A music / listening share thread?

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Steve3007
Favorite Philosopher: Eratosthenes of Cyrene

Re: A music / listening share thread?

Post by Steve3007 » September 13th, 2020, 2:34 pm

"I loaded our belongings and I lit out for town..."
I never get sick of listening to that okie way Woody Guthrie talked and sang.

Papus79

Post by Papus79 » September 14th, 2020, 10:25 am

People aren't fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, we're fundamentally trying to survive. It's the environment and culture which tells us what that's going to be.

Greta
Site Admin

Post by Greta » September 14th, 2020, 11:35 pm

Steve3007 wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 1:08 pm
Somehow seems like the most cruel and heartless murder that Anton Chigurh commits, given that guy's natural old fashioned salt of the earth neighbourliness and open chattiness.
That happened because Anton's theme song is

:)

Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 » September 15th, 2020, 1:56 am

Greta wrote:That happened because Anton's theme song is...
Yes! :) . The poor guy made the mistake of asking Anton where he was flying to, just so he could advise him whether to fly from Dallas or El Paso. Whenever Anton meets a new person he really should say: "Listen mate. A word to the wise: if you ask me any questions, even if they're just clarifying questions with the purpose of allowing you to help me better, then there's at least a 50/50 chance that I'll kill you. You might want to just bear that in mind."

I suppose Anton's habit of using a coin toss to try to push responsibility for his murders from his own free will to random chance, or fate, means that, if he were real, he'd probably find some of the discussions here quite interesting. In fact, he'd probably fit in quite well.

Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 » September 15th, 2020, 2:00 am

I wonder if the writer of "No Country For Old Men" had "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead" in mind with the whole coin toss thing.

Greta
Site Admin

Post by Greta » September 15th, 2020, 7:48 am

Steve3007 wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 1:56 am
Greta wrote:That happened because Anton's theme song is...
Yes! :) . The poor guy made the mistake of asking Anton where he was flying to, just so he could advise him whether to fly from Dallas or El Paso. Whenever Anton meets a new person he really should say: "Listen mate. A word to the wise: if you ask me any questions, even if they're just clarifying questions with the purpose of allowing you to help me better, then there's at least a 50/50 chance that I'll kill you. You might want to just bear that in mind."

I suppose Anton's habit of using a coin toss to try to push responsibility for his murders from his own free will to random chance, or fate, means that, if he were real, he'd probably find some of the discussions here quite interesting. In fact, he'd probably fit in quite well.
:lol: :lol:

If he was on the board, I would let him do whatever he wanted, even if he was acting as an agent for a Nigerian Prince in need of a place to safeguard his fortune.

Nice soundtrack, though.

Pattern-chaser
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser » September 15th, 2020, 9:44 am

Steve3007 wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 1:08 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote:This intrigued me too...
Thanks for doing that research! I'd suspected that "light" was related to "alight", in the dust context, but as a synonym for "attack" - wouldn't have guessed that at all.
Nor me. But that reminded me of "he punched his lights out", and "he lamped him one" (meaning "he punched him")....
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Papus79

Post by Papus79 » September 15th, 2020, 10:12 am

People aren't fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, we're fundamentally trying to survive. It's the environment and culture which tells us what that's going to be.

Papus79

Post by Papus79 » September 16th, 2020, 8:20 pm