Facebook Philosophy Groups

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
shuzbot
New Trial Member

Facebook Philosophy Groups

Post by shuzbot » May 26th, 2018, 2:06 pm

Hi,

I am starting a dual Film and Philosophy degree in September and have spent the last couple of months trying to get some practical experience of philosophy by using Facebook groups. My experiences have been dreadful. Some groups confuse theology with philosophy, some are just full of airy, fluffy, feel-good posts, some are just full of trolls and I have just left one the better ones that I found cos a Moderator was trolling me. :cry:

As I have no real knowledge of how things are supposed to be, I wanted to ask if that is what philosophy is cos I am told that it isn't. Obviously, I don't assume that it is, but I have to ask, is Facebook completely useless for philosophy? Has anybody had similar experiences?

ThomasHobbes

Re: Facebook Philosophy Groups

Post by ThomasHobbes » May 27th, 2018, 7:34 am

Facebook is not suitable for a serious discussion about anything.
Hope you find it more useful here.

Name Is Unnecessary
New Trial Member

Post by Name Is Unnecessary » June 1st, 2018, 10:24 am

I wanted to reply, but ThomasHobbes said it all. I once tried to make my philosophy group in Facebook, but I was the only who was writing there.

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR » June 1st, 2018, 3:56 pm

ThomasHobbes wrote:
May 27th, 2018, 7:34 am
Facebook is not suitable for a serious discussion about anything.
Hope you find it more useful here.
The only thing I would add is: Particularly not suitable...
"As usual... it depends."

-1-

Post by -1- » June 2nd, 2018, 11:20 am

shuzbot wrote:
May 26th, 2018, 2:06 pm
Hi,

I am starting a dual Film and Philosophy degree in September and have spent the last couple of months trying to get some practical experience of philosophy by using Facebook groups. My experiences have been dreadful. Some groups confuse theology with philosophy, some are just full of airy, fluffy, feel-good posts, some are just full of trolls and I have just left one the better ones that I found cos a Moderator was trolling me. :cry:

As I have no real knowledge of how things are supposed to be, I wanted to ask if that is what philosophy is cos I am told that it isn't. Obviously, I don't assume that it is, but I have to ask, is Facebook completely useless for philosophy? Has anybody had similar experiences?
If you ask any philosopher what philosophy is, he or she will give you an answer different from all previous answers you gathered in your survey.

But all philosophers agree that Facebook is completely useless for philosophy, for the simple reason that all philosophy, in and by itself, is completely useless.

This of course must not deter you from studying it. For an argument could be made, a philosophical one, that all activities are futile as life has no meaning, purpose, or elan.
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.

Bubble42
New Trial Member

Post by Bubble42 » September 20th, 2018, 6:16 am

The Facebook groups are awful - full of narcissists and windbags! For serious philosophical debate and to learn to be a philosopher you really need some academic training. Try a short course with OU or Oxford online. You will have the benefit of a tutor to guide you too.

Bubble42
New Trial Member

Post by Bubble42 » September 20th, 2018, 6:24 am

cancel my last - you will have started studying by now!! Didn't notice the date.

Mod note: Post has been kept in case others have the same question as the OP.

Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost » September 20th, 2018, 10:46 am

The same problems exist on forums you just need to be persistent. I’ve took a quick look at reddit, not participated yet, and you can find some very speciifc interests there in all areas.

Join a few forums is my advice. That way you’re likely to find what you’re looking for - also don’t dismiss ALL groups on facebook because of one experience. It is possible there are some groups out there of value.
AKA badgerjelly

Greta
Site Admin

Post by Greta » September 20th, 2018, 6:09 pm

I've found some of the philosophy based links there most interesting. Something like Aeon might not be for the purists, but can be fascinating for general seekers not inclined to slog through the philosophical masterworks of history.