in your immediate surroundings that individuals with diverse moral standards and worldviews nevertheless hold the same preferences and behaviors.
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Nletachi Otuokere wrote: May 6th, 2023, 5:50 pm No, there are far too many reasons why someone might choose to work in a particular field. You may also observe in your immediate surroundings that individuals with diverse moral standards and worldviews nevertheless hold the same preferences and behaviors.
I agree that there is a vast array of reasons why individuals may be drawn to a particular profession, and it's oversimplified to claim that career choice alone would determine one's worldview. However, I would also argue that the nature of our work, to a certain extent, shapes our perceptions and how we interact with the world.

Let's take the example I mentioned earlier: individuals working in technical fields where logic, precision, and a binary approach are essential. Over time, these individuals may develop a tendency to view other aspects of life through a similar lens, favoring logical reasoning and clear-cut solutions. This doesn't mean they see everything as black and white, but rather that their profession has influenced their approach to problem-solving.

Conversely, a person working in a creative field, where ambiguity and subjectivity are common, may tend to appreciate the nuances and 'shades of gray' in other areas of life. Again, this doesn't encapsulate their entire worldview but reflects an aspect of it.

– William James

Return to “Discuss "The Smartest Person in the Room" by Christian Espinosa”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream