Boy or Girl?

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Boy or Girl?

Post by Eduk »

A woman is stopped on the street and asked two questions.

1. Do you have two children.
2. Is at least one of those children a boy.

She answers yes and yes.

What is the probability that both of her children are boys?

I do have a point in mind when asking this question. I just want to see some replies first as I wonder if the answers will be illuminating (or not).
Unknown means unknown.
Killosopher
New Trial Member

Re: Boy or Girl?

Post by Killosopher »

Eduk wrote:A woman is stopped on the street and asked two questions.

She answers yes and yes.

I'll answer this in 2 ways.

1. Let B and G = boy and girl respectively
S = {BB, BG, GB, GG}
A = first is B
C= both are boys
A= {BB,GG}
A n B = {HH}
P (A n B) = 1/4
P(A)= 1/2
P (B\A) = P (A n B)/P(A)= 1/4/1/2 = 0.25/0.5 =0.5

2. An individual can produce about 8,388,608 Ov or Sp. Since the union of Ov and Sp is random. A couple can therefore, reproduce about 8,388,608 x 8,388,608 = 70,368,774,177,664 different children. So the probability that the second is also a boy (an XY instead of an XX) would be 1/ 70,368,774,177,664 = 0.0000000000000014. Or may be its 1/8,388,608 = 0.00000012 since the father is responsible for the Y baring Sp.

The first answer is probably right. The second might be a bit silly. Orr... there is a probability that both are wrong, take you pick.
Killosopher
New Trial Member

Post by Killosopher »

Killosopher wrote:A n B = {HH}
*A n B = {BB}*
Don't mind the typo.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Eduk wrote:A woman is stopped on the street and asked two questions.

She answers yes and yes.

I do have a point in mind when asking this question. I just want to see some replies first as I wonder if the answers will be illuminating (or not).
The common sense way of thinking about this question is: OK if I have 2 children and one is a boy then there is a 50% chance that the other one is a boy (and a 50% chance that the other one is a girl) therefore the answer is 50%

However, the better answer is that there are four possible outcomes of 2 children: 1 of boy/boy, 1 of girl/girl and 2 of boy/girl (the other is girl/boy). If you eliminate girl/girl, then the chance of boy/boy is 33.3% (the 66.7% is boy/girl and girl/boy)

The best answer is that while the above is true, that boys and girls are not born at a 50/50 ratio so since there is a 51% chance of having a boy (and a 49% chance of having a girl) the chance of boy/boy is 34.2%
"As usual... it depends."
Killosopher
New Trial Member

Post by Killosopher »

LuckyR wrote:
The common sense way of thinking about this question is: OK if I have 2 children and one is a boy then there is a 50% chance that the other one is a boy (and a 50% chance that the other one is a girl) therefore the answer is 50%

However, the better answer is that there are four possible outcomes of 2 children: 1 of boy/boy, 1 of girl/girl and 2 of boy/girl (the other is girl/boy). If you eliminate girl/girl, then the chance of boy/boy is 33.3% (the 66.7% is boy/girl and girl/boy)

The best answer is that while the above is true, that boys and girls are not born at a 50/50 ratio so since there is a 51% chance of having a boy (and a 49% chance of having a girl) the chance of boy/boy is 34.2%
Lucky, the woman can only give birth twice for 2 kids. The first is already given as B, which automatically eliminates the possibility of {GG,GB}. This leaves us with 2 plausible outcomes {BB, BG} and out of these the probability of the second child also being a boy is 1/2 = 0.5 = 0.5 x 100 = 50%

Unfortunately, I can't find any thing online to back me up so I'm probably be wrong.

More typos,
Killosopher wrote:A= {BB,GG}
A n B = {HH}
*A = {BB,BG}*
*A n B = {BB}*
Killosopher wrote: take you pick.
Take your pick*
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Yes I should have said let's just imagine a perfect split between male and female. Exact real world ratios of man to woman can be ignored.
Unknown means unknown.
Killosopher
New Trial Member

Post by Killosopher »

Oops, I thought the first born was a boy. My bad, I totally misread the question. I second lucky's answer.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Killosopher I thought you were right first time.

If the question is asking for my answer from my pov, knowing what Eduk told us, gotta be 50/50ish innit? (excluding stuff like transgender, hermaphrodite, or somesuch). The other kid is either a boy or a girl. Doesn't matter which order they were born.

Another potential catch is she says yes she has two children, but not only two, maybe she has six altogether. But the question asks 'both', so that would be naughty.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

The sex of a child is not analogous to the flip of a coin or the probability of a marble being either black or white. First, the child’s sex may be ambiguous. Second, the ration of boys to girls is not 50/50. The birth rate is slighter higher for males: 1 female to 1.7 male. Third, there may be an inherited tendency passed from fathers making it more likely to have sons or daughters.
sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/12/08121 ... 121835.htm

And fourth, there may be a geographical factor and an age factor.
pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/09/24/th ... -you-live/

If we were talking about coin flips or marbles the likelihood is 50/50 that the second would be the same as the first. The results of the first have no influence on the probability of the second.
If we are talking the gender of a child, all of the above would have to be factored in.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Just to reiterate in this case we assume a 50/50 spilt like a perfect coin toss.
Also she has two children. Not at least two children.

There is no intended ambiguity, any ambiguity is down to my failure to pose the question properly.

Which I am happy to resolve as we go.
Unknown means unknown.
Killosopher
New Trial Member

Post by Killosopher »

Gertie wrote:Killosopher I thought you were right first time.

If the question is asking for my answer from my pov, knowing what Eduk told us, gotta be 50/50ish innit? (excluding stuff like transgender, hermaphrodite, or somesuch). The other kid is either a boy or a girl. Doesn't matter which order they were born.
Gertie, the birth order matters because had the first been a boy it would have allowed me to eliminate 2 of the sample spaces {GG} and {GB}. But since the birth order is not known I can only eliminate 1 sample space {GG} as both can't be girls since one is already a boy, which leaves me with 3 possible out comes {BG}, {BB} and {GB} making the probability 1/3 = 0.33... = 33.3% as Lucky pointed out in his/her 2nd paragraph.
Gertie wrote: Another potential catch is she says yes she has two children, but not only two, maybe she has six altogether. But the question asks 'both', so that would be naughty.
Huh? lol
Killosopher wrote: A = first is B
C= both are boys
A= {BB,GG}
A n B = {HH}
P (A n B) = 1/4
P(A)= 1/2
P (B\A) = P (A n B)/P(A)
Please excuse any other errors that I failed to notice.
A = first is a B
C= both are Bs
A= {BB,BG}
A n C = {BB}
P (A n C) = 1/4
P(A)= 1/2
P (C\A) = P (A n C)/P(A)
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

If the probability of each event is independent as in a coin toss the chance of a boy is equal to the chance of a girl, 50%, 50/100 or ½. We are taught to multiply probabilities, and so it might seem that we should multiply ½ (for the first child) x ½ (for the second child) to arrive at a probability of ¼ or 25%. But since we already know that one child was a boy the probability in that case would be 1 not 1/2. So if we multiply probabilities we would have 1 x ½ and arrive at the probability of the second child being a boy as 50%.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

There may be other factors skewing the sex ratio from the intuitive 50/50 split: sciencemag.org/news/2014/12/why-women-s ... ough-times
Bruckner turned to Virpi Lummaa, a biologist at the University of Sheffield in the United Kingdom who had digitized centuries of Finnish church records that documented family histories and recorded other data about every Finn born at those times. The researchers looked at the sex ratios of newborns from 1790 through 1870 and tallied how many males survived infancy, an indication of how healthy the fetus was, and how many children they subsequently had that in turn reached puberty. They found 16 years where the percentage of male infants surviving plunged, with one in the late 18th century dropping to 79 males for every 100 females.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Eduk
Also she has two children. Not at least two children.

Just checking :wink:

Killosopher
Gertie, the birth order matters because had the first been a boy it would have allowed me to eliminate 2 of the sample spaces {GG} and {GB}. But since the birth order is not known I can only eliminate 1 sample space {GG} as both can't be girls since one is already a boy, which leaves me with 3 possible out comes {BG}, {BB} and {GB} making the probability 1/3 = 0.33... = 33.3%

I can follow how that makes sense, if you do your first calculation from a position of ignorance (as if it's before the woman had kids), then adjust it in the light of new info (one is a boy).

But if you start your calculation from the currently known position that a woman has 2 kids, one is a boy and the other unknown, and ask what are the odds of the unknown being a boy, you get 50/50. Cos every individual coin toss scenario has a 50/50 chance, regardless of what went before or after.
No?

Why the answers would be different I don't know, but I'm not a mathy type.

Then again it could be like the Monty Hall game show door paradox thingy, which I could never get my head round, so I'm not sure. https://betterexplained.com/articles/un ... l-problem/
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Gertie:
Then again it could be like the Monty Hall game show door paradox thingy, which I could never get my head round, so I'm not sure.
I’ve just been playing around with the Monty Hall game. I think I understand the math and the simulations support the conclusion but I am still reluctant to accept the claim that it is better to switch.

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream