If You had the Power of God, How would you change the World?

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: If You had the Power of God, How would you change the World?

Post by Sy Borg »

LuckyR wrote: January 26th, 2020, 4:05 am
Greta wrote: January 24th, 2020, 6:22 pm
Sure. That's because other animals, largely including humans, are as thick as pig droppings and just about have to be beaten into a helpless, bloody pulp before they accept inconvenient truths that aid survival. Look at Australia's politicians who are still denying that climate change is real or at all related to the fact that most of our east coast forests, that have stood for millennia, will be gone by summer's end.

So nature provides a blunt instrument to get through those thick skulls.

I like to think that, in time, the humans who pull through the coming natural disasters, wars and pandemics in this overpopulated world, will be more sophisticated. If they, say, have a kidney stone, they might not need to be sent into paroxysms of pain to get the message that they need to do something. Just receive a message: "Kidney stone" should be enough to send them straight to treatment. In a time-poor situation, such breaking a leg, agony serves to guide the poor blighter towards doing the least damaging movements. However, just because I can't think of a way around this does not mean there are subtler, more sophisticated means of achieving the same thing with subtler, more sophisticated humans (or post-humans).

Perhaps, the body has sufficient self-repair capacities, then pain might not be needed, with any unfixable injury being so extreme that it would be fatal anyway?
I don't disagree. Silicon based life forms certainly will solve this issue. As for humans, I suppose yogi masters probably already have.
I also imagine there's are a a minority of lucky people with naturally uncanny positivity and balance.

But for the balance of humanity (and other species), life ranges anywhere from nightmarish to challenging. Ideally, we don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, still maintaining the capacity to enjoy positive emotions.
creation

Post by creation »

Greta wrote: January 25th, 2020, 5:58 pm You don't need me to answer those questions.
You are correct I do not 'need' you to answer, but if you did, then I could have maybe highlighted something in regards to your answer, which some might find very interesting indeed.
creation

Post by creation »

I would not change a single thing at all.

Absolutely everything is at its perfect position right now, for the intended outcome.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Sculptor1 wrote: January 26th, 2020, 7:16 am
UniversalAlien wrote: January 26th, 2020, 6:01 am Censor me if you want - Your erased my post as I was writing it - Why?
This is not possible.
The error was with you.
Do you consider yourself paranoid?

I apologize for starting this post - Keep the Devil and the Hell you worship so much !!!

- UniversalAlien
I think you just answered my question. LOL
Sure, it could have been a glitch in the system? - Paranoid?
a quote seen on a wall in a small restaurant:

"If you think you'r paranoid 'cause their out to get you _ Your not paranoid, they are out to get you!"

None-the-less I'm sort of glad it happened - Sometimes the mind needs to suffer a mishap
to awaken - to the other side of the issue.

'The power of god' is almost a dead issue in this world, at least among the intelligent.

People, common and intellectual alike, have lost faith in a concept that has been kicked
around and debated for eons - No one really knows what the power of God means
- there is no agreement on what it would mean if a supernatural deity existed
- Its all speculation and any conclusions can not be proven.

So I think, or at least thought, it would be a fair question to ask the supposedly intelligent,
what such a concept would even mean?

I could speculate on it - can you?

Or, as I said, is the atheist mind set the ruling paradigm of today?

Is god not only dead, but no longer even conceivable? - Looking at history and the number
of wars that continue, supposedly in the name of god - Has the world now become scared
of even the concept of a deity - Are we being forced to suffer {talk about suffering} because
we have come to fear salvation, any type of salvation that would end the hellish nature
of our existence?

Isn't it time for a new Renaissance - A new type thinking that can break the chains of the
past and open the proverbial New Dawn for Humanity and allow Evolution to continue?

For now it seems that the reason Man must suffer is a built in mind set that is part of what
makes Humans who they are.

The evolving Human would have to break with this past - He would need to become
more than he, or she, is.

You see we can only speculate on what a god from the past may have been
- But the more important speculation is what will tomorrows God and tomorrows Man be like?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Greta wrote: January 26th, 2020, 7:39 am
LuckyR wrote: January 26th, 2020, 4:05 am

I don't disagree. Silicon based life forms certainly will solve this issue. As for humans, I suppose yogi masters probably already have.
I also imagine there's are a a minority of lucky people with naturally uncanny positivity and balance.

But for the balance of humanity (and other species), life ranges anywhere from nightmarish to challenging. Ideally, we don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, still maintaining the capacity to enjoy positive emotions.
Yes, I can vouch that that is true, hence the handle.
"As usual... it depends."
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

UniversalAlien wrote: January 27th, 2020, 12:19 am
Sculptor1 wrote: January 26th, 2020, 7:16 am
This is not possible.
The error was with you.
Do you consider yourself paranoid?

I think you just answered my question. LOL
Sure, it could have been a glitch in the system? - Paranoid?
a quote seen on a wall in a small restaurant:

"If you think you'r paranoid 'cause their out to get you _ Your not paranoid, they are out to get you!"

None-the-less I'm sort of glad it happened - Sometimes the mind needs to suffer a mishap
to awaken - to the other side of the issue.

'The power of god' is almost a dead issue in this world, at least among the intelligent.

People, common and intellectual alike, have lost faith in a concept that has been kicked
around and debated for eons - No one really knows what the power of God means
- there is no agreement on what it would mean if a supernatural deity existed
- Its all speculation and any conclusions can not be proven.

So I think, or at least thought, it would be a fair question to ask the supposedly intelligent,
what such a concept would even mean?

I could speculate on it - can you?

Or, as I said, is the atheist mind set the ruling paradigm of today?

Is god not only dead, but no longer even conceivable? - Looking at history and the number
of wars that continue, supposedly in the name of god - Has the world now become scared
of even the concept of a deity - Are we being forced to suffer {talk about suffering} because
we have come to fear salvation, any type of salvation that would end the hellish nature
of our existence?

Isn't it time for a new Renaissance - A new type thinking that can break the chains of the
past and open the proverbial New Dawn for Humanity and allow Evolution to continue?

For now it seems that the reason Man must suffer is a built in mind set that is part of what
makes Humans who they are.

The evolving Human would have to break with this past - He would need to become
more than he, or she, is.

You see we can only speculate on what a god from the past may have been
- But the more important speculation is what will tomorrows God and tomorrows Man be like?
Um.
ctruxall0284
New Trial Member

Post by ctruxall0284 »

I will follow the original hypothetical question; if I was an all-powerful entity with control over the universe/world (God) for a day what would I do? The question seems to stoke people's fire on the "God Debate," which is understandable but I will try sticking with the question. It is a very lofty idea and responsibility to take on the role of "God:" if I answer in the ending anything ("end all wars," "end death," end disease" etc) it will eventually have unintended consequences. For instance if I end childhood death, which is an obvious positive anyone would choose - when would childhood end? (teenage years? adulthood?), even as a person ages and they become adults they are still someone's children. Would this translate to an ending of death altogether?? Many answers would eventually lead to a negative outcome or a paradoxical situation. Ending human suffering would deprive us of possibly some of the greatest works of art, music, philosophy, etc. Ending inequality may remove ambition, and a person's ability to "rise above" and build the character that cannot be given but must be earned. Ending pollution, war, and disease may stifle technological advancement in many areas.

Answer's revolving around more selfish pursuits would deem that we are not nearly equipped to handle the responsibility of this type of power. For instance, I would like to travel backward and forward in time as a meer observatory entertainment mission - to see what our past truly looked like and what the future holds, but this changes nothing. Becoming an all-powerful being is out of the question, who am I to be judge and jury over everything in existence. My tendency to strive for "balance" put a thought in my mind of removing extremes in ideologies and political stances, but in doing so would only narrow the gap to new extremes and remove examples of what to not be like.

Ultimately my three answers boil down to doing nothing and being a voyeur as the world unfolds, completely removing the world from the equation and revel in the vast petri dish of elements that is the universe (perhaps making new worlds and life), or realizing that human consciousness is not designed to exist for an eternity without going completely insane - I would destroy myself.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Today we will discuss "The Quantum God" - The one that does not exist and yet has always existed.
“I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.”
― Max Planck
Max Planck Noble Prize winning founder of Quantum Mechanics did not believe in god in a
religious sense. Neither did Einstein {Relativity}, and yet both allowed for a higher power - They knew that the last words of existence and its meaning have yet to be and probably never will be understood.

'The Quantum God' I offer you extends your mind into the depths and widths of the Universe
you exist in - It says we must see the 'possible' and 'impossible' like a Taoists Yin and Yang.

The power I offer you now does not understand limits and does not accept limits.

It is the "ScienceFictionalism" {my word/concept} that backs all science.

How petty the god of suffering, misery, and redemption has become.

The God{s} of tomorrow offer an end to all suffering {but not pain - to exist certain measurements of feeling are required}, misery is no longer a default option and
redemption and its ongoing salvation are a work in progress.

That primal consciousness that Planck referred to awakens from its long meditative slumber
and shows you an existent Universe that will open your sleepy eyes to a New Dawn
- A beginning of beginnings you can not yet imagine. :arrow: :idea:

Do you now at least partially understand what it would mean to have the Power of God :?:
Prof Bulani

Post by Prof Bulani »

I'd redesign the world to work something like Minecraft. The world is flat and can be endlessly procedurally generated. Gravity is a vector property that directs falling objects to the ground, not a property of mass. You start life with 3 respawns, and can earn more depending on experience earned. There are pvp-safe zones, but other than that it's survive and reproduce if you can. Oh, and you're pvp-safe for your first 18 years (or maybe 16).

I'd opt for overall software updates to the world engine rather than the evolutionary process. If I wanted to add a new creature or resource to the world, I'd just suspend the world (if necessary) and implement the changes. Of course, I'd consider human feedback to a certain extent.

The world would be my source of entertainment. From time to time I'd jump into the game as a regular human (but with admin privileges, obviously) you get a better feel for how things are structured. It would be fun. And if I got bored, I'd work on making world 2.0.
"The purpose of life is to survive and replicate" - Erik von Markovik
Haicoway

Post by Haicoway »

I would run it into the sun. This might not be exact, but the direction is correct: A human brain has 86 billion neurons. Each neuron is connected to thousands of other neurons, so there are something like 100 trillion brain connections. There are 100 brain chemicals that influence where ions travel, along which pathways. And there are 100 genes whose variations result in different ion directions.

When ions travel down various pathways unspeakable evil can be perpetrated, such as the Holocaust, and the dismembering of Blacks alive in the US south, for just two examples of many atrocities. So, if I were God, I might know how evil came to be, or not. Maybe it was just a variation of natural evolution. But in any case I would wipe it out realizing that there would be some collateral damage.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

How very Noah's Ark for you.

Killing everyone for the sins of some would seem a rather broad brush approach.

With the power of God, you could target people. What if all psychopathic criminals and tax dodgers, all hopeless bludgers, all of the cruel, the bullies, molesters, rapists, thieves, manipulators and liars were eliminated Thanos-style? Would the world be a better place, or would others see opportunities to simply take their place?
Haicoway

Post by Haicoway »

I think that eliminating those people might do it. Many people with average intelligence are innocent, but still part of the problem. I guess they could be sterilized.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

In time they no probably will be sterilised, be it via economics, disaster or decree.
Fellowmater

Post by Fellowmater »

If I have the power of God, I would heal the world and make the people more compassionate and considerate
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

I would unveil both a vaccine and cure for the Coronavirus immediately.

I would then remind the World that cooperation works and produces positive results.

Also, War never pays in the long run and a unified set
of principles and ethics must guide the Species Man.

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream