Productivity Tools?

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
ktz
Favorite Philosopher: Habermas

Productivity Tools?

Post by ktz »

A few years back I mentioned to my cousin that I was having trouble following through on some personal hobby projects I was working on, and he recommended that I try David Allen's Getting Things Done method for productivity help. I thought the ideas were interesting, but in the years since it seems that I tend to fall off the wagon after putting it into practice, especially after a busy period in life or work pop up.

I might give it another go-round, but I thought I'd ask if anyone here would be willing to share their personal approach to task management, avoiding procrastination, or productivity resources in general? Has anyone found a strategy they've been able to stick with effectively for a long period of time?
You may have a heart of gold, but so does a hard-boiled egg.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Re: Productivity Tools?

Post by Eduk »

Have you tried involving other people? Making a commitment to other people is much harder to break than a commitment to yourself.
Unknown means unknown.
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

I can at least talk supplements a bit. I've had times where I was pushing my max in terms of processing and I found out that Lion's Mane supplements tend to be quite helpful with that. Taking B complex vitamins can be helpful as well occasionally although I'm not quite as sure of the megadoses that come with some of that.

Past that, over my lifetime, I've noticed that sticking with things has been a split between just showing up for at least a month, getting something ensconced into habit, and getting myself to enjoy process rather than constantly hoping for end goals quick.
Humbly watching Youtube in Universe 25. - Me
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

I have productive and unproductive periods. Although procrastination can be crippling, it can also be beneficial to put a project aside for a while. Kind of like the mandate in the Torah to leave a field fallow every seventh year. My non-productivity is usually not deliberate, but I do find that it can actually be productive. I find that I can see things with fresh eyes. I also find that even though I am not actively working on something work is being done, neural connections formed. For example, I have periods where I spend a good deal of time and energy working on the upright bass and then “hit a wall”. I put the bass aside. Coming back to it weeks or months later things I struggled with are no longer a struggle.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

I use a daily to-do list. It takes me about 10 hours to get through each day, so I try to get that done with the first 10 or so hours I am awake.

Many other folks are probably different, but I find I could only reliably count on myself to be productive in the first half of the day. So for instance for me it would be a mistake to go to the beach for 6 hours in the first half of the day and then try to get 10 hours of work done after that. To get things done, I need to work on my to-do lists first, and save the relaxation and recreation for after. Work hard, play hard, in that order. :)
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Scott . What would your favorite philosopher Diogenes the Cynic say about all your hard work?
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

Scott wrote: December 14th, 2018, 12:19 pm I use a daily to-do list. It takes me about 10 hours to get through each day...
Fooloso4 wrote: December 14th, 2018, 12:52 pm @Scott . What would your favorite philosopher Diogenes the Cynic say about all your hard work?
How does it take 10 hours to clean out a clay bucket and wash one cloak?
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
ktz

Post by ktz »

chewybrian wrote: December 14th, 2018, 1:18 pm
Scott wrote: December 14th, 2018, 12:19 pm I use a daily to-do list. It takes me about 10 hours to get through each day...
Fooloso4 wrote: December 14th, 2018, 12:52 pm @Scott . What would your favorite philosopher Diogenes the Cynic say about all your hard work?
How does it take 10 hours to clean out a clay bucket and wash one cloak?
:lol:
ktz

Post by ktz »

Scott wrote: December 14th, 2018, 12:19 pm I use a daily to-do list. It takes me about 10 hours to get through each day, so I try to get that done with the first 10 or so hours I am awake.

Many other folks are probably different, but I find I could only reliably count on myself to be productive in the first half of the day. So for instance for me it would be a mistake to go to the beach for 6 hours in the first half of the day and then try to get 10 hours of work done after that. To get things done, I need to work on my to-do lists first, and save the relaxation and recreation for after. Work hard, play hard, in that order. :)
Could you talk a little about your strategy for prioritizing stuff? I find when I've tried doing this in the past, this strategy for me eventually devolves into two separate lists -- a collection of fantasy someday-maybes, and the rest a large pile of "Oh no this was due soon?"

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream