Happy Pride Month to my LGBTQ friends! 🧡

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Happy Pride Month to my LGBTQ friends! 🧡

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Happy Pride Month to my LGBTQ friends!

I may be cis, super straight, and 100% toxically masculine, but I'm proud of your pride, and proud to count you as a friend.

I am an advocate for not only political freedom (a.k.a. nonviolence) but also spiritual freedom, meaning to fully be yourself, your true free-spirited unabashed self. In other words, I support not only the political freedom of physical nonviolence, but also a broader analogous emotional acceptance--a love in itself--in terms of the policy of live and let live.

I believe the beauty of freedom is the diversity it engenders. Freedom is beautifully creative, not just in humans but also in the dancing and creativity of the entire universe.

If you are different than me, I love you that much more for it, because as much as I love looking at this very very beautiful guy in the mirror, I like seeing the beautiful dancing novelty in the world now and again too. 🙂
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
LuckyR

Re: Happy Pride Month to my LGBTQ friends! 🧡

Post by LuckyR »

Why is it only a month?
"As usual... it depends."
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

LuckyR wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 2:27 am Why is it only a month?
I don't know why the creators of Pride Month made it only a month, as opposed to maybe a Pride Quarter or Pride Season.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

LuckyR wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 2:27 am Why is it only a month?
Mothers only get a day
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

I live in Brighton. It's like the UK's San Fransiscos.
Pride is a complete hoot, especially the parade.
The Website is a bit tame and anodyne but you get the picture.

https://www.brighton-pride.org
MAYA EL

Post by MAYA EL »

I shouldn't know your sexual preference unless im looking for a person to phuck and if im not looking to phuck then we shouldn't ever talk about your sex preference

But for some reason the situation the world seems to be in at the moment which is a perspective that confused or sexually traumatised people that have developed a neurosis demand that the world openly expresses some form of public acceptance for there condition is just ridiculous.

I don't think it's a "sin" i think it's a defect because the person cannot reproduce so long as there "preference" is available and in the animal kingdom if there is a defect that's detrimental to the species it will typically have trouble reproducing so to not kill out the entire species . so if you like the same sex or not it didn't matter keep it to your self .
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

MAYA EL wrote: June 13th, 2021, 12:40 am I shouldn't know your sexual preference unless im looking for a person to phuck and if im not looking to phuck then we shouldn't ever talk about your sex preference

But for some reason the situation the world seems to be in at the moment which is a perspective that confused or sexually traumatised people that have developed a neurosis demand that the world openly expresses some form of public acceptance for there condition is just ridiculous.

I don't think it's a "sin" i think it's a defect because the person cannot reproduce so long as there "preference" is available and in the animal kingdom if there is a defect that's detrimental to the species it will typically have trouble reproducing so to not kill out the entire species . so if you like the same sex or not it didn't matter keep it to your self .
Ah yes, don't ask, don't tell. That was once the plan.
"As usual... it depends."
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

MAYA EL wrote:I shouldn't know your sexual preference unless im looking for a person to phuck and if im not looking to phuck then we shouldn't ever talk about your sex preference
Would you apply this rule to all preferences? Should I refrain from discussing my food preferences with others? In my experience, there are certain subjects that most people find naturally interesting and so like to discuss them, just for the shared enjoyment of discussion and learning about what makes other people tick. Among them are food and sex. What's wrong with that?
MAYA EL

Post by MAYA EL »

Steve3007 wrote: June 15th, 2021, 4:50 am
MAYA EL wrote:I shouldn't know your sexual preference unless im looking for a person to phuck and if im not looking to phuck then we shouldn't ever talk about your sex preference
Would you apply this rule to all preferences? Should I refrain from discussing my food preferences with others? In my experience, there are certain subjects that most people find naturally interesting and so like to discuss them, just for the shared enjoyment of discussion and learning about what makes other people tick. Among them are food and sex. What's wrong with that?
the "rule" a person has for a specific something
Cannot be applied to everything else in life and you know that or at least you should know that.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

MAYA EL wrote:the "rule" a person has for a specific something
Cannot be applied to everything else in life and you know that or at least you should know that.
OK. So you're not interested in trying to understand anything about other people, from their own perspective? In my view, sexuality is one, but obviously not all, of the things that make a person what they are. And talking to people is the best way to get to know them. I think it's a pity that the old "don't ever talk about it and hope that makes it go away" attitude still exists in the 21st Century in societies where it doesn't need to exist. You don't need to look far to see how damaging that attitude has been in the past.

But obviously you have a right to do as you please.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Is this through all of the northern hemisphere? In Oz we have Mardi Gras late Feb. These days I avoid crowds like the plague, so it's been a long time since I've seen a parade.

It's a shame that there has to be a "pride month", given that the way one is born is no cause for pride, it just is. However, I understand that showing pride is a response to the constant put-downs that queer people receive, often from childhood and continuing to some extent throughout life. So "pride" in context is to resist the demand of haters to detest oneself, simply for the way one happens to be configured.
MAYA EL

Post by MAYA EL »

Steve3007 wrote: June 16th, 2021, 4:34 am
MAYA EL wrote:the "rule" a person has for a specific something
OK. So you're not interested in trying to understand anything about other people, from their own perspective? In my view, sexuality is one, but obviously not all, of the things that make a person what they are. And talking to people is the best way to get to know them. I think it's a pity that the old "don't ever talk about it and hope that makes it go away" attitude still exists in the 21st Century in societies where it doesn't need to exist. You don't need to look far to see how damaging that attitude has been in the past.

But obviously you have a right to do as you please.

How on earth did you come up with that conclusion based off of what i have said? Clearly you have a predetermined negative opinion that you generically project on anyone that even slightly disagrees with gay/trans groups

And i don't need to express my acceptance for a persons sexual preference in order to get to know them

And you seem to think that not talking about a guy liking another man's penis shoved up his ass is some kind of negative thing?

The bedroom is a private sacred place and that has been forgotten in today's society where by the time your 25 you have had sex with over 100 different people and obviously when you've dipped you. WIC in that many different places no duh it feels like something that everyone can talk about because it's not intimate special or unique .
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Sy Borg wrote:Is this through all of the northern hemisphere? In Oz we have Mardi Gras late Feb. These days I avoid crowds like the plague, so it's been a long time since I've seen a parade.
I think everyone who has Mardi Gras has it on a Tuesday in February. Don't they have a big Pride festival in Sydney? I'm sure that's been discussed here before at some time.
It's a shame that there has to be a "pride month", given that the way one is born is no cause for pride, it just is.
That's always the curious thing about these kinds of celebrations. Mother's Day was mentioned earlier in the topic. It's funny (because it's not true) to think that showing pride in the diversity of human sexuality at a particular time implies shame at other times, or that we hate out mothers for 364 days of the year. :D
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

MAYA EL wrote:How on earth did you come up with that conclusion based off of what i have said?
Because you expressed the opinion that one "shouldn't" know the sexual preference of another person unless you want to "phuck" them, as you put it. Hasn't it occurred to you that it's simply an interesting subject for most people?
And i don't need to express my acceptance for a persons sexual preference in order to get to know them
No, you don't need to express any preferences for anything. I didn't say you did. I just said that talking to somebody is a good way to get to know them and that sexuality is an important part, but not the only part, of what we are. Do you disagree?
And you seem to think that not talking about a guy liking another man's penis shoved up his ass is some kind of negative thing?
Talking about sexuality doesn't have to be about that. Haven't you ever had a conversation with friends or family about any aspect of sex?
The bedroom is a private sacred place and that has been forgotten in today's society where by the time your 25 you have had sex with over 100 different people and obviously when you've dipped you. WIC in that many different places no duh it feels like something that everyone can talk about because it's not intimate special or unique .
The trouble is, you make these wild general assumptions about what other people - "today's society" - are doing. So you're clearly interested, but don't want to actually ask them. It seems you'd rather just speculate and fume about what you imagine this person called "today's society" to be doing. That, in my opinion, is not healthy.

Fun conversations about sex don't stop it from being a private and special thing. My partner, for example, when meeting for a glass of wine and a chat with her friends rarely has a conversation in which sex, in one way or another, doesn't come up. It's healthy and normal to talk about things that you're interested in and which are an important part of life. It's an excellent way to work through all of the anxieties around sex with people you trust. It's unhealthy to dictate that they "shouldn't" discuss them and then fume about the debauched lives you imagine other people to live. That's my view. As I said, you're entitled to yours.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Me and my partner are both in our 50's. Her friends are mostly around the same age. So naturally a lot of their conversations about sex are about how they're not getting much! Or any! Nothing wrong with that. One of the biggest causes of anxiety is ignorance about how other people live their lives, largely because the gap in knowledge tends to be filled by the misleading speculations and outright falsehoods of the media. And if you believe the media you'll generally tend to believe that everyone is having sex the whole time. News flash: They're not.

Finding out, via discussion, that you're not some kind of freak or aberration goes a long way to calming people's anxieties. That goes for all aspects of sex, whether it's finding out that you're not the first gay person who ever lived, finding out that you're not the only couple who's sex life has declined with age, or finding out one of the other thing about sex which should be obvious but which, thanks to the skewed views of it in the public conversation, aren't.

Humans relate via empathy, and the best way to empathise is to communicate. It's not rocket science.

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream