Dickens Process for success; Enjoying the present vs sacrificing the present for a better future

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Philosophy Book of the MonthThe Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity by Christian Espinosa
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader

Dickens Process for success; Enjoying the present vs sacrificing the present for a better future

Post by Sushan »

This topic is about the December 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity by Christian Espinosa

I learned about the Dickens Process, a neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) process that asks you to look at your entire life and identify moments that shape how you interact today.
(Location 142 - Kindle version)

The Dickens Process is based on the character Ebenezer Scrooge from Charles Dickens’s novella, A Christmas Carol. In the story, Scrooge meets a ghost on Christmas morning who shows him what his future could be if he doesn’t change his current bad behavior (and limiting beliefs). This causes so much pain for Scrooge that he decides to change his ways—and his life—forever. Jeff Bezos of Amazon fame uses the Dickens Process for decision making. In an interview, he was asked why he is so successful. He told them when it comes to decisions, he thinks about his life as an eighty-year-old man. He then chooses the option that will minimize regrets.
(Location 151 - Kindle version)

Most of the times we hear people advising to work hard today and sacrifice the joys of the present for a better future. But is it really worth to sacrifice the known present for an unknown future? On the other hand, will it be worthy to be penniless and unsuccessful when you are old just because the only things that you collected while you were young are beautiful and joyful memories?
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Stoppelmann
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Alan Watts

Re: Dickens Process for success; Enjoying the present vs sacrificing the present for a better future

Post by Stoppelmann »

In my opinion, our main problem is that we have to work to secure a future where we can calmly review what we have done. Without this work, the future is definitely unknown and may turn out badly. Of course, it can also turn out badly if we work on it, but that is not as bad as looking back at what could have been if I had made an effort and regretting my passivity.

There's another aspect, which is the prospect of getting into a flow state in my work and really enjoying what I'm doing. I know that many people have boring jobs and life is a grind, but I have found that a positive attitude and hard work can change that. I have changed the direction of my life several times: from salesman to soldier, from soldier to driver, from driver to warehouse worker, from warehouse worker to nurse, from nurse to management and from management to higher management.

Moreover, I did this in a foreign country, so learning the language, adapting to the culture and initially going back to school were all challenges, but if you go into it playfully and contribute constructively to your environment, you get a lot of help. So there is a lot to be gained by having a positive attitude, a friendly nature and a willingness to work hard, even if there is no guarantee that you will end up wealthy. At least you won't be haunted by the ghosts of the past tormenting you with nightmares about the future.
LuckyR

Re: Dickens Process for success; Enjoying the present vs sacrificing the present for a better future

Post by LuckyR »

Sushan wrote: December 13th, 2022, 11:22 pm This topic is about the December 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity by Christian Espinosa

I learned about the Dickens Process, a neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) process that asks you to look at your entire life and identify moments that shape how you interact today.

The Dickens Process is based on the character Ebenezer Scrooge from Charles Dickens’s novella, A Christmas Carol. In the story, Scrooge meets a ghost on Christmas morning who shows him what his future could be if he doesn’t change his current bad behavior (and limiting beliefs). This causes so much pain for Scrooge that he decides to change his ways—and his life—forever. Jeff Bezos of Amazon fame uses the Dickens Process for decision making. In an interview, he was asked why he is so successful. He told them when it comes to decisions, he thinks about his life as an eighty-year-old man. He then chooses the option that will minimize regrets.

Most of the times we hear people advising to work hard today and sacrifice the joys of the present for a better future. But is it really worth to sacrifice the known present for an unknown future? On the other hand, will it be worthy to be penniless and unsuccessful when you are old just because the only things that you collected while you were young are beautiful and joyful memories?
Several things:

First, Jeff Bezos (like all super successful people) is super successful because he got lucky, not because of anything in particular to do with his life strategy, intelligence or work ethic.

Second, deferred gratification is the correct or incorrect strategy depending on how one's life plays out. Thus it can only be judged retrospectively. Of course we live life prospectively, so while our choices can be correct on average, they can never be correct in every circumstance.

Lastly, the strategy of covering for the worst case scenario, does eliminate the possibility of the worst case, but typically at the expense of ever attaining the best case scenario. The value of the strategy will vary based on personality type.
"As usual... it depends."
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Stoppelmann wrote: December 14th, 2022, 3:08 am In my opinion, our main problem is that we have to work to secure a future where we can calmly review what we have done. Without this work, the future is definitely unknown and may turn out badly. Of course, it can also turn out badly if we work on it, but that is not as bad as looking back at what could have been if I had made an effort and regretting my passivity.

There's another aspect, which is the prospect of getting into a flow state in my work and really enjoying what I'm doing. I know that many people have boring jobs and life is a grind, but I have found that a positive attitude and hard work can change that. I have changed the direction of my life several times: from salesman to soldier, from soldier to driver, from driver to warehouse worker, from warehouse worker to nurse, from nurse to management and from management to higher management.

Moreover, I did this in a foreign country, so learning the language, adapting to the culture and initially going back to school were all challenges, but if you go into it playfully and contribute constructively to your environment, you get a lot of help. So there is a lot to be gained by having a positive attitude, a friendly nature and a willingness to work hard, even if there is no guarantee that you will end up wealthy. At least you won't be haunted by the ghosts of the past tormenting you with nightmares about the future.
More or less we are forced to work hard to secure a future for our own selves as well as the dependants (if there is any). And it is a grind for most of us at most of times. Yes, we may find solace even while we grind with the support that we get, the friends that we gain on the way, the happy moments that we experience, etc. But what is the use of all this grinding if a secure and wealthy future is still not a guarantee? All in all, what is the purpose of everything that we do if we all die one day?
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Stoppelmann
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Alan Watts

Post by Stoppelmann »

Sushan wrote: December 25th, 2022, 9:45 am More or less we are forced to work hard to secure a future for our own selves as well as the dependants (if there is any). And it is a grind for most of us at most of times. Yes, we may find solace even while we grind with the support that we get, the friends that we gain on the way, the happy moments that we experience, etc. But what is the use of all this grinding if a secure and wealthy future is still not a guarantee? All in all, what is the purpose of everything that we do if we all die one day?
Well, that sounds a lot like hopelessness, so the question is what do you hope for if family, friends or happy moments are no consolation for work? You could suspect that life altogether is not worth it for someone who speaks that way. What would provide some kind of solace?
“Find someone who makes you realise three things:
One, that home is not a place, but a feeling.
Two, that time is not measured by a clock, but by moments.
And three, that heartbeats are not heard, but felt and shared.”
― Abhysheq Shukla
vera
New Trial Member

Post by vera »

The theme of the book is fascinating and a very interesting and important story
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

LuckyR wrote: December 14th, 2022, 3:14 am
Sushan wrote: December 13th, 2022, 11:22 pm This topic is about the December 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity by Christian Espinosa

Several things:

First, Jeff Bezos (like all super successful people) is super successful because he got lucky, not because of anything in particular to do with his life strategy, intelligence or work ethic.

Second, deferred gratification is the correct or incorrect strategy depending on how one's life plays out. Thus it can only be judged retrospectively. Of course we live life prospectively, so while our choices can be correct on average, they can never be correct in every circumstance.

Lastly, the strategy of covering for the worst case scenario, does eliminate the possibility of the worst case, but typically at the expense of ever attaining the best case scenario. The value of the strategy will vary based on personality type.
You have spoken most of my mind. Yes, we look at the lives of those who extremely succeeded retrospectively and advice others or ourselves to have a life like that. But I think nowhere a research has been conducted to see how many of those who adhered to such a life style really ended up being successful. I think 'luck' also plays a significant role in the success of human beings.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Stoppelmann wrote: December 25th, 2022, 11:30 am
Sushan wrote: December 25th, 2022, 9:45 am More or less we are forced to work hard to secure a future for our own selves as well as the dependants (if there is any). And it is a grind for most of us at most of times. Yes, we may find solace even while we grind with the support that we get, the friends that we gain on the way, the happy moments that we experience, etc. But what is the use of all this grinding if a secure and wealthy future is still not a guarantee? All in all, what is the purpose of everything that we do if we all die one day?
Well, that sounds a lot like hopelessness, so the question is what do you hope for if family, friends or happy moments are no consolation for work? You could suspect that life altogether is not worth it for someone who speaks that way. What would provide some kind of solace?
That is my point. We only get temporary rewards as the result of continous grinding in most of our lifetimes. Even the wealthiest man is quite busy with his businesses and get only a limited time to be with his family and friends. And he has to find some time for his own self as well.

There is a story that I read some time back. A foreigner observed few fishermen who just fished using poles in the morning hours and went home. He saw the un-utilized potential of these men and asked what do they do by going home early without fishing a bit more. They said that they tend to their children and wives. Then the man said that they could have worked a bit more, caught some more fish, sold them, saved money, be bigger businessmen, and then relax with their families. The fishermen told, "sir, we are already spending time with our families. So why should we do all the things that you said to achieve what we already have?".

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

vera wrote: December 26th, 2022, 6:44 am The theme of the book is fascinating and a very interesting and important story
Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding the philosophical BOTM. We would like to hear your thoughts on the topic of this forum which was taken from a quote that was found in the book. Thank you

– William James
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sushan wrote: December 27th, 2022, 1:47 am

Several things:

You have spoken most of my mind. Yes, we look at the lives of those who extremely succeeded retrospectively and advice others or ourselves to have a life like that. But I think nowhere a research has been conducted to see how many of those who adhered to such a life style really ended up being successful. I think 'luck' also plays a significant role in the success of human beings.
The "proof" that super success is the result of luck are the numerous examples of the super successful not having super success in their next venture. Everything from average results to abject failure.
"As usual... it depends."
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

LuckyR wrote: December 27th, 2022, 6:37 pm
Sushan wrote: December 27th, 2022, 1:47 am

Several things:

The "proof" that super success is the result of luck are the numerous examples of the super successful not having super success in their next venture. Everything from average results to abject failure.
I think we are currently seeing such an example with Elon Musk's buying of Twitter. He has been a great success in the past with his risky and gambling sort of decisions with his other businesses. So he was quite a figure and an idol. Everyone thought of his buying of Twitter will be a major breakthrough as his previous businesses. But apparently he has run out of luck at the moment. Anyway, we have to wait to make any conclusions regarding that matter. But I agree with what you said.

– William James

Return to “Discuss "The Smartest Person in the Room" by Christian Espinosa”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream