Announcement: Your votes are in! The January 2019 Philosophy Book of the Month is The Runaway Species: How Human Creativity Remakes the World by David Eagleman and Anthony Brandt.

2024 Eclipse

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Steve3007
Favorite Philosopher: Eratosthenes

2024 Eclipse

Post by Steve3007 » August 26th, 2017, 3:39 pm

Who's planning to travel to or be in Mexico, USA or Canada in a position along the path of totality for the April 2024 total eclipse? Where are you thinking of viewing it from?

After no research I'm thinking Niagara Falls. Trouble is, it doesn't seem to be possible to book hotels 7 years in advance. I was in Cherbourg, northern France, for the eclipse of 1999 but the clouds rolled in. Wyoming in August 2017 was better.

Here's the philosophy part: Using essentially the same laws of physics it's possible to predict eclipses to the nearest second or less, years in advance, but it's not possible, the previous day, to predict accurately whether the weather will allow the eclipse to be viewed.

-1-

Re: 2024 Eclipse

Post by -1- » September 3rd, 2017, 3:56 am

Book seven hotels in widely differing locales, is my advice to you, Steve3007. Approaching close enough to the critical day, when weather is accurately predicted, choose one of these destinations and cancel the rest.

You can do that to flight reservations as well.

If you come to Niagara Falls, you will have two great experiences together, at minimum: You'll see the Falls, which will make you cry. It makes me cry every time I see it. And you will see the Eclipse. I mean, not see the eclipse, that is the whole point of it: the point you look at is a punctured hole, you can't see it, that's the big thing, something you normally see big time,so much so it blinds you, you won't see even if you point your focus right at it.

If you play your cards right, you will see three great experiences together: the third one being meeting me.

(*) I borrowed the term "Two Great Experiences Together" form a joint album title by Jimi Hendrix and Donny Youngblood. Jimi was not good on that album.
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.