Announcement: Your votes are in! The January 2019 Philosophy Book of the Month is The Runaway Species: How Human Creativity Remakes the World by David Eagleman and Anthony Brandt.

Everything I Believe May Be Wrong

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Lone Wolf
Favorite Philosopher: Pooh

Everything I Believe May Be Wrong

Post by Lone Wolf » November 1st, 2018, 12:56 pm

It has been my fortune to learn that people cannot begin to understand who they are or why they are here until they allow for the possibility that everything they believe may be wrong. This is not a widely held viewpoint, but the idea certainly did not originate with me. One of the reasons I came to this conclusion is that I read other people’s opinions about the subject and discovered that I have no certainty of anything except that I am. What I am, who I am, where I am, when I am, and why I am, are beyond my ability to comprehend. Reaching this level of comprehension has taken a lifetime. On the fourth Wednesday of this month the earth will complete its seventy-ninth orbit of the sun since I came screaming into this lifetime. I do not know how many more traverses of its orbital path the earth will make before I pass silently into another realm. At least I assume there will be another realm. I really don’t like the idea that this physical existence may be all there is to life, so I readily buy into the concept that there is life beyond death’s door. This belief may also be wrong.

The reason I say that people cannot begin to understand who they are or why they are here until they allow for the possibility that everything they believe may be wrong is that what they believe hasn’t given them the answers for these questions.

Understanding that I am ignorant makes me want to know the things I don’t have the ability to comprehend, so I try to understand why there are other people who seem to have grasped the meaning of life. However, it is also my understanding that Jesus is the only being in the last two millennia who understood the who, what, where, when, and why of existence and by so doing, he was able to elevate his physical body to the next realm. There is nothing in existence which I can use as a reference to prove that Jesus actually achieved that understanding. There is such a body of written information on his ascension that I am willing to accept there must be some truth in the story. Whose truth is it? My truth? No. It is certainly not true to the Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, and religions other than the Christians. However, the Christians have deified Jesus and, rather than learn what he was teaching, they say that he was the “Son of God” and simply worship him.

So why do I think it might be true? Because I have a need for it to be true. I need to believe that if I can comprehend what Jesus learned, then I too can ascend. As a result of this need, I have read all the purported sayings of Jesus in the Gospel of Thomas. There are 114 of these sayings in that gospel. I am reasonably sure that I understand at least five of them.