Personally written wisdom sayings

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Greta
Site Admin

Re: Personally written wisdom sayings

Post by Greta » June 9th, 2018, 7:15 pm

On the other hand, Hobbes, I did not expect more from you than catchy but ill-willed criticisms, made without any basis. SNAFU.

-1-

Post by -1- » June 10th, 2018, 7:48 am

ThomasHobbes wrote:
June 9th, 2018, 5:52 pm
Any idiot can created four goal-posts post hoc and declare themselves the winner. I expect more from you than such childish theatrics.
Look at who moved goal-posts:

1. You, TH, misappropriated a quote.
2. You, TH, first accused and blamed people for blaming inanimate objects for things they create; then in a sudden twist of goal-posts, you blame the people who not CREATE but USE these creations.

And then you have the audacity to tell others that others move goal-posts (who did not, they just had the "audacity" to tell you how wrong you were), while you have practically put wheels on yours.
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.

ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes » June 10th, 2018, 3:52 pm

-1- wrote:
June 10th, 2018, 7:48 am
ThomasHobbes wrote:
Any idiot can created four goal-posts post hoc and declare themselves the winner. I expect more from you than such childish theatrics.

1. You, TH, misappropriated a quote.
No I did not. I misattributed a quote. But just because it was you and not another person does not change that fact that you were still WRONG.
2. You, TH, first accused and blamed people for blaming inanimate objects for things they create; then in a sudden twist of goal-posts, you blame the people who not CREATE but USE these creations.
Your understanding of the argument is missing basic cognition - just like the foolish remark you made in the first place by attributing inanimate objects a will! Which is still risible.

And then you have the audacity to tell others that others move goal-posts (who did not, they just had the "audacity" to tell you how wrong you were), while you have practically put wheels on yours.
LOL

Greta
Site Admin

Post by Greta » June 10th, 2018, 6:13 pm

-1- wrote:
June 10th, 2018, 7:48 am
ThomasHobbes wrote:
He created the goal posts. There were none - people were just sprouting their little sayings. Having seen Hobbes in action for some years, receiving a patient and well argued critique from him is not something you would expect, although on rare occasions it has happened.

Usually his responses ooze with contempt and "superiority", coupled with trendy ad hominem attacks, which for some reason people seem to have forgotten is a weak and invalid way to make a point.

-1-

Post by -1- » June 13th, 2018, 10:45 am

Greta wrote:
June 10th, 2018, 6:13 pm

He (ThomasHobbes) created the goal posts. There were none - people were just sprouting their little sayings. Having seen Hobbes in action for some years, receiving a patient and well argued critique from him is not something you would expect, although on rare occasions it has happened.

Usually his responses ooze with contempt and "superiority", coupled with trendy ad hominem attacks, which for some reason people seem to have forgotten is a weak and invalid way to make a point.
The entire response by him would not bother me, the only thing is that he is being hypocritical, which began with him being wrong, and he does not live up to his namesake's reputation of admitting he is wrong.

Just a hard-headed iron-hatted anally retentive self-absorbed egomaniac, TH is. But we all are that, to some extent. He is just beyond the extent that is acceptable by my standards of what is reasonably expected by forum members who contribute.

If you can't take the heat, get out, but don't lie and don't blame others for your own mistakes, TH, especially not when you commit hypocrisy in the one and same act.

There are two types of forum participants that you can't reason with: one is the religious nut, which TH is not; the other is the one that has such a weak ego that s/he can never admit s/he is wrong.

It is futile to argue with either of these two kinds.

Dachshund

Post by Dachshund » June 15th, 2018, 2:53 am

So very often, the eye sees, the mind knows and the heart feels, but words can never express...the beauty and the horror that we encounter in our lives.

Gamnot

Post by Gamnot » June 21st, 2018, 1:05 pm

It is good to be able to distinguish between an attack upon a wolf wearing sheep's clothing and an attack upon the clothing that the wolf is wearing including such things as: love, peace, and understanding. Strongly narcissistic people intent upon manipulation and exploitation are able to merge in with sincere people of good will.

Gamnot

Post by Gamnot » June 23rd, 2018, 4:28 pm

I am against the practice of constellatory thinking and the practice of making dire commitments to pre-emptory; not well thought out conclusions.

Gamnot

Post by Gamnot » June 23rd, 2018, 5:07 pm

Being the best and brightest does not cut it in this generation. You must be the best, brightest, and toughest. You can be superlative at anything, but what counts is the strength of your tough-mindedness and your degree of hardiness.

Gamnot

Post by Gamnot » June 25th, 2018, 12:38 pm

It is good to have a balance between principles and pragmatic values. It would be problematic to have principles ossified and corrupted into what Jean Paul Sartre referred to as a project of sincerity. It would also be problematic to have pragmatic values that corrupted into mere expediency without being grounded in principles. Ethics begins with the consideration of ends and means, but it does not end there. It should ideally be considered that noble ends and principled means is the best policy.

ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes » June 25th, 2018, 3:30 pm

-1- wrote:
June 13th, 2018, 10:45 am
Greta wrote:
June 10th, 2018, 6:13 pm

He (ThomasHobbes) created the goal posts. There were none - people were just sprouting their little sayings. Having seen Hobbes in action for some years, receiving a patient and well argued critique from him is not something you would expect, although on rare occasions it has happened.

The entire response by him would not bother me, the only thing is that he is being hypocritical, which began with him being wrong, and he does not live up to his namesake's reputation of admitting he is wrong.

Just a hard-headed iron-hatted anally retentive self-absorbed egomaniac, TH is. But we all are that, to some extent. He is just beyond the extent that is acceptable by my standards of what is reasonably expected by forum members who contribute.

If you can't take the heat, get out, but don't lie and don't blame others for your own mistakes, TH, especially not when you commit hypocrisy in the one and same act.

There are two types of forum participants that you can't reason with: one is the religious nut, which TH is not; the other is the one that has such a weak ego that s/he can never admit s/he is wrong.

It is futile to argue with either of these two kinds.
You and Greta should get a room together and congratulate yourselves that the moderation of this Forum is non existent.
You little scamps!

-1-

Post by -1- » June 27th, 2018, 9:48 am

I have a different suggestion: Practice some logical thinking to admit that you were wrong in this instance. You did move the goal posts, and you did charge others with something they did not do but you did. The more you protest this charge, and the more you try to deny it, the tighter your lack of reason wraps around you. I mean, after all, the debate and the supporting reasons are for all to see. Your endeavour in this matter is as transparently wrong as a Christian saying that 3 = 1, and expect others to believe it, and try to hide at the same time the obvious and historical truth.

I have to admit I agree with most of your posts in other threads, and I am not doing this forcing you to admit wrongness with Glee, or even with Greta, as you charge. But here you erred, and it would be nice to read that you admit you erred. That would provide a WHOLE new amount of credibility to your ways and worthiness as a debater.

Gamnot

Post by Gamnot » June 27th, 2018, 2:33 pm

I have been thinking of love as a sentiment on a continuum between indifference and madness. This is the same as hate except love is a positive sentiment in contrast to hate which is a negative sentiment.

Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost » June 28th, 2018, 12:45 pm

To be knowledgeable is to know one’s ignorance. To be wise is to forgive it.
AKA badgerjelly

Greta
Site Admin

Post by Greta » June 28th, 2018, 6:27 pm

I like it, BG, but there is an unfortunate corollary for today's situation: To forgive one's ignorance is wise, to embrace it is madness.