Announcement: Your votes are in! The January 2019 Philosophy Book of the Month is The Runaway Species: How Human Creativity Remakes the World by David Eagleman and Anthony Brandt.

Who is your favorite philosopher?

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
-1-

Re: Who is your favorite philosopher?

Post by -1- » July 26th, 2017, 4:32 pm

My favourite philosophers:

1. Hume. He was born dead, and revived. He was almost chucked to the garbage.
2. Socrates. He is the most misvalued philosopher. He was an argumentative man, who wanted to win all his arguments, even by unscrupulous means, such as with the use of fallacies. I don't like this, but I also don't like that most people who adore him put him on a pedestal. They speak of him as if he were a legend, a person larger than life. Which he wasn't. He was a flesh-and-blood, egotistic, human being. I hate hifoluters. To them, it seems, ideas mean nothing, they all go by reputation.
Least liked philosophers:
1. Kant. He was not able to create a solution to his own formulation of the problem of ethics.

2. Randt. She was the reason I was not admitted into the philosophy department at Western in London. I criticised her cuttingly and mercilessly, and the "middle-aged-white-male, die! die! die!!" spirit of the department ousted me before I could enroll in a course. I must say here, I am a middle aged white male. Or rather, I was at the time, which was five years ago, now I'm an old-age white male. My criticism stemmed on the fact that like Kandt, she never found a solution to the problem, and worse than Kandt, Randt never even named the problem she wanted to find a solution for. She was a sorry, good-for-nothing, quite, overrated philosopher, whose only road to fame was her gender, which was unique in a sea of male philosophers. But with her thoughts she merited nothing.

3. Wittgenstein. He squandered his brain power away for nothing. He never postulated anything, he never put forth an argument, he never tried to deconstruct anything, he never tried anything. He breezed through life stating the obvious in very surprising ways. He was a genius, I don't argue against that; I argue that he never did anything with his genius other than create glib statements.
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.

StayCurious

Post by StayCurious » February 17th, 2018, 11:51 pm

Alan Watts, Ram Dass, and Terrence McKenna all for different reasons. Heavily recommend them to everyone. May you and peace meet.

philojoe
New Trial Member

Post by philojoe » February 18th, 2018, 11:43 pm

Sean Goonan, author of The Foundation for Exploration

h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s » November 30th, 2018, 9:46 pm

Mosesquine wrote:
January 13th, 2017, 6:46 am
My favorite philosophers are Plato, Aristotle, Kant, Hume, Frege, Russell, Quine, Davidson, Lewis, Kripke, and so on. Who is your favorite philosopher?
Well you asked in singular and you answered in plural.

My favorite is Aristotle.

My favorites are Aristotle, Aquinas, Descartes, Leibniz, Russell (except for his atheism), and Scruton (except for his politics).