Ingredients for a Good Life

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Georgeanna

Re: Ingredients for a Good Life

Post by Georgeanna »

chewybrian:
I was suffering from anxiety and depression, overweight and out of shape, when I reached a fork in the road. My doctor gave me a prescription for high blood pressure medicine. I looked down that road and saw the prospect of more prescriptions and ending up riding a motorized cart around the store to get more soda, and decided it was time to change before it was too late.

I never filled the prescription, but rather decided to eat better and get fit (an option my doctor did not bother to discuss with me!). I cut sugar out of my diet and started riding a bicycle, a little further every day, every week. Those two simple choices were very effective. I lost 100 pounds and got rid of the high blood pressure. A side effect is that my anxiety and depression were diminished, and this allowed me the mental clarity to work on them further.

I found stoic philosophy to be a great help, especially the dichotomy of control. Much of what I was worrying about was outside my control, and not worth the energy of worrying about.

So, clearing the junk out of my body and my mind allowed me to enjoy simple pleasures again, like: riding my bike, playing golf, walking my dog, being outside, reading... I think those 'little things' are the ingredients of the good life, and the possessions we are told might make us happy are more like a cocaine addiction (or a prescription from the doctor!). They mask the unhappiness for a time, but they don't really make you happy and you'll never get enough.

I think you've hit on something. You probably won't make much progress at the top of the pyramid unless you have a good foundation. I know I was not making progress until I improved my nutrition and fitness. I never realized until after the fact how my poor physical health contributed to poor mental health. Our culture here in the states certainly does not help people make this connection. If you don't believe you can control your desires, and you are surrounded by objects of desire (as our culture tells us we are), then you are bound to be unhappy.
Thank you for sharing that. I agree that the stoic philosophy is a useful to gain a sense of perspective and hopefully balance. It is when we are out of synch, either mentally or physically, that we recognise that we have been taking our body for granted. And change has to take place.

About doctors and prescriptions - I agree some are too quick to try to alleviate hypertension with medicine without looking at the cause. In simple cases, due to anxiety or being overweight then - you are right, medication isn't always the way to go. Or it can be supplemented with a lifestyle change in activity/diet. I believe some gym classes are now available on prescription.
However, some causes are more complex, involving major organs e.g. the kidney where medication is vital. The person is seriously ill with no ability or energy to exercise. Diet is also complicated. What's good for one, has negative consequences for another. So, we can't generalise.

It's heartening to hear how some people manage to self-care. With a bit of knowledge about the interaction between mind and body.
Again a word of caution - and I'm guilty of this too. The internet is a wonderful resource. However, it is not always wise to attempt to self-diagnose by simply clicking on a few signs and symptoms.
Constant tiredness can be the sign of something more serious, not fixed by energy bars or drinks. In fact, they might make the condition worse.

Oh dear, I've gone on a bit.
Thanks for your insight and hope you continue well.
Now, I'd best get out there for a walk in the sunshine...
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

It's a good idea to plan a meal from the carbohydrate first. Potatoes are arguably the most tastiferous form of carb. In the link posted by Georgeanna I especially like the illustration of the oven dish of mashed tatties of which there are a lot of variations. The basic extra for mashed tatties is gravy. Vegetable gravy is made with fried chopped onions,add plain flour to thicken(you stir it in slowly and stir until it thickens then add the amount of water you want and a crumbled Oxo cube and black pepper. I don't own shares in Oxo BTW. Add garlic and boiled carrot or cabbage frozen peas whatever you like. I like a lot of oil in savoury dishes. If still using dairy as do I, there is nothing quite as good as a dollop of butter for added quality.

I have forgiven myself for peeling spuds with my swift and carefree knife. Potato peeling gadgets are too finicky for my slapdash style and I made the decision to use my sharp knife instead . My late husband's uncle, a soldier, had told him "Never catch a falling knife" and this wisdom was passed on to me and I have said it to my sons.
Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna »

I have tried to do without stock cubes. Thinking it must be possible to make a tasty soup or stew without one, or using meat. However, nothing else seems to do the trick. Why is that ?
What is in a vegetarian Oxo cube?
From: http://www.oxo.co.uk/our-range/stock-cubes/vegetable
Salt, Potato Starch, Wheat Flour (with added Calcium, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Flavour Enhancers (Monosodium Glutamate, Disodium 5’-ribonucleotides), Flavourings (contain Celery), Palm Oil, Dried Glucose Syrup, Yeast Extract (contains Barley), Dried Tomato, Dried Herbs (Parsley, Thyme, Bay), Sugar.

For allergens, including cereals containing gluten, see ingredients in bold.
Per 100g
Per 100ml of prepared stock

Energy 1082kJ/256kcal 34kJ/8kcal
Fat 5.0g <0.5g
(of which saturates) 2.4g <0.1g
Carbohydrate 40.9g 1.3g
(of which sugars) 9.0g <0.5g
Fibre 2.3g <0.5g
Protein 10.6g <0.5g
Salt 34.13g 1.06g

* Reference Intake of an average adult (8400kJ/2000kcal).
Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna »

Home-made vegetable stock
https://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/vegetable-stock

This seemed to be one of the most straightforward and it can be frozen. I suppose in the ice-cube tray ?
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Georgeanna, it's a pity about the palm oil in Oxo cubes. Palm oil is also in the ever useful Coffee Mate which I have used for creaming- up homemade soup. Maybe there is an ethical substitute for palm oil.

Chewybrian, you have done very well and one wishes more people would take control as you have done and done so successfully.
Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna »

Belindi wrote: November 4th, 2018, 9:09 am
I have forgiven myself for peeling spuds with my swift and carefree knife. Potato peeling gadgets are too finicky for my slapdash style and I made the decision to use my sharp knife instead . My late husband's uncle, a soldier, had told him "Never catch a falling knife" and this wisdom was passed on to me and I have said it to my sons.
I would probably take a finger off if I tried to peel with a sharp knife. Or at least give myself a nasty cut with blood flowing everywhere.
I use something similar to Lakeland's OXO (!!!) Good Grips Potato peeler.
So, there we have it - back to Maslow's safety and security :wink:
Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna »

Belindi wrote: November 4th, 2018, 10:30 am Georgeanna, it's a pity about the palm oil in Oxo cubes. Palm oil is also in the ever useful Coffee Mate which I have used for creaming- up homemade soup. Maybe there is an ethical substitute for palm oil.

Chewybrian, you have done very well and one wishes more people would take control as you have done and done so successfully.
For substitute milk, I use Skimmed Milk Powder ( supermarket brand ) - no palm oil, just dried skimmed milk, vitamins A and D.

Never in the month of Sundays did I ever think I would swapping such homely advice on a philosophy forum, or anywhere else for that matter :)
It's all good !

It is lovely to hear personal stories, such as that of chewybrian, to see how philosophy can help navigate a way through life.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Georgeanna,I googled the Lakelands Good Grips potato peeler range and saw that I had tried the basic models as shown. I'd rather just stop bothering about thick peelings. Maybe frozen mash is good value.

Carbs in general, does anyone make pasta?

Georgeanna, we all need to eat and why not ethical eating for philosophers! Ethical does indeed sound unappetising but I trust that we can all enjoy frugal and lazy food, if we put our minds to it.
Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna »

Belindi wrote: November 4th, 2018, 11:11 am Georgeanna,I googled the Lakelands Good Grips potato peeler range and saw that I had tried the basic models as shown.
I didn't realise that there was a range of different types. This is the one. My own one doesn't have such a thick handle.
https://www.lakeland.co.uk/6367/OXO-Goo ... ato-Peeler

There are no thick peelings. But if there were, you could always make this - crispy potato peeling crisps with squash ketchup
https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/crispy ... ings_07088

Potato skin is good for you !

[ My knife control is pretty bad so any peelings are short and fat. I remember watching Mum peel an apple with a small, sharp knife - from top to bottom a perfect spiral. Thin as you like ! ]
Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna »

Belinda:
Georgeanna, we all need to eat and why not ethical eating for philosophers! Ethical does indeed sound unappetising but I trust that we can all enjoy frugal and lazy food, if we put our minds to it.
Well, you have been an inspiration, thanks Belinda.

I was never all that fond of Hugh what's-is-name, the Riverside chap. However, since finding that earlier link, and browsed the feedback, I have ordered his book: River Cottage Veg Every Day !

I don't know what I'll do at Christmas if I become a vegetarian...
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Burning ghost wrote: November 4th, 2018, 12:52 am What percentage of your monthly budget do you spend on food? I spend around 25% of my earnings on food per month.
I have continued an unwritten rule of my parents, namely that when it comes to food, money is no object.
"As usual... it depends."
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Belindi wrote:Carbs in general, does anyone make pasta?
I've made it myself from time to time. I have one of those little machines that looks like a miniature mangle. It's fund and easy. A big pile of flour with a well in the middle, Drop in the eggs and oil and knead. Very therapeutic. But when using the pasta rolling machine to make the thin strands (I think they're called vermicelli) it's often difficult to stop them from sticking together, I find.
Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna »

Steve3007 wrote: November 5th, 2018, 7:32 am
Belindi wrote:Carbs in general, does anyone make pasta?
I've made it myself from time to time. I have one of those little machines that looks like a miniature mangle. It's fund and easy. A big pile of flour with a well in the middle, Drop in the eggs and oil and knead. Very therapeutic. But when using the pasta rolling machine to make the thin strands (I think they're called vermicelli) it's often difficult to stop them from sticking together, I find.
I can imagine the act of kneading is therapeutic - but I think all the other parts of the process would have me tearing my hair out.
And is it worth it ?

When I was in Rome, my friend showed me row upon row, aisle upon aisle, of different dried pasta shapes, forms and colours. I wish I could remember the name of this mega hyper real food supermarket. In a previous life it had been a railway station.

There appears to be quite an art in choosing the right one for either meat, fish or vegetables. Also, the sauce varies accordingly.

To Belinda : My second attempt at making oatmeal milk was a success.
And really creamy compared to the watery liquid I produced the first time round.
I used the one described by Hugh:
'soaking 200g medium oatmeal in 600ml cold water for 30 minutes, blitzing in a blender, then passing through a muslin-lined sieve.'

Only I had to add more water ( and it was still thick ) - and the sieve wasn't muslin-lined.
I did note another one which suggested you could add sweetness and some vanilla essence, according to taste...
Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna »

Found the other oatmilk recipe with add-ons.
I emailed this to myself earlier but didn't note the website, alas.
I've been off milk for some years now, preferring to make my own by soaking oats and dessicated coconut overnight ... whizzing in the blender for a couple of minutes ... straining through a fine sieve and adding vanilla. Makes a particularly fantastic hot chocolate as it thickens when heated. The sludge left in the sieve can be used as porridge or to thicken soups/stews. 100g porridge oats + 35g desiccated coconut + 800ml water + half a teaspoon of sea-salt + 5ml vanilla essence.
Don't fancy making porridge out of the sludge. Perhaps a face mask ?! :shock:
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Oatly sell the oat sludge to a pig farm. Nice and economical but bad copy for the vegan market.

I bet the oat sludge makes a good soil improver. Another possible use for the oat sludge may be as a laxative; a few years ago oat bran was recommended as more bowel-friendly than wheat bran. To make the oat sludge into a laxative there would have to be a recipe that makes the sludge nice to swallow. Could it be incorporated into soft toffee, or that Scottish favourite, tablet?

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream