The March Philosophy Book of the Month is Final Notice by Van Fleisher. Discuss Final Notice now.

The April Philosophy Book of the Month is The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight. Discuss The Unbound Soul Now

The May Philosophy Book of the Month is Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler.

Who is your favorite philosopher?

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Mosesquine

Re: Who is your favorite philosopher?

Post by Mosesquine » March 11th, 2019, 6:49 am

Consul wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 1:32 am
Mosesquine wrote:
January 14th, 2017, 1:42 am
David Kellogg Lewis is the most important metaphysician in the analytic tradition in the 20th century. So, he is on the list.
David Malet Armstrong is no less important than Lewis (they were good friends, by the way)!

For example, here's a splendid lecture on The Scope & Limits of Knowledge:

Armstrong was a friend of Lewis, and he was one of the great analytic metaphysicans, but his Aristotellian metaphysics is sometimes weaker than Quine and others' different version of ontologies of nominals. So, Armstrong's reputation has been downgraded so far, but his philosophy of mind still stands strong enough, I think.

Consul

Post by Consul » March 12th, 2019, 8:58 am

Mosesquine wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 6:49 am
Armstrong was a friend of Lewis, and he was one of the great analytic metaphysicans, but his Aristotellian metaphysics is sometimes weaker than Quine and others' different version of ontologies of nominals. So, Armstrong's reputation has been downgraded so far, but his philosophy of mind still stands strong enough, I think.
It's no wonder that the nominalists don't like Armstrong's realism about properties, but his arguments against nominalism (antirealism) are still very powerful, and I think fully convincing. As Charlie Martin puts it concisely: "Without properties, objects are empty and predicates blind." (The Mind in Nature, 2007, 80)
What I don't find convincing is his view that real properties (and relations) are (immanent) universals rather than particulars (called modes or tropes).

By the way, Lewis equated properties with sets, but he regarded Armstrong's realism and trope realism as serious alternatives:

"The simplest plan is to take a property just as the set of all its instances—all of them, this- and other-worldly alike. Thus the property of being a donkey comes out as the set of all donkeys, the donkeys of other worlds along with the donkeys of ours."

(Lewis, David. On the Plurality of Worlds. Oxford: Blackwell, 1986. p. 50)

Quine's basic ontology comprises individuals (individual objects) and sets.
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars

Mosesquine

Post by Mosesquine » March 13th, 2019, 1:44 am

Consul wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 8:58 am

By the way, Lewis equated properties with sets, but he regarded Armstrong's realism and trope realism as serious alternatives:

"The simplest plan is to take a property just as the set of all its instances—all of them, this- and other-worldly alike. Thus the property of being a donkey comes out as the set of all donkeys, the donkeys of other worlds along with the donkeys of ours."

(Lewis, David. On the Plurality of Worlds. Oxford: Blackwell, 1986. p. 50)

Quine's basic ontology comprises individuals (individual objects) and sets.

Your quote from Lewis' On the Plurality of Worlds above is not much related to Armstrong's view. Rather, it is related to showing Lewis' view on properties is very similar to Quine's basic ontology - existing things are either individuals (or bound variables) or sets.

Plaffelvohfen
New Trial Member

Post by Plaffelvohfen » March 13th, 2019, 1:24 pm

Spinoza, Camus... And Phistophicles, lesser know greek philosopher... ;)

Teralek
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell

Post by Teralek » March 21st, 2019, 9:02 am

A much better question would be "who's your favourite living philosopher"

My favourite is Russell, others I like are Plato and john Rawls.

My favourite living ones are Peter Singer, David Chalmers and Alain de Botton
Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind. ~Bertrand Russell

Pantagruel
Favorite Philosopher: Henri Bergson

Post by Pantagruel » July 3rd, 2019, 10:18 am

My favourite philosopher is Henri Bergson. :)