Helping a total stranger with pure sympathy; do we still see that?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2023 Philosophy Book of the MonthEntanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Stoppelmann
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Alan Watts

Re: Helping a total stranger with pure sympathy; do we still see that?

Post by Stoppelmann »

Sculptor1 wrote: February 1st, 2023, 2:45 pm
Stoppelmann wrote: February 1st, 2023, 2:36 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: February 1st, 2023, 2:18 pm
Stoppelmann wrote: February 1st, 2023, 2:35 am
That is probably your experience, as it is mine, but there are exceptions that do reveal a potential that is worth investigating. I think it is also the reason why people started thinking that love is something divine, and to experience it we have to imitate it. It is something like we say of beauty, that it is in the eye of the beholder, or the way a smile often causes a smile, or a laugh causes a laugh. Many people I knew in nursing, especially the older nurses, had a tale to tell of help they had along the way. I'm sure it has an infectious property.
Do you have any example where people offer help unconditionally..

Don't worry - I can wait...
I shall not hold my breath.
The old ladies in the neighbourhood regularly get help from their neighbours, but you would say they do it conditionally, and we go shopping for one regularly, because we are able, not for any wage. When our cellar was flooded, about ten neighbours came and heped spontaneously, even they weren't affected. When a woman without any family quarantined herself because of covid and was having a hard time, people rallied to cook, wash and shop for her. These are just recent examples in a small house of flats.
And do you believe in the Christian god?
I believe that there is a wholesome, beneficial way of living, and there is an egotistical way to live, but my neighbours are not Godfearing people at all.
“Find someone who makes you realise three things:
One, that home is not a place, but a feeling.
Two, that time is not measured by a clock, but by moments.
And three, that heartbeats are not heard, but felt and shared.”
― Abhysheq Shukla
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Stoppelmann wrote: February 1st, 2023, 2:49 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: February 1st, 2023, 2:45 pm
Stoppelmann wrote: February 1st, 2023, 2:36 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: February 1st, 2023, 2:18 pm

Do you have any example where people offer help unconditionally..

Don't worry - I can wait...
I shall not hold my breath.
The old ladies in the neighbourhood regularly get help from their neighbours, but you would say they do it conditionally, and we go shopping for one regularly, because we are able, not for any wage. When our cellar was flooded, about ten neighbours came and heped spontaneously, even they weren't affected. When a woman without any family quarantined herself because of covid and was having a hard time, people rallied to cook, wash and shop for her. These are just recent examples in a small house of flats.
And do you believe in the Christian god?
I believe that there is a wholesome, beneficial way of living, and there is an egotistical way to live, but my neighbours are not Godfearing people at all.
That's a round about way of avoiding the question.
Stoppelmann
Premium Member

Post by Stoppelmann »

Sculptor1 wrote: February 1st, 2023, 5:09 pm And do you believe in the Christian god?
That is a way of saying that you will claim that everything depends on something else, and is therefore conditional. I am saying that the people I listed were spontaneous in their assistance, and whether they were doing it for a reason, I do not know. It was more a case of, I can, I will. Probably others thought that they couldn't, for example those who already need help, and so they didn't help.

I still claim that love, also neighbourly love, is a feeling of belonging, and spontaneous acts of benevolence, be they small in our estimation, can be jewels of compassion that pay out at later times. A "good morning," a smile, a short talk when meeting on the path, a gathering in the hall, or in front of the house on New Years Eve, an invitation to the terrace in the summer, a barbecue on the lawn in front of the house, looking after plants when people are on vacation, and many more examples encourage that bond. People who live in such an environment, may be spontaneous outside as well, because it has become normal.

It is secular, not religious in a formal sense, but in an informal sense. You may have noticed that I understand God to be the ground of being, the primary consciousness out of which we all emerge, and to which we all return. We belong in that, and each feeling of belonging we experience is a reminder of that. So, benevolence is for me a religious act, whether the person is formally or nominally a member of a religious society or not.
― Abhysheq Shukla
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Stoppelmann wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 1:15 am
Sculptor1 wrote: February 1st, 2023, 5:09 pm And do you believe in the Christian god?
That is a way of saying that you will claim that everything depends on something else, and is therefore conditional. I am saying that the people I listed were spontaneous in their assistance, and whether they were doing it for a reason, I do not know. It was more a case of, I can, I will. Probably others thought that they couldn't, for example those who already need help, and so they didn't help.

I still claim that love, also neighbourly love, is a feeling of belonging, and spontaneous acts of benevolence, be they small in our estimation, can be jewels of compassion that pay out at later times. A "good morning," a smile, a short talk when meeting on the path, a gathering in the hall, or in front of the house on New Years Eve, an invitation to the terrace in the summer, a barbecue on the lawn in front of the house, looking after plants when people are on vacation, and many more examples encourage that bond. People who live in such an environment, may be spontaneous outside as well, because it has become normal.

It is secular, not religious in a formal sense, but in an informal sense. You may have noticed that I understand God to be the ground of being, the primary consciousness out of which we all emerge, and to which we all return. We belong in that, and each feeling of belonging we experience is a reminder of that. So, benevolence is for me a religious act, whether the person is formally or nominally a member of a religious society or not.
Woe betide anyone who, having received some help at some point did not reciprocate.
Stoppelmann
Premium Member

Post by Stoppelmann »

Sculptor1 wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 5:20 am Woe betide anyone who, having received some help at some point did not reciprocate.
What a sad statement, warranted by nothing I have written, and indeed in opposition to what I was giving as examples.

What disappointment has made you so pessimistic?
― Abhysheq Shukla
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Stoppelmann wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 5:28 am
Sculptor1 wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 5:20 am Woe betide anyone who, having received some help at some point did not reciprocate.
What a sad statement, warranted by nothing I have written, and indeed in opposition to what I was giving as examples.

What disappointment has made you so pessimistic?
You know it is true.
When you receive help do you not feel under obligation. Be honest!
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

"Pure sympathy" i.e. not empathy or obedience to a moral code, is spontaneous. You can feel sympathy only where the object of sympathy is immediately present, or where the object of sympathy is excellently portrayed by a poet or artist or your own imagination.
Agent Smyth

Post by Agent Smyth »

Many crimes are unreported. I guess the same goes for good deeds as well. Underreporting for various reasons f*cks up our calculations, any conclusions drawn from such poor-quality data is bound to be, at best half-right or at worst completely wrong. That's when we call in the national guard if you catch me drift.
Never send a man to do a machine's job. 8)
Dalia Chaouaf
Premium Member

Post by Dalia Chaouaf »

Sushan wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 10:52 pm This topic is about the January 2023 Philosophy Book of the Month, Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Joe, a gay stripper, saved Beth, a prostitute, from dying from malnutrition, and treated and nourished her with his hard earned money. They had no connection in between, and Joe had no benefits by doing so. When Beth asked for a reason to treating her like that, all that Joe said was "I saw my mother die".

What do you think about Joe? Is he a real character or just a fictional one? Is this the good Samaritan? Do such people still exist?
I think that compassion is still present in the world. Yes, it is harder to find, but there are good samaritans who just enjoy helping others without any benefit. It may be a silly example, but you can see it in those experimental videos that circulate in social medias such as youtube, Instagram or tiktok where there's a person (or sometimes even a child) struggling with something -money, health, or even carrying something- and you can clearly see how different strangers react to those scenarios.

There are surprisingly very many people who are willing to stop whatever they are doing just to help a person in need. There's still hope in humanity I think!

Return to “Discuss "Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise" by John K Danenbarger”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream