Following The Argument Where It Leads

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Burning ghost

Re: Following The Argument Where It Leads

Post by Burning ghost »

Georgeanna -

To really understand the meaning of “poetry” in ancient Greek terms I would highly recommend looking at Aristotle’s “Poetics.” Was an eye-opener for me because the only way understood “poetry” previous to looking at his work was in the common modern sense. For the ancient Greeks the term encompassed something more equivalent to “theatre” than what we today refer to as “poetry.”

I believe Fool has alluded to this elsewhere with talk of Plato’s dialogues being “plays.”

Note: It is not a particularly long work. Here’s a link to one trans.: https://www.stmarys-ca.edu/sites/defaul ... oetics.pdf
AKA badgerjelly
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

Greta wrote: October 24th, 2018, 7:19 am
Burning ghost wrote: October 24th, 2018, 4:35 amGreta -

I am not opposed to “talking smack.” As far as I am concerned spmeone can be racist, homophobic, anti-religion, sexist and insulting in various other ways AS LONG AS THEY HAVE SOMETHING OF CONTENT IN THEIR POSTS.
That comment was not directed at you. It was more a general statement because it could be said that I hold an inordinate power imbalance that makes my participation unfair. Thus, the only ethical approach I have is to allow others to get stuck into me if they wish, within reason of course, and I guess I was providing gratuitous reassurance to that end.
OK, I will take my turn and test the limits:

Greta, you are a big doo doo head, and existence precedes essence.

This place has taken an unfortunate turn. It seems philosophical discussion needs very light censorship, if any, to be meaningful. Yet, serious participants should understand the uncertainty which surrounds the subject matter, and discuss it accordingly. We should enter the discussion knowing that it is likely that others will come to different conclusions, and be ready to accept it and respect their right to do so.

It still surprises me that people have opinions set in stone about subjects so slippery. And, many seem to lack the curiosity which seems natural to studying philosophy. Instead of struggling to understand the other person's perspective, it seems some of us are circling and waiting for a perceived gap in logic or scientific 'certainty' which could be attacked. Of course, you see such behavior all the time on the internet, but you would hope that a site dedicated to philosophy would rise above it for the most part.

I don't know that there is anything the mods could or should do to restore a kinder atmosphere. But, there are a couple blowhards who should consider how they are affecting the tone and stifling discussion for the rest of us by trying to intimidate or troll people. We could all use a dose of humility and could show a bit more kindness and patience, but those few in particular are setting a bad tone. I know I would respect their ideas more if they were presented in a softer tone. They could benefit themselves and the rest of us if they reset their style. Here's hoping...
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Burning ghost wrote:
Greta -

I am not opposed to “talking smack.” As far as I am concerned spmeone can be racist, homophobic, anti-religion, sexist and insulting in various other ways AS LONG AS THEY HAVE SOMETHING OF CONTENT IN THEIR POSTS.
Is there a limit to how many posts someone can post in some period of time where there is little or nothing of substance but insults are present? Or does TH have a kind of free hand to burp and fart forever alongside other posts of his where he makes an effort? I mean, aren't just sort of left like hte mother of a teenager, erasing posts and never changing the pattern?

And by the time you get there with your sweep set we're already airing our clothes and holding our noses.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Karp -

I stand by what I’ve said. If someone really bothers you I’d suggest using the “foe” option. Other than that do as you want (ie. stop speaking to them or sling **** back them ... I really don’t care that much as long as there is SOMETHING subatantial worth reading.)

I’m not here to police people only keep threads “tidy,” and hopefully help people steer thread along and link old threads to new ones (refresh and revivify threads so newcomers to the forum aren’t too overwhelmed.)
AKA badgerjelly
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Burning ghost wrote: October 25th, 2018, 3:02 pmI really don’t care that much as long as there is SOMETHING substantial worth reading.)
Exactly. It's informal chat.

Karpel, I haven't thought to tally Hobbes's responses. When he lets go of his emotions long enough to let his brain function he is very good.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

chewybrian wrote: October 25th, 2018, 7:04 am
Greta wrote: October 24th, 2018, 7:19 am
That comment was not directed at you. It was more a general statement because it could be said that I hold an inordinate power imbalance that makes my participation unfair. Thus, the only ethical approach I have is to allow others to get stuck into me if they wish, within reason of course, and I guess I was providing gratuitous reassurance to that end.
OK, I will take my turn and test the limits:

Greta, you are a big doo doo head, and existence precedes essence.
The former is obviously true. No argument. The latter is simply a really trippy idea but sadly, much of the time when trippy ideas are investigated, there's a dull and prosaic explanation. It's like when we found out that surfaces of the Moon, Venus and Mars were lifeless deserts when, back in the day, we had all sorts of exciting ideas of what might be out there - exotic animals, maybe even civilisations! Then we learn that the Earth has the most boring possible neighbours. Can you imagine a pair of more pointless, misbegotten planets?

The idea that humans might actually be the most interesting things in reality is also ghastly in its dullness. All of this - the galactic clusters and supermassive black holes and incredibly powerful suns and wide variety of planets - is here to produce ... us? It's like building an entire factory so as to make a single broken doll. It's like sticking a red nose on the universe. No wonder so many scientists and others are dreaming of ET.
chewybrian wrote:I don't know that there is anything the mods could or should do to restore a kinder atmosphere. But, there are a couple blowhards who should consider how they are affecting the tone and stifling discussion for the rest of us by trying to intimidate or troll people. We could all use a dose of humility and could show a bit more kindness and patience, but those few in particular are setting a bad tone. I know I would respect their ideas more if they were presented in a softer tone. They could benefit themselves and the rest of us if they reset their style. Here's hoping...
Believe it or not, this place is much gentler than it used to be. I generally don't mind people being idiotic and aggro because I know what it is to be idiotic and aggro on a forum, having been so many times. I didn't mean badly, but was blind to my overly antagonistic and insufficiently cerebral aspects. The aggression also comes from insecurity - which appears to be a mix of personal hangups and fear of a future that those with opposing ideas might bring about.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Existence might precede esssece ... it depends what is meanr by those terms. I generally assume the person uttering the words sees them as making enough sense to share even if they look problematic to me - or maybe that my appraisal of the terms has been faulty within the given context.

Greta -

Some people do actually thrive if antagonised. It depends on personality. If some guy hadn’t ranted on about Kant continuously in nearly every discussion I had with him then I’d very likley have never read Critique of Pure Reason.

Humour is another problem on the internet. I’ve been accused of insulting people on other forums a few times due to misunderstandings (sometimes my fault and sometimes the chocie of the readers.) Generally though vitriolic talk doesn’t do much good in the long run for the one spouting it - they tend to be ignored or have poked fun at them.
AKA badgerjelly
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Burning ghost wrote: October 25th, 2018, 10:55 pmSome people do actually thrive if antagonised. It depends on personality.
Yes. As you say, sometimes the frission of battle pushes one to try harder.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Greta wrote: October 25th, 2018, 5:58 pm
Burning ghost wrote: October 25th, 2018, 3:02 pmI really don’t care that much as long as there is SOMETHING substantial worth reading.)
Exactly. It's informal chat.

Karpel, I haven't thought to tally Hobbes's responses. When he lets go of his emotions long enough to let his brain function he is very good.
I agree. He's clearly smart and can be concise with his arguments, a trait I admire and wish I was better at. I just wondered if the mods must run around sweeping up after him, that is taking away the contentless insult posts, forever, or do they ever decide to up the ante a little.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Burning ghost wrote: October 25th, 2018, 3:02 pm Karp -

I stand by what I’ve said. If someone really bothers you I’d suggest using the “foe” option. Other than that do as you want (ie. stop speaking to them or sling **** back them ... I really don’t care that much as long as there is SOMETHING subatantial worth reading.)

I’m not here to police people only keep threads “tidy,” and hopefully help people steer thread along and link old threads to new ones (refresh and revivify threads so newcomers to the forum aren’t too overwhelmed.)
Sure. I have him on foe, and if you are content to sweep up after his contentless insult posts, that's obviously your choice (or choices if other mods do this also). I think it does bring down the mood of the forum, which may have side effects that are hard to track and not positive. Your tidying will often be after the fact of the insulted having read his response.

I don't see any real advantage to removing the insults, since they are often read by their targets before being deleted anyway. The distinction between tidying threads and policing people seems fuzzy at the least.

I say leave the posts. They are short posts. They may help give the context to responses from others whose posts also include content.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Burning ghost wrote: October 25th, 2018, 10:55 pm Some people do actually thrive if antagonised. It depends on personality.
It is easy enough to get antagonized by people who do not quite respond to points made, who do not concede things, who use strawmen (intentionally or not) and so on. There is so much to potentially get antogonized by already.

Futher positive consequences can come from even horrible experiences and acts. But then there are likely downsides to those acts and experiences.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

You might also want to take down anything like this....
Speak Nicely and Politely - If the conversation turns into a contest, or if any of the speakers feel angry or offended, it will greatly reduce the philosophical productivity of the discussion. A discussion about philosophy can quickly degenerate into a name-calling, insult-throwing fight. The other person will listen to you more if they feel more comfortable and respected. Do not just speak as nicely as you must in order to keep the conversation philosophical; instead, speak as nicely, respectfully, and politely as you can. Avoid insults, name-calling, or offensiveness as much as possible. Also, especially if you disagree, try thanking the other person for discussing the topic with you.
Or challenge Scott's position.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Karp -
They are short posts. They may help give the context to responses from others whose posts also include content.
That doesn’t make sense to me. If there is context then they stay. Have you actually looked at the posts I’ve removed?

I am sure Greta would agree removing “Good morning. I woke up an hour ago” was justified, it being a comment redundant to the topic of “fascism.” It was obviously made in context to TH’s off topic comment about his post being deleted (which I confirmed it wasn’t and any other mod here can confirm too because deletions are logged.)

What is happening here is interesting at least - I’d even say extremely fascinating!

I think it would be better if I just went about my business fror now out and make absolutely ZERO comment about this again for at least a month. I’ve been clear enough about this all in several different posts and I’m now growing tired of repeating myself.
AKA badgerjelly
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

It's the middle ground, KT, somewhere between that happy ideal and the feral lunacy passing as conversation online.

As I say, I found that being strict in this area tends to inflame tensions. Sometime the lowest conflict option is to let small spats be and only act when there's something major going on that's impacting the forum generally.

Usually, if there's a complaint I will edit a rule breaking post, but often with misgivings.
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

Burning ghost wrote: October 25th, 2018, 10:55 pm Existence might precede esssece ... it depends what is meanr by those terms. I generally assume the person uttering the words sees them as making enough sense to share even if they look problematic to me - or maybe that my appraisal of the terms has been faulty within the given context.
I take it to mean that we are formed into a certain type of person by nature and nurture before we are able to decide much for ourselves. Then, we begin to be able to judge circumstances on our own, and determine that we may or may not want to continue being that type of person. We can make choices that gradually turn us into the type of person we want to be, if we are lucky enough to be able to figure it out, and strong enough to pursue it. You may have to be brutally honest with yourself.

I'm not sure what is problematic about this idea unless you don't believe in free will. Maybe we don't share definitions. I'd say:

Existence=being a person largely formed by events, as a child must be, and feeling life just happens to you.

Essence= an ideal you pursue after examining the person you were and choosing to change. (Some people might just 'fall into it', too, though they may have subconsciously made a decision to change). When someone can say "I am a teacher", and describe their place in the world, their passion and highest and best use, as well as the way they get a paycheck, then perhaps they have found their essence.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream