Announcement: Your votes are in! The January 2019 Philosophy Book of the Month is The Runaway Species: How Human Creativity Remakes the World by David Eagleman and Anthony Brandt.

Freethinker

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
ThomasHobbes

Re: Freethinker

Post by ThomasHobbes » June 15th, 2018, 11:01 am

I think people are uncomfortable to call themselves freethinkers, even though to think freely rejecting the stuff they were indoctrinated with since childhood.
For the same reason Richard Dawkins term "Brights" has never taken on. Both are a bit arrogant. One thing about being a Bright Freethinker is that skepticism has to involve self criticism and a rejection of such arrogance.
As freethinkers we like to ridicule laughable ideas that society has inherited since ancient times, but it would be going to far to adopt such grand labels as Bright or Freethinker.

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR » June 15th, 2018, 11:37 am

-1- wrote:
June 15th, 2018, 7:40 am
LuckyR wrote:
June 15th, 2018, 2:05 am
Currently being independent is less popular.
"As usual... it depends."
As unusual, it independs.
Good one! I have personally never been overly swayed by trends (except to tend to lean the other way), so I am perfectly comfortable being a freethinker (by my definition) in an era of conformity

Steve3007
Favorite Philosopher: Eratosthenes

Post by Steve3007 » June 15th, 2018, 12:05 pm

Not being swayed by trends is quite fashionable these days. There are lots of TV adverts telling us that we're all individuals and shouldn't pay attention to things like TV adverts.

-1-

Post by -1- » June 15th, 2018, 12:46 pm

I attended a group yesterday that tangentially touched on the point of "trendy" or "comforming". How do you keep your individuality, the topic was, with so much pressure to conform these days.

PC was a trend. Hating PC was a trend. From there, hating PC has become PC.
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR » June 15th, 2018, 1:00 pm

Steve3007 wrote:
June 15th, 2018, 12:05 pm
Not being swayed by trends is quite fashionable these days. There are lots of TV adverts telling us that we're all individuals and shouldn't pay attention to things like TV adverts.
Being a rebel is a not uncommon advertising tactic. However the overwhelming trend in the postfactual era, is the power of Social Media which creates groups, not individuals