Paid forum trolls

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Roel
Favorite Philosopher: Hegel

Paid forum trolls

Post by Roel »

Obviously they exist in Russia and you can buy them I believe. I wondered if it's possible that some people on this forum are paid to post and defend certain opinions or post garbage.

How much does it actually happen online?
"Genuine tragedies in the world are not conflicts between right and wrong. They are conflicts between two rights." - Friedrich Hegel
Burning ghost

Re: Paid forum trolls

Post by Burning ghost »

That is an extremely interesting question!

The propaganda business is openly overt yet purposefully discreet in different mediums.

I wonder what gain there would be from producing propaganda on such a forum as this?

I know that certain widely read media sites are targetted by national propaganda when someone says something "bad" about their leader. I wonder if they bother on small sites like this? Do smaller sites combined actually produce a positive effect?

There are certainly a number of tools on google where we can research the use of words over the centuries and maybe use this information to try and attach political ideas to words and terms that are rising in popularity?

If they are not here now, I am sure it is because they have been before and failed to make an impact, or simply been unable to conclude if such a process is worth the work or not?

There is no doubt a whole vague "science" based on this theme? Is there such a thing as a "science of propoganda"?

To me the idea seems very cloak and dagger, added in with it being pitch black and the assailants unsure who they are actually stabbing I would imagine?

If there is an art and technique to such a thing then those who are accomplished in this art are possibly very important individuals? Then again if the art involved, no matter how accomplished the artist, is weak then even the best of the best would be nothing more than an ant competing in a 100m race with humans!
AKA badgerjelly
Roel

Post by Roel »

Burning ghost wrote:That is an extremely interesting question!

The propaganda business is openly overt yet purposefully discreet in different mediums.

I wonder what gain there would be from producing propaganda on such a forum as this?

I know that certain widely read media sites are targetted by national propaganda when someone says something "bad" about their leader. I wonder if they bother on small sites like this? Do smaller sites combined actually produce a positive effect?

There are certainly a number of tools on google where we can research the use of words over the centuries and maybe use this information to try and attach political ideas to words and terms that are rising in popularity?

If they are not here now, I am sure it is because they have been before and failed to make an impact, or simply been unable to conclude if such a process is worth the work or not?

There is no doubt a whole vague "science" based on this theme? Is there such a thing as a "science of propoganda"?

To me the idea seems very cloak and dagger, added in with it being pitch black and the assailants unsure who they are actually stabbing I would imagine?

If there is an art and technique to such a thing then those who are accomplished in this art are possibly very important individuals? Then again if the art involved, no matter how accomplished the artist, is weak then even the best of the best would be nothing more than an ant competing in a 100m race with humans!
Well, as we could see, Soros (left) and the Koch brothers (right) finance all kinds of groups which support their cause. Perhaps some people get paid to bend discussions to a certain political direction? I observed one strange thing once... I wrote one day about something on Wikipedia, it got a lot of negative response and removed, it was about some kind of conspiracy theory, monarch butterflies etc. Not much later on this forum somebody replied to a subject-related post and denied what I said, if this person was serious, he/she showed an incredible naivity, but to this day I suspect it might not have been coincidence and perhaps deliberate propaganda to influence peoples' opinion.

There are quite some visitors here, employing internet trolls or paid propagandists here might be useful. I just wonder about this but I don't think we can find out anything about it....
"Genuine tragedies in the world are not conflicts between right and wrong. They are conflicts between two rights." - Friedrich Hegel
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Maybe? I have no idea what you're talking about directly though.

I do think it may simply be a matter of indivduals "ganging up" on certain issues rather than there being an "outsider" pulling the strings. That said a few well placed words here and there can be used to colour a discussion either for or against someone. Those partaking on these kinds of forums usually welcome opposition though not push away from it.

If I was to voice a political view here I would do so, often in such a way, as to create opposition so I can enforce the depth of my position by others helping uncover flaws that I am blind to. Healthy skepticism should guard against the serious participants.

I as for an attempt to influence people less interested in "philosophising" they would be better employed trolling mass media outlets such as twitter, reddit of facebook I would imagine.
AKA badgerjelly
Roel

Post by Roel »

Burning ghost wrote:Maybe? I have no idea what you're talking about directly though.

I do think it may simply be a matter of indivduals "ganging up" on certain issues rather than there being an "outsider" pulling the strings. That said a few well placed words here and there can be used to colour a discussion either for or against someone. Those partaking on these kinds of forums usually welcome opposition though not push away from it.

If I was to voice a political view here I would do so, often in such a way, as to create opposition so I can enforce the depth of my position by others helping uncover flaws that I am blind to. Healthy skepticism should guard against the serious participants.

I as for an attempt to influence people less interested in "philosophising" they would be better employed trolling mass media outlets such as twitter, reddit of facebook I would imagine.
I believe they already do that.

What is even smarter is posing as someone from a political group you don't like, post things which aren't smart on purpose to make people think that is what your political movement is about. A very effective way to discredit your opponent.

I think that you are wrong that there isn't someone pulling the strings. Why? This is extremely effective to influence public opinion.
Dolphin42

Post by Dolphin42 »

As I understand it, these kinds of trolls want to influence opinion, so they post on news sites that attract a lot of visitors. I seriously doubt whether anyone would part with hard cash and pay them to post things on our obscure little website where, if they're lucky, they'll manage to make half a dozen grouchy, argumentative old crazies a little bit more grouchy, argumentative and crazy.
Roel

Post by Roel »

Dolphin42 wrote:As I understand it, these kinds of trolls want to influence opinion, so they post on news sites that attract a lot of visitors. I seriously doubt whether anyone would part with hard cash and pay them to post things on our obscure little website where, if they're lucky, they'll manage to make half a dozen grouchy, argumentative old crazies a little bit more grouchy, argumentative and crazy.
Yeah. But I 'm still interested in discussing the phenomena in general.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

I said I doubted someone was doing so (pulling strings) on this kind of forum because it doesn't seem an obvious target.

As mentioned above I know people do try and influence popular mediums for sure. Forums like this, are expected to hold members who use logic and skepticism much more than say a general news forum.

I could guess at there being some kind of obscure reason/methodology for such activity on a site such as this, but honestly I would be speculating some kind of "science" existing that can predict the subtlties of human nature.

Would someone posing as a philosopher get anywhere trying to discredit philosophical discussion? I don't see how.
AKA badgerjelly
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Since we seem to temporarily have a troll-like poster on the site right now (as happens from time to time), perhaps this topic is an interesting one to revive.

I presume most trolls, like the current one (Asif), aren't paid but just enjoy the reaction they get. When the reaction dies down, as people get bored with the content-free flame war, the troll moves on. The fact that this happens to be a philosophy discussion website is irrelevant. All that matters is that it contains people who will react.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Roel wrote: December 21st, 2016, 10:25 am Obviously they exist in Russia and you can buy them I believe. I wondered if it's possible that some people on this forum are paid to post and defend certain opinions or post garbage.

How much does it actually happen online?
What would be the motivation for anyone to pay for this on the board?
AmericanKestrel
Favorite Philosopher: Yagnyavalkya

Post by AmericanKestrel »

Steve3007 wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 12:08 pm Since we seem to temporarily have a troll-like poster on the site right now (as happens from time to time), perhaps this topic is an interesting one to revive.

I presume most trolls, like the current one (Asif), aren't paid but just enjoy the reaction they get. When the reaction dies down, as people get bored with the content-free flame war, the troll moves on. The fact that this happens to be a philosophy discussion website is irrelevant. All that matters is that it contains people who will react.
I dont agree that Asif is the troll. The OP of that thread (not this one) is.
"The Serpent did not lie."
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Terrapin Station wrote:What would be the motivation for anyone to pay for this on the board?
I can't see a strong motive to pay anyone to troll one particular site, especially one like this. But I suppose somebody might pay people to troll lots and lots of sites to try to put out a particular message. Essentially, viral advertising. I guess it could be done in a very large number of places because trolling is very quick and easy to do because the posts take very little time and thought to compose. They just have to contain lots of LOL's and exclamation marks. And, it seems, in our case the words "sophist" and "cliché". :lol:
AmericanKestrel wrote:I dont agree that Asif is the troll. The OP of that thread (not this one) is.
But OPs are posts written by people, so surely only a poster, not a post, can be a troll. I agree, though, that Asif isn't a classic example of a troll. He's just a "type a quick insult to tell those pseudo intellectual philosophy snobs some good honest down to earth home truths" poster. There have been loads of them.

Anyway, I predict he'll be back after 6, UK time, when he gets home from work.
AmericanKestrel

Steve3007 wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 12:43 pm
Terrapin Station wrote:What would be the motivation for anyone to pay for this on the board?
I can't see a strong motive to pay anyone to troll one particular site, especially one like this. But I suppose somebody might pay people to troll lots and lots of sites to try to put out a particular message. Essentially, viral advertising. I guess it could be done in a very large number of places because trolling is very quick and easy to do because the posts take very little time and thought to compose. They just have to contain lots of LOL's and exclamation marks. And, it seems, in our case the words "sophist" and "cliché". :lol:
AmericanKestrel wrote:I dont agree that Asif is the troll. The OP of that thread (not this one) is.
But OPs are posts written by people, so surely only a poster, not a post, can be a troll. I agree, though, that Asif isn't a classic example of a troll. He's just a "type a quick insult to tell those pseudo intellectual philosophy snobs some good honest down to earth home truths" poster. There have been loads of them.

Anyway, I predict he'll be back after 6, UK time, when he gets home from work.
An OP can created by a bought troll.
I think forums that depend on traffic/clicks to sell ads, may pay people to posts. Often the OP takes a life of its and the troll never returns.
AmericanKestrel

I guess i am not using troll properly, but the bought bots ate like trolls.
Robert66

Post by Robert66 »

Here is a quote for consideration. It comes from the OP by UniversalAlien (presumably not her real name) which started one of the longest threads on this forum, "Gun Control and Mass Murder".

'I could not watch the news this morning save for only one story: 27 people, 20 of which were children between 5-10 years old were gunned down by a lone gunman who also killed his mother who was teaching the children at the time. Gun control advocates can now celebrate {cynicism intentional}. Again they will start to call for more draconian anti-gun laws to protect the public - But will this really protect the public? Australia after a similar incident some years ago outlawed all guns. And then the crime rate went up so high they had to rescind the law. In the USA with many millions of guns already in the hands of the public a gun ban would cause, to use an old saying: "When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns".'

I suspect UniversalAlien is a paid troll, receiving some reward, tangible or perceived, for posting dangerous lies, to a US-based forum, about a most sensitive issue in the US. The lies I refer to are numerous, and some are contained in the quote above:
-that gun control advocates would celebrate a mass murder;
-that Australia, after a similar incident, 'outlawed all guns';
-that Australia's 'crime rate then went up so high',
-that Australia 'had to rescind the law'.
These are all lies, of the most bare-faced variety. How do I know? I am Australian, and I have done a lot of research on the subject. I am also a gun-control advocate and I most certainly do not celebrate any mass murder.

As for the payment or reward for such trolling, I can't know whether UniversalAlien would have been paid directly by the NRA to spread pro-gun lies, or is just a deluded individual who believes the "alternate facts" made powerful by Trump and his cohort, however the effect of these blatant lies is the same regardless of payment. The NRA would be pleased that UniversalAlien has reached out to the world via this forum to spread lies which are designed to persuade readers that more gun ownership would be preferable.

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream