Morality or selfishness?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2023 Philosophy Book of the MonthEntanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader

Morality or selfishness?

Post by Sushan »

This topic is about the January 2023 Philosophy Book of the Month, Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

She would love to feel his body next to hers. She would love his hands all over her body. She had lost all need to use the toilet. She felt only the tingling electric greatness of a sexual yearning she had never felt, never allowed herself to feel. And she wanted to feel it. But she had to protect him from her dirty past; she couldn’t tell him about her herpes. Not now. Not ever. He was leaving tomorrow. What a horrible gift to attach to him and to send home with him to his love. He would hate her forever.
(Location 332 - Kindle Version)

A prostitute suddenly feels bad for the potential risk of her partner getting a STD from her, simply because he cares for her. But in the past she has slept with countless men and sent them home to their wives, probably with her illness.

Can this be an act of 'new-found' morality? Or is it merely a selfish thought? Or is it a way of repaying? What are your thoughts on this dilemma?
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
LuckyR

Re: Morality or selfishness?

Post by LuckyR »

Sushan wrote: January 7th, 2023, 11:25 am This topic is about the January 2023 Philosophy Book of the Month, Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

She would love to feel his body next to hers. She would love his hands all over her body. She had lost all need to use the toilet. She felt only the tingling electric greatness of a sexual yearning she had never felt, never allowed herself to feel. And she wanted to feel it. But she had to protect him from her dirty past; she couldn’t tell him about her herpes. Not now. Not ever. He was leaving tomorrow. What a horrible gift to attach to him and to send home with him to his love. He would hate her forever.

A prostitute suddenly feels bad for the potential risk of her partner getting a STD from her, simply because he cares for her. But in the past she has slept with countless men and sent them home to their wives, probably with her illness.

Can this be an act of 'new-found' morality? Or is it merely a selfish thought? Or is it a way of repaying? What are your thoughts on this dilemma?
Well let's be clear about what is happening, then an accurate evaluation can be made. What's going on is a momentary lapse in a previous rationalization of an unethical choice in behavior.

In order to put this lapse into correct perspective, we have to know if this change is a one-off (based on the status of the object) or if it represents a new adherance to previously ignored ethical standards.
"As usual... it depends."
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

LuckyR wrote: January 8th, 2023, 4:53 pm
Sushan wrote: January 7th, 2023, 11:25 am This topic is about the January 2023 Philosophy Book of the Month, Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Well let's be clear about what is happening, then an accurate evaluation can be made. What's going on is a momentary lapse in a previous rationalization of an unethical choice in behavior.

In order to put this lapse into correct perspective, we have to know if this change is a one-off (based on the status of the object) or if it represents a new adherance to previously ignored ethical standards.
Well, she stopped being a prostitute later, but it was not because of this particular incident. She was treated well by a man for the first time in her life and she felt some gratitude towards that particular man. So she did not want to repay him with Herpes. I think that goes towards selfishness.

Yet, she thought about that man's actual fiancee as well, towards whom she had no connection. And I think I have to give a point to the prostitute for morality as well. But if she only thought about the possibility of being the subject of his hatred, then again it goes towards selfishness. 🤔
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sushan wrote: January 8th, 2023, 9:29 pm

Well, she stopped being a prostitute later, but it was not because of this particular incident. She was treated well by a man for the first time in her life and she felt some gratitude towards that particular man. So she did not want to repay him with Herpes. I think that goes towards selfishness.

Yet, she thought about that man's actual fiancee as well, towards whom she had no connection. And I think I have to give a point to the prostitute for morality as well. But if she only thought about the possibility of being the subject of his hatred, then again it goes towards selfishness. 🤔
Ok, then it was a one-off, based on her atypical feelings to this one guy. I'll give her a point, but only one.
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

LuckyR wrote: January 9th, 2023, 4:38 am

Ok, then it was a one-off, based on her atypical feelings to this one guy. I'll give her a point, but only one.
So towards which side of her that you are granting a point; her selfishness or her morality? Why? :?:

– William James
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sushan wrote: January 13th, 2023, 6:51 am

So towards which side of her that you are granting a point; her selfishness or her morality? Why? :?:
Her morality. But one moral act in a career of immorality is the reason for the single point.
Webco1577
Premium Member

Post by Webco1577 »

As I've often told my children, "Every one makes mistakes. It's what you do after that mistake that makes a difference." I have started the book, and have read the section quoted. I have gotten a chuckle out of the conversation above, but I think that I must call it a one-off for morality against her history......so far. I am going to wait to see where she goes from here. She has made a step in the right direction but I have a lot of book left to read and only the author can tell me which way she will go.
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

LuckyR wrote: January 16th, 2023, 3:27 am
Sushan wrote: January 13th, 2023, 6:51 am

Her morality. But one moral act in a career of immorality is the reason for the single point.
But she had thoughts of being at the receiving end of his hatred, and avoiding that was among the reasons for her restraint. Why should we put that towards morality since she clearly had selfish thoughts?

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Webco1577 wrote: January 19th, 2023, 9:23 pm As I've often told my children, "Every one makes mistakes. It's what you do after that mistake that makes a difference." I have started the book, and have read the section quoted. I have gotten a chuckle out of the conversation above, but I think that I must call it a one-off for morality against her history......so far. I am going to wait to see where she goes from here. She has made a step in the right direction but I have a lot of book left to read and only the author can tell me which way she will go.
Well, you have a point. Since this is fiction it is up to the author to fabricate his characters. And being immoral for the most of the life does not make anyone to unable to be moral for atleast once. But here she liked that guy and was afraid of letting him know her true past. Wasn't that selfish instead of being moral?

– William James
Nletachi Otuokere
Premium Member

Post by Nletachi Otuokere »

She did eventually stop being a prostitute, but not because of this specific incident. For the first time in her life, a man treated her properly, and she was somewhat appreciative of him. She did not want to give him Herpes in return. That, in my opinion, is selfish.
Leontiskos
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle and Aquinas

Post by Leontiskos »

Sushan wrote: January 7th, 2023, 11:25 amWhat are your thoughts on this dilemma?
It is a false dilemma.
  • "Adam Smith's contrast between self-interested market behavior on the one hand and altruistic, benevolent behavior on the other, obscures from view just those types of activity in which the goods to be achieved are neither mine-rather-than-others' nor others'-rather-than-mine, but instead are goods that can only be mine insofar as they are also those of others, that are genuinely common goods, as the goods of networks of giving and receiving are. But if we need to act for the sake of such common goods, in order to achieve our flourishing as rational animals, then we also need to have transformed our initial desires in a way that enables us to recognize the inadequacy of any simple classification of desires as either egoistic or altruistic. The limitations and blindnesses of merely self-interested desire have been catalogued often enough. Those of a blandly generalized benevolence have received too little attention. What such benevolence presents us with is a generalized Other-one whose only relationship to us is to provide an occasion for the exercise of our benevolence, so that we can reassure ourselves about our own good will-in place of those particular others with whom we must learn to share common goods, and participate in ongoing relationships. What are the qualities needed for such participation? To ask this question returns us to the discussion of the virtues and why they are needed."
  • -Alasdair MacIntyre, Dependent Rational Animals, p. 119
Wrestling with Philosophy since 456 BC

Socrates: He's like that, Hippias, not refined. He's garbage, he cares about nothing but the truth.
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Nletachi Otuokere wrote: May 6th, 2023, 5:48 pm She did eventually stop being a prostitute, but not because of this specific incident. For the first time in her life, a man treated her properly, and she was somewhat appreciative of him. She did not want to give him Herpes in return. That, in my opinion, is selfish.
It seems you're proposing that her desire to protect this man from her sexually transmitted disease is rooted in selfishness, perhaps because she values the unique respect and care he has shown her and wishes to maintain that positive regard. However, I believe the situation might be more complex and nuanced.

It's important to remember that morality is often a subjective, multifaceted construct. The prostitute's actions and thoughts can be seen from different perspectives. The fact that she's considering the potential harm she might cause to this man could indeed be a manifestation of a 'new-found' morality, a shift in her ethical compass prompted by a novel experience of being treated with kindness and respect.

However, labeling this as purely selfish might be an oversimplification. Selfishness implies concern only for one's own interests and advantages, typically with disregard for others. In this case, while she does seem to be concerned about preserving the unique bond she's formed with this man, she's also explicitly worried about his wellbeing. This indicates a level of empathy and compassion that goes beyond pure self-interest.

In addition, her decision to protect him from her past could be interpreted as an act of repentance, a way of atoning for her past actions. Through refraining from infecting him, she could be attempting to break the cycle of harm she has been a part of.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Leontiskos wrote: May 8th, 2023, 12:44 am
Sushan wrote: January 7th, 2023, 11:25 amWhat are your thoughts on this dilemma?
It is a false dilemma.
  • "Adam Smith's contrast between self-interested market behavior on the one hand and altruistic, benevolent behavior on the other, obscures from view just those types of activity in which the goods to be achieved are neither mine-rather-than-others' nor others'-rather-than-mine, but instead are goods that can only be mine insofar as they are also those of others, that are genuinely common goods, as the goods of networks of giving and receiving are. But if we need to act for the sake of such common goods, in order to achieve our flourishing as rational animals, then we also need to have transformed our initial desires in a way that enables us to recognize the inadequacy of any simple classification of desires as either egoistic or altruistic. The limitations and blindnesses of merely self-interested desire have been catalogued often enough. Those of a blandly generalized benevolence have received too little attention. What such benevolence presents us with is a generalized Other-one whose only relationship to us is to provide an occasion for the exercise of our benevolence, so that we can reassure ourselves about our own good will-in place of those particular others with whom we must learn to share common goods, and participate in ongoing relationships. What are the qualities needed for such participation? To ask this question returns us to the discussion of the virtues and why they are needed."
  • -Alasdair MacIntyre, Dependent Rational Animals, p. 119
The quote you've provided from Alasdair MacIntyre's "Dependent Rational Animals" challenges the traditional dichotomy between self-interest and altruism, suggesting that human behavior is often driven by the pursuit of common goods — outcomes that are beneficial for both the individual and others. This perspective is a compelling way to look at the dilemma presented in the narrative.

In the case of the prostitute, her concern for the man's wellbeing and her reluctance to infect him with her illness could be viewed not as an act of self-interest or altruism, but rather as a pursuit of a common good. This common good could be the maintenance of their relationship, the man's health, or the preservation of his perception of her.

By refraining from revealing her illness and potentially transmitting it to him, she secures a good that benefits both of them: he remains uninfected, and she maintains the bond they've formed. This is consistent with MacIntyre's view that there are goods that "can only be mine insofar as they are also those of others."

However, this perspective also raises further questions. For instance, does pursuing a common good in this situation justify her withholding the truth about her condition? Would a more complete realization of the common good involve open communication, even if it potentially threatens their relationship?

Additionally, MacIntyre’s insight about the “blandly generalized benevolence” versus the need to share common goods with “particular others” might prompt us to consider whether the prostitute's actions are influenced by her unique relationship with this man, rather than a generalized sense of benevolence towards all her clients.

By looking at the situation through the lens of common goods, we avoid reducing the prostitute's actions to mere self-interest or altruism, and open up a space for a more nuanced understanding of her motivations and moral dilemmas.

Your thoughts on this would be most enlightening. How do you see the concept of common goods applying to this situation? How does it challenge or enhance your initial understanding of the narrative?

– William James
Bright U
Premium Member

Post by Bright U »

I believe its absolutely moral to turn away from her life of prostitution following the good treatment she received from the man. Choosing to not give him herpes has to be the most selfless act I read about in the book. She wasn't after just her sexual satisfaction. She wanted to make sure this man that treated her so well was good too.
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Bright U wrote: May 25th, 2023, 1:16 am I believe its absolutely moral to turn away from her life of prostitution following the good treatment she received from the man. Choosing to not give him herpes has to be the most selfless act I read about in the book. She wasn't after just her sexual satisfaction. She wanted to make sure this man that treated her so well was good too.
I appreciate your perspective and you make a compelling point about her intentions. However, I would also argue that morality is not just about individual acts, but about consistency and principles. If her decision to protect this man is indeed a moral one, it begs the question: why did she not extend the same consideration to the others she encountered in her past?

It seems that her decision is based more on her personal feelings towards this man, who treated her well, rather than a broad, moral principle of not causing harm to others. This could indicate that her decision is less about morality in the abstract sense, and more about a personal, emotional response.

That said, this could indeed be the start of a 'new-found' morality, as you put it. People's moral compasses can shift over time, often triggered by impactful experiences or relationships. This man's kindness could have been such a trigger for her, making her reconsider her actions and their consequences.

– William James

Return to “Discuss "Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise" by John K Danenbarger”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream