Songs with News-reading samples

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Steve3007
Favorite Philosopher: Eratosthenes

Re: Songs with News-reading samples

Post by Steve3007 » November 18th, 2017, 8:45 pm

Confession time: I remember when you used to be able to smoke on planes. The smoking section was horrible. So, as a smoker, I used to book a seat in the non-smoking section and then go and join all the coughing smokers for a fag. Very bad. But I have been told (by a smoker) that back then they used to recycle the air in the cabin more effectively than they do now, to clear away the smoke. So the smokers were doing everyone a favour.

-- Updated Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:47 am to add the following --
The best thing about being a smoker - and being forced outside - was the excuse to get away from people, from the hurly burly. I often found it much more pleasant chatting quietly with other smokers than being amongst it all at parties and at work.
Yes, true. And I often found smokers to be an altogether more entertaining class of people than those holier-than-thou gym-loving clean air freaks.

Recallthehorizon
New Trial Member

Post by Recallthehorizon » November 20th, 2017, 11:37 am

Steve3007 wrote:Isn't it "take a sad song and make it better"? (Sorry to be a pedant).

Back on the subject of "A Day in the Life", where John says "He blew his mind out in a car. He didn't notice that the lights had changed." I've never got that lyric. Odd choice of words. People normally blow their minds out with a gun. And, in a car, if you don't notice that the lights have changed the worse that normally happens is that the person behind you beeps their horn. You don't get your mind blown out.

Curious.

-- Updated Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:48 am to add the following --
Someone spent time, money and energy counting the potholes in the streets ?!
I expect the council probably keeps a log so that they can send someone back to repair them at a later date. I expect it's probably something like that.
The lyrics are course a reference to Pauls death.Every true musician knows Paul died in 1966 It was supposedly in a car crash.Playing styles are completely different.If anyone is particularly interested there is a wealth of information to digest by googling and on youtube

Recallthehorizon
New Trial Member

Post by Recallthehorizon » November 20th, 2017, 11:42 am

The best I can think of is "Whats the frequency Kenneth" by Rem about news anchor Dan Mather who supposedly got attacked by men asking him Kenneth whats the frequency.