Black Mermaids and WOke backlash

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Sculptor1

Black Mermaids and WOke backlash

Post by Sculptor1 »

I saw a lovely tic-tok of some young black girls remarking with amazement that the mermaid was a black girl. For me that was enough to convince me that is was worth making the effort. Giving kids representation is very important for them to avoid alienation.

However, there is a lot wrong with how things are going at the moment. There are really good and creative ways to make sure minorities are represented. At the moment there is a icky tendency for a sort of pedagogic high mindedness which is being generally rejected as absurd by the public. Even people who are full square behind the idea of extending representation and giving, say, black actors a level playing ground with white.

But there is a growing problem which undermines the effort. In RIngs of Power for example as in other programmes (eg Wheel of Time) which have several examples of white characters with black children and black parents with white children. When we watch a drama we enter into a contract whereby the audience suspend their disbelief and pretend that what we are watching is real. This is most important with fantasy programs. So why not cast Morgan Freeman as the child or even wife of a character played by Emma Watson? WHy not? Because it would be ridiculous! It would stop you in your tracks and the spell of belief would be broken. So why is the daughter of the HIgh King of Numenor(white) and black women - a great performance by the way, but an example of bad casting since she simply does not look like her father in a very profound way.

So why not make the entire family of Isildur black instead? The point is Amazon are imposing a moral point virtue signalling in the most exhibitionist way. When I watch a series on Netflix or Amazon, I am pleased to see a range of different human groups represented, but I do not want it to be in my face to the degree that it makes the drama look idiotic.
LuckyR

Re: Black Mermaids and WOke backlash

Post by LuckyR »

What are your thoughts on Aaron Burr being played by a black actor in Hamilton?
"As usual... it depends."
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

LuckyR wrote: September 25th, 2022, 8:49 pm What are your thoughts on Aaron Burr being played by a black actor in Hamilton?
I've not seen Hamilton and I do not think it would interest me.
But I would think that Lin-Manuel Miranda is making exactly the same sort of pedagogic point. Not only choosing actors for diversity, but making an exhibition of his personal sympathies in the is respect; virtue signalling in the most gross way.
If having Lawrence Olivier playing Othello is regarded as a bad idea, then how is this any better?

I think the long term danger of these absurdities is the denial that racism ever existed. Bu portraying worlds in which everyone is colour-blind is a pretense that denies the truths of history. I do not see that as any kind of solution.

Then on the other end of the spectrum we have all black universities, all black orchestras, all "jewish" prizes for science and literature. These are examples of colour bars. For racial equality, and racial harmony what is needed is truth and equality. If racial-bars are evil as they were in the South South Africa, and in Israel then they must be bad in all instances.
Having an all black cast for Hamlet, or Julius Caesar is an admission of defeat, and a new racism.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sculptor1 wrote: September 26th, 2022, 6:19 am
LuckyR wrote: September 25th, 2022, 8:49 pm What are your thoughts on Aaron Burr being played by a black actor in Hamilton?
But I would think that Lin-Manuel Miranda is making exactly the same sort of pedagogic point. Not only choosing actors for diversity, but making an exhibition of his personal sympathies in the is respect; virtue signalling in the most gross way.
If having Lawrence Olivier playing Othello is regarded as a bad idea, then how is this any better?

I think the long term danger of these absurdities is the denial that racism ever existed. Bu portraying worlds in which everyone is colour-blind is a pretense that denies the truths of history. I do not see that as any kind of solution.

Then on the other end of the spectrum we have all black universities, all black orchestras, all "jewish" prizes for science and literature. These are examples of colour bars. For racial equality, and racial harmony what is needed is truth and equality. If racial-bars are evil as they were in the South South Africa, and in Israel then they must be bad in all instances.
Having an all black cast for Hamlet, or Julius Caesar is an admission of defeat, and a new racism.
Seriously? So Harvard (the most prestigious school on the planet) can be an all white school for 234 years, and you're upset because the #841 college in the nation is "historically black"?
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

LuckyR wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:11 am

Seriously? So Harvard (the most prestigious school on the planet) can be an all white school for 234 years, and you're upset because the #841 college in the nation is "historically black"?
Two things here are wrong.

1)- So are you saying there was nothing wrong with Harvard being all black for 234 year? (FYI it was 229 years)?
and
2) Harvard graduated its first black student in 1865. WHich is pretty early given that America was a late shower in emancipation. That is only 3 years after emancipation.

If you think it was wrong of Harvard to have a colour bar then why would you accept a white colour bar elsewhere?
It makes you a racist.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sculptor1 wrote: October 1st, 2022, 4:25 am

1)- So are you saying there was nothing wrong with Harvard being all black for 234 year? (FYI it was 229 years)?
and
2) Harvard graduated its first black student in 1865. WHich is pretty early given that America was a late shower in emancipation. That is only 3 years after emancipation.

If you think it was wrong of Harvard to have a colour bar then why would you accept a white colour bar elsewhere?
It makes you a racist.
So many things to address.

First, Harvard had ZERO black students for over two centuries. Spelman (the highest ranked historically black college) has white students right now. Not many, but even a simpleton can appreciate that they don't exclude white students... because they have white students.

Second, and more germane IMO Harvard has many aspects to their common reputation. And being an all white school for more time than they have been integrated is NOT one of them. Meanwhile, historically black colleges are labeled as racist routinely, as evidenced by this thread, for example. Both are private institutions and as such I'm sure GE Morton would declare that they can do whatever they want. However, I'm just wondering why the (truly) historically all white Harvard generally avoids that reputation, yet historically MAJORITY (not exclusively) black Spelman is commonly criticized.

That racially based difference in treatment is the racism.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

LuckyR wrote: October 1st, 2022, 10:06 pm

and

It makes you a racist.

First, Harvard had ZERO black students for over two centuries. Spelman (the highest ranked historically black college) has white students right now. Not many, but even a simpleton can appreciate that they don't exclude white students... because they have white students.
The USA had ZERO free black persons until 1862. What's your point?
And at the same time there was no Spelman. So you are not really making any kind of comparison here. Just two disconnected facts.

Second, and more germane IMO Harvard has many aspects to their common reputation. And being an all white school for more time than they have been integrated is NOT one of them. Meanwhile, historically black colleges are labeled as racist routinely, as evidenced by this thread, for example. Both are private institutions and as such I'm sure GE Morton would declare that they can do whatever they want. However, I'm just wondering why the (truly) historically all white Harvard generally avoids that reputation, yet historically MAJORITY (not exclusively) black Spelman is commonly criticized.

THe solution to racism is not more racism. You have no grounds for claiming Harvard as racist when SPelman is racist. And whilst all black colleges exist, the excuse from "white" colleges is to direct black people to the black colleges and white racist will concentrate in the "white" colleges. This is simply a perpetuation of racism.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sculptor1 wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:17 am

and

It makes you a racist.

And at the same time there was no Spelman. So you are not really making any kind of comparison here. Just two disconnected facts.

THe solution to racism is not more racism. You have no grounds for claiming Harvard as racist when SPelman is racist. And whilst all black colleges exist, the excuse from "white" colleges is to direct black people to the black colleges and white racist will concentrate in the "white" colleges. This is simply a perpetuation of racism.
So much misinformation and clumsy sleight of hand here.

First Massachusetts abolished slavery in 1783 (not 1862). The first black college grad graduated in 1823 (almost 50 years before Harvard did).

Harvard was all white. Spelman is NOT all black.

Yet Spelman is commonly accused of being "racist" and Harvard commonly gets a pass. Why?
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

LuckyR wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 1:07 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:17 am

and

It makes you a racist.

So much misinformation and clumsy sleight of hand here.

First Massachusetts abolished slavery in 1783 (not 1862). The first black college grad graduated in 1823 (almost 50 years before Harvard did).

Harvard was all white. Spelman is NOT all black.

Yet Spelman is commonly accused of being "racist" and Harvard commonly gets a pass. Why?
Strawman.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

This thread reminds me of a conversation I had awhile back:

"Why do Latinos have the ALMA awards? There isn't a white person acting award show"

"Uummm... they're called the Oscars..."
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

LuckyR wrote: October 4th, 2022, 2:32 am This thread reminds me of a conversation I had awhile back:

"Why do Latinos have the ALMA awards? There isn't a white person acting award show"

Yes, and this is a sign of failure and an acceptance of racism.
And the more we have black awards and jewish awards etc. the more racism is reified, validated and supported.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

LuckyR wrote: October 4th, 2022, 2:32 am This thread reminds me of a conversation I had awhile back:

Though there have been so recent fallow years, t is my view that as a percentage of the black population, black people are probably over-represented at the oscars, over the years.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls500201040/

https://www.theroot.com/every-black-act ... 1848646024
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sculptor1 wrote: October 4th, 2022, 5:26 am

Though there have been so recent fallow years, t is my view that as a percentage of the black population, black people are probably over-represented at the oscars, over the years.

Over-represented, eh ? Well, 2022 was the 94th Academy awards, so your first link shows 34 blacks who won for actor/actress, supporting actor/actress, director, best picture, screenplay and soundtrack. 8 categories. 5 categories x 94 years plus 3 categories x 85 years is 725 total awards. Since blacks are 11% of the population, you'd expect 79 winners, so the 34 actual winners are less than half of what you'd expect statistically.

Don't you get it? There wouldn't be an ALMA award show if the Academy awards would have had Latino nominees/winners. If the Oscars are all white where exactly are Latino actors supposed to be recognized? It's disingenuous to exclude groups from recognition, then bellyache when they create their own format. You're not the only game in town.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

LuckyR wrote: October 5th, 2022, 3:07 am

Over-represented, eh ? Well, 2022 was the 94th Academy awards, so your first link shows 34 blacks who won for actor/actress, supporting actor/actress, director, best picture, screenplay and soundtrack. 8 categories. 5 categories x 94 years plus 3 categories x 85 years is 725 total awards. Since blacks are 11% of the population, you'd expect 79 winners, so the 34 actual winners are less than half of what you'd expect statistically.

Don't you get it? There wouldn't be an ALMA award show if the Academy awards would have had Latino nominees/winners. If the Oscars are all white where exactly are Latino actors supposed to be recognized? It's disingenuous to exclude groups from recognition, then bellyache when they create their own format. You're not the only game in town.
When you have awards for black only they are more likely to find less representation in the mainstream.
That's what division looks like.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sculptor1 wrote: October 5th, 2022, 6:26 am
LuckyR wrote: October 5th, 2022, 3:07 am

When you have awards for black only they are more likely to find less representation in the mainstream.
That's what division looks like.
Your timing is backwards. The ALMA awards were forced on Latinos by the lack of representation at the Oscars. You're acting like the ALMAs caused the lack of representation at the Oscars.

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream