The March Philosophy Book of the Month is Final Notice by Van Fleisher. Discuss Final Notice now.

The April Philosophy Book of the Month is The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight. Discuss The Unbound Soul Now

The May Philosophy Book of the Month is Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler.

If You had the Power of God, How would you change the World?

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Felix

Re: If You had the Power of God, How would you change the World?

Post by Felix » May 13th, 2019, 12:14 am

Greta: "The qualities gained along the way of humanity's evolutionary history are not lost but, as I say, rationalised."

I am saying that human intelligence is multi-faceted and reason is just one aspect of it. It includes intuition, emotional sensitivity and empathy, and other nonlogical perceptual faculties. Paring it down to analytical reason alone will excise our humanity in the process. I know you are a musician, if you boiled down the music you enjoy to a series of computer algorithms, what would become of it?

Greta: "Remember, the US is not the vanguard any more so we can assume that, whatever we are told these days is behind the cutting edge. While the Confederates are getting restless in the US, China is pulling ahead (since they don't have a huge and well-resources anti-science faction holding them back) and their advances are not always being reported in the west."

No ethical principles to hold them back either... I wouldn't hold up China as an example because they are proving the point I just made: they are refining and utilizing AI for the express purpose of spying on and oppressing their citizens - cold hard logic in action.

Greta: "By the time we humans can no longer live on a stripped Earth, you'd expect AI to be highly advanced and capable of self-support and self-improvement in the absence of humans."

The problem is that "self improvement" becomes a dreadful curse when a completely self-centered entity pursues it.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin

UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien » May 13th, 2019, 5:40 am

From the famous scientist Carl Sagan:

“How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, “This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant?” Instead they say, “No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.” A religion, old or new, that stressed the magnificence of the Universe as revealed by modern science might be able to draw forth reserves of reverence and awe hardly tapped by the conventional faiths.”
― Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space

UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien » May 27th, 2019, 7:54 pm

UniversalAlien wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 5:40 am
From the famous scientist Carl Sagan:

“How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, “This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant?” Instead they say, “No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.” A religion, old or new, that stressed the magnificence of the Universe as revealed by modern science might be able to draw forth reserves of reverence and awe hardly tapped by the conventional faiths.”
― Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space
True? - Reasonable and makes sense, agreed?

Now try this - The Atheists are right, there is no provable creator, no reason to believe there is a
Prima Facie reason to believe there is any reason for existence.

And yet........In a World, a Quantum World, where every possibility must be considered
- In this World, the World you live in - The non-existent creator becomes inevitable.
- the state of pure logic, absolute intelligence will at some point be reached
- At that point chaos yields and reason rules.

A state of God? - I still don't know what that means - do You ?

From Max Planck, one of the founders of Quantum Mechanics and winner of the Noble Prize:

“Religion and natural science are fighting a joint battle in an incessant, never relaxing crusade against skepticism and against dogmatism, against unbelief and superstition... [and therefore] 'On to God!”
― Max Planck

Greta
Site Admin

Post by Greta » May 28th, 2019, 2:07 am

Felix wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 12:14 am
I am saying that human intelligence is multi-faceted and reason is just one aspect of it. It includes intuition, emotional sensitivity and empathy, and other nonlogical perceptual faculties. Paring it down to analytical reason alone will excise our humanity in the process. I know you are a musician, if you boiled down the music you enjoy to a series of computer algorithms, what would become of it?
It would sound like much of today's music.

Trouble is, if we are to do achieve anything in space, it's got to be machines because biology and space don't mix. Humans have a shelf life, even failing our recklessness, so ultimately the story must be continued by our machine successors.
Felix wrote:
No ethical principles to hold them back either... I wouldn't hold up China as an example because they are proving the point I just made: they are refining and utilizing AI for the express purpose of spying on and oppressing their citizens - cold hard logic in action.
The only good guys today are too small to matter. It feels a bit like Hitler won after all, just 70 years late.

Greta: "By the time we humans can no longer live on a stripped Earth, you'd expect AI to be highly advanced and capable of self-support and self-improvement in the absence of humans."
Felix wrote:
The problem is that "self improvement" becomes a dreadful curse when a completely self-centered entity pursues it.
Well, we humans are hardly in a position to criticise any other entity's morality when our own is degrading - and it didn't start from an especially high point.