Why humans matter the most rather than any other living being?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2023 Philosophy Book of the Month, Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul by Mitzi Perdue
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader

Re: Why humans matter the most rather than any other living being?

Post by Sushan »

Yasmine M wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 4:19 am Humans matter the most to humans. I don't think we matter that much to other living being. The wolf pack will defend one of their own against humans. But the truth is that the humans do not consider all living being on the same level. Humans love and care for their house pets (dogs, cats, ...), their friendly animals such as horses. Basically, every animal that seems to interact and make a connection with humans is favored, loved and cared for. Most humans do not fancy eating dogs and cats.
On the other hand, chickens just go about their selfish ways, ignoring humans and even ignoring other chickens around them. Fishes are the same. They seem to lack emotions, intelligence, memory, conscious. However, does that make it right for us humans to use this kind of animals for our own benefits? Are they here for the humans to eat and use? Were they made emotionless and without memory nor intelligence to make it easy for humans to use without guilt? Or, are all the above qualify as excuses we make from our survival instinct and the need for animal product food?
It's true that humans often prioritize their own well-being and the well-being of animals with which they share a close bond or connection. However, this does not mean that it is inherently justified to treat other living beings, such as chickens or fish, as lesser beings or to use them for our own benefit without considering their welfare.

The question of how we should treat animals hinges on a broader ethical debate. Some argue that animals, regardless of their perceived intelligence or emotional capacity, deserve moral consideration and should be treated with kindness and respect. Others contend that human needs and desires take precedence, and that the use of animals for food or other purposes is justifiable.

It is important to recognize that our actions and choices have consequences, not only for ourselves and our fellow humans but also for the world around us. Many people are becoming more aware of the ethical implications of using animals for food, clothing, or other purposes, and are making efforts to live more sustainably and compassionately.

As we continue to grapple with these complex ethical questions, it is crucial to engage in open and respectful dialogue. By doing so, we can gain a better understanding of the different perspectives and explore ways to create a more compassionate and sustainable world for all living beings.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 11:30 am
Yasmine M wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 4:19 am Humans matter the most to humans. I don't think we matter that much to other living being. The wolf pack will defend one of their own against humans. But the truth is that the humans do not consider all living being on the same level. Humans love and care for their house pets (dogs, cats, ...), their friendly animals such as horses. Basically, every animal that seems to interact and make a connection with humans is favored, loved and cared for. Most humans do not fancy eating dogs and cats.
I offer this observation, as an example, referring to horses, as you have done. Horses are not "friendly animals", I don't think, in the sense that we and they are in some sense 'friends'.

Horses are held by us in captivity. They are forced to breed, live, and die in our service, in slavery. They are forced to carry heavy loads, and humans too. They are forced to behave as we wish them to behave. This may not be immediately obvious to humans, but if we were horses, I expect it would be crystal clear...?
You raise an interesting point about the nature of our relationship with animals like horses, which can be seen as a form of captivity and servitude. It's essential to consider the ethical implications of how we interact with and utilize animals for our own purposes, whether it be for work, transportation, or companionship.

As society evolves and our understanding of animal welfare and rights expands, we must continually reevaluate our relationships with animals and strive to minimize their suffering and ensure their well-being. It's important to acknowledge the power dynamics at play and work towards more equitable and respectful treatment of animals.

There are instances where humans have developed more compassionate relationships with animals, such as sanctuaries and rescue organizations, which prioritize the animals' well-being and provide them with a life free from suffering and exploitation. However, it is an ongoing challenge to balance our needs and desires as humans with the ethical treatment and welfare of animals.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Agent Smyth wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 5:18 am That's true. Humans are the most important species on the planet - they have abilities other living things can scarcely fathom. If there's a touch of tragedy in all this, it's that the results are not all too encouraging. A bit of an anticlimax that! Forward march!
It's true that humans possess unique abilities and intelligence compared to other species. However, our status as the dominant species on the planet also brings with it the responsibility to consider the impact of our actions on other living beings and the environment.

It's important to recognize that while humans may have a higher level of cognitive ability and the capacity for complex thought and problem-solving, this does not inherently give us the right to disregard the well-being of other living creatures. Instead, we should use our intelligence and empathy to work towards creating a world in which both humans and animals can coexist with minimal suffering.

In life and death situations, it's natural for us to prioritize our own species, as it is an instinctive response driven by our survival mechanisms. However, as conscious beings with the capacity for reason and empathy, we have the power to make deliberate choices to minimize harm to other living beings when it is within our means.

– William James
Yasmine M
Premium Member

Post by Yasmine M »

I offer this observation, as an example, referring to horses, as you have done. Horses are not "friendly animals", I don't think, in the sense that we and they are in some sense 'friends'.

Horses are held by us in captivity. They are forced to breed, live, and die in our service, in slavery. They are forced to carry heavy loads, and humans too. They are forced to behave as we wish them to behave. This may not be immediately obvious to humans, but if we were horses, I expect it would be crystal clear...?
I agree with you Pattern-chaser about the relationship between horses and humans. By "friendly" I meant horses seem to accept their relationship with humans and most of the time they do not show agressivity toward us. But indeed when I think about it, horses live in captivity and are used by us. Although they have big outdoor spaces to gallop and roam around and although they are well taken care of (most of the time) by their owners, they are not completely free. That was a bad example I gave there. But my point remain, the observation that humans do not consider all living being at the same level.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Yasmine M wrote: April 13th, 2023, 5:00 am But my point remain, the observation that humans do not consider all living being at the same level.
Oh yes, we are in total agreement there! 👍
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Yasmine M wrote: April 13th, 2023, 5:00 am

I agree with you Pattern-chaser about the relationship between horses and humans. By "friendly" I meant horses seem to accept their relationship with humans and most of the time they do not show agressivity toward us. But indeed when I think about it, horses live in captivity and are used by us. Although they have big outdoor spaces to gallop and roam around and although they are well taken care of (most of the time) by their owners, they are not completely free. That was a bad example I gave there. But my point remain, the observation that humans do not consider all living being at the same level.
Your point is well-taken, and it's true that humans generally don't consider all living beings at the same level. This is partly due to cultural, social, and historical factors that have shaped our relationships with different animals. Our interactions with animals are often based on our needs, preferences, and emotional connections with them, rather than on objective criteria or ethical considerations.

It's essential for us to recognize this bias and work towards a more compassionate and informed understanding of our relationships with animals. By engaging in conversations like these, we can challenge our perspectives and strive to create a world where the interests and well-being of all living beings are taken into account.

As we continue to learn more about the complex inner lives of animals and their capacity for suffering, it's crucial that we reevaluate our practices and priorities to minimize harm and promote a more ethical coexistence with the other creatures that share our planet.

– William James
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 11:30 am I offer this observation, as an example, referring to horses, as you have done. Horses are not "friendly animals", I don't think, in the sense that we and they are in some sense 'friends'.

Yasmine M wrote: April 13th, 2023, 5:00 am I agree with you Pattern-chaser about the relationship between horses and humans. By "friendly" I meant horses seem to accept their relationship with humans and most of the time they do not show agressivity toward us. But indeed when I think about it, horses live in captivity and are used by us. Although they have big outdoor spaces to gallop and roam around and although they are well taken care of (most of the time) by their owners, they are not completely free. That was a bad example I gave there. But my point remain, the observation that humans do not consider all living being at the same level.
Sushan wrote: April 21st, 2023, 12:09 am Your point is well-taken, and it's true that humans generally don't consider all living beings at the same level. This is partly due to cultural, social, and historical factors that have shaped our relationships with different animals. Our interactions with animals are often based on our needs, preferences, and emotional connections with them, rather than on objective criteria or ethical considerations.

It's essential for us to recognize this bias and work towards a more compassionate and informed understanding of our relationships with animals. By engaging in conversations like these, we can challenge our perspectives and strive to create a world where the interests and well-being of all living beings are taken into account.

As we continue to learn more about the complex inner lives of animals and their capacity for suffering, it's crucial that we reevaluate our practices and priorities to minimize harm and promote a more ethical coexistence with the other creatures that share our planet.
We can disguise what we do, and what we have done, with words like "cultural" and "social factors", but the simple truth is that we uncaringly (ab)use any and every part of our world as we choose, for our own benefit, without regard for anything or anyone else. We are a sociopathic — or maybe even psychopathic? — species. There are no sound reasons or justifications for what we do, no matter what posh-sounding terms we use to euphemise our conduct.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 21st, 2023, 8:29 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 11:30 am I offer this observation, as an example, referring to horses, as you have done. Horses are not "friendly animals", I don't think, in the sense that we and they are in some sense 'friends'.

Yasmine M wrote: April 13th, 2023, 5:00 am I agree with you Pattern-chaser about the relationship between horses and humans. By "friendly" I meant horses seem to accept their relationship with humans and most of the time they do not show agressivity toward us. But indeed when I think about it, horses live in captivity and are used by us. Although they have big outdoor spaces to gallop and roam around and although they are well taken care of (most of the time) by their owners, they are not completely free. That was a bad example I gave there. But my point remain, the observation that humans do not consider all living being at the same level.
Sushan wrote: April 21st, 2023, 12:09 am Your point is well-taken, and it's true that humans generally don't consider all living beings at the same level. This is partly due to cultural, social, and historical factors that have shaped our relationships with different animals. Our interactions with animals are often based on our needs, preferences, and emotional connections with them, rather than on objective criteria or ethical considerations.

We can disguise what we do, and what we have done, with words like "cultural" and "social factors", but the simple truth is that we uncaringly (ab)use any and every part of our world as we choose, for our own benefit, without regard for anything or anyone else. We are a sociopathic — or maybe even psychopathic? — species. There are no sound reasons or justifications for what we do, no matter what posh-sounding terms we use to euphemise our conduct.
It's true that humans have a long history of exploiting the environment and other living beings for our benefit, often without considering the ethical implications of our actions. However, it's important to remember that not all humans engage in these harmful behaviors, and there are many individuals and organizations working towards a more compassionate and sustainable coexistence with our planet and its inhabitants.

Recognizing the negative impact of our actions and the need for change is a crucial step towards improvement. By having discussions like this one, we can raise awareness, challenge our preconceptions, and work towards creating a more ethical and sustainable world.

While it's essential to be honest about our shortcomings as a species, it's also important to acknowledge the potential for positive change. There are countless examples of people who have dedicated their lives to the protection of animals, the environment, and the well-being of others. By supporting and amplifying these efforts, we can help to shift societal norms and create a more compassionate world for all living beings.

It's not too late to address our past mistakes and strive for a better future. By working together and embracing empathy, we can create meaningful change and ensure a more harmonious relationship with our planet and its inhabitants.

– William James

Return to “Discuss "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream