BICS Essay Contest

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Tom Butler

BICS Essay Contest

Post by Tom Butler »

I dropped by this forum to ask if any of you are aware of the Bigelow Institute for Consciousness Studies (BICS) essay contest. https://bigelowinstitute.org/index.php

The essay question was "What is the best available evidence for the Survival of Human Consciousness after Permanent Bodily Death?" As I understand, there were 1300 applications, of which 204 were selected to submit an essay. Of those, 29 were selected as "winners." Prizes amounted to 1st. = $500K, Second = $300K and third =$150K. There were also eleven $50K winners and fifteen $20K.

Bigelow noted in an SPR interview that "When I formed the Bigelow Institute of Consciousness Studies last June, we looked into the number of organizations and the number of researchers in this field and it seemed as though the field needed some energizing."

and

"Proving whether the other side exists or not is actually just the first step. The research community going back to the 1800s has been dominated by the effort to prove the existence in one way or another, or another, or another… so it has been dominated by the necessity of trying to prove the other side exists and that has gone on for almost two centuries, so at some point here, I want to move on and go to the next level up, which is probably much more profound than simply whether or not some aspect of your consciousness is going to survive your bodily death."

The website will soon have all 29 winning essay for your free reading. Even though some of the winners I have seen are just compilations of old information and most seems to be explainable with the Super-Psi Hypothesis, I think this represents an important opportunity for all of us to see what some of the parapsychologists and survival researchers are thinking.

Academically trained philosophers tend to be physicalists. Perhaps the essays will help change that a little. I am interested in your thoughts once (if) the essays have been reviewed.
LuckyR

Re: BICS Essay Contest

Post by LuckyR »

I was not aware. Please post a link to the essays when they become available.
"As usual... it depends."
Tom Butler

Re: BICS Essay Contest

Post by Tom Butler »

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream