Existentialism anyone?

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Existentialism anyone?

Post by Hereandnow »

I occasionally post an appeal to anyone willing to work through a difficult philosopher. Not so much the analytic ones; I much prefer reading Continental philosophy. If you have the time and have an interest existential thinking, phenomenology, that is, let me know and we can go through any of many works. The hard ones are the most enlightening, for they command you to learn new concepts, and this takes one on a unique journey. Paragraph by paragraph, even line by line, that's how it should go.

You can choose the text. Just consider, if you like reading philosophy, and I assume you do because you're here in a philosophy forum, this is the best way learn. Better than a classroom as classrooms are not nearly as give and take/one to one. Here, it is all writing, reading and discussion, at your pace. I don't like to rush at all with philosophy. One line can be very open to possibilities.

Let me know.
psyreporter

Re: Existentialism anyone?

Post by psyreporter »

I noticed that the French philosopher Emmanuel Levinas (1906-1995) is one of your favorite philosophers. Did he manage to evolve beyond existentialism?

I've read that his book Totality and Infinity may have been a precursor to a much bigger work of which parts were completed. It is documented in a free ebook by the Dutch professor Adriaan Peperzak (University of Chicago) who is specialized in the history of Levinas:

To the Other: Introduction to the Philosophy of Emmanuel Levinas
https://docs.lib.purdue.edu/purduepress_ebooks/20/

Book: https://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Philosoph ... 081011481X
PsyReporter.com | “If life were to be good as it was, there would be no reason to exist.”
anonymous66

Post by anonymous66 »

I'm game. I spent some time reading and researching Gabriel Marcel. But I'm over him. I've also read some Tillich, Berdyaev, Shestov, Camus and Sartre.

I'd like to read Kierkegaard (I read most of Fear and Trembling) and Nietzsche.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

Levinas evolve beyond existentialism? Such a puzzling question, for to evolve beyond something, that something has to well established enough to be a suitable basis of departure, and I doubt the concept 'existentialism' is so well delimited. But: Levinas was a student of Husserl, the great phenomenologist who inspired Heidegger and Sartre, but did he go beyond these? Best I can say is that when Levinas talks about metaphysics, he looks to ethics, specifically and profoundly, but he considered metaphysics to be, in the philosophical tradition, too explicit, too presumptuous and filled with ideas that are not metaphysical at all. Thus, when Spinoza talks about substance, modes, and so forth, he is really talking about terms quite accessible to the to the understanding, and this is NOT metaphysics. This idea is really about the unspeakable beyond that is both in this world and "outside" it. Put it this way: eterniity (infinity) is apriori necessary, but when we confront eternity perceptually (or, apperceptually, bringing in our accumulated knowledge), stare down its actuality, if you will, our understanding goes crazy, cannot begin to fathom it spatially of temporally, OR EXISTENTIALLY!! And this is the point. This lamp on the table, the tree or this ethical nightmare (Levinas' "Other"), and indeed, all that is before us is, in our familiarity, quite accessible, but outside of this it is totally alien. This last sentence needs to be underscored, for the idea of alienation in the inquiring person standing on the precipice where knowledge ends, is the essence of existential thinking.

Anyway, he puts ethics first, and he is right and that is why he is my favorite. Levinas' Totality is wickedly hard to read, so say Levinas scholars; but he is also the most rewarding. The same is true for all these guys, Heidegger, Husserl, Kierkegaard, Jaspers: much of this is very hard, but this is because the issue of alienation possesses an element of the alogical, the mystical, even.

I have several Levinas texts. If you are interested in studying one, I have the PDF I can send along.

Of course, Peperzak. I read much of his Key and I have this in PDF as well. You know, if you would like to read Levinas together, it would be most interesting. I have Alterity and Transcendence, which I have not read at all, e.g.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

anonymous66
I'm game. I spent some time reading and researching Gabriel Marcel. But I'm over him. I've also read some Tillich, Berdyaev, Shestov, Camus and Sartre.

I'd like to read Kierkegaard (I read most of Fear and Trembling) and Nietzsche.
I'm reading Kierkegaard's The Concept of Anxiety with Thumyum2. Still on the first chapter, really. It is NOT an easy text at all! But it contains the essential ideas of Sartre and Heidegger, even Husserl and others. Really. I never knew until I read it, and this is why they call him the father of existentialism (along with Nietzsche).
But I'm in for any of the above, much I haven't read. Tillich? I have read here and there, but he seems too orthodox. Shestov? Let me go look.....

I found his All things Are Possible online and have read through a bit. He takes a stand against Husserl who believed philosophy could be, if you will, made qualitifiable and rigorously scientific. Seems interesting. But how about Kierkegaard?
anonymous66

Post by anonymous66 »

Hereandnow

I'd be up to starting with Kierkegaard. I've been led to believe his The Concept of Irony is a good place to start- and I already have a copy.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

The Concept of Irony is his doctoral thesis an it is not easy at all. It is a very scholarly study of Greek thought. May I recommend The Concept of Anxiety? This is not easy at all either; in fact, it's like he goes out of his way to make the matter hard. But then, one does struggle and in the struggle one actually pays attention and puts in the time, which is needed for difficult ideas. So, how about the Concept of Anxiety? A great book that, once understood, opens lots of doors to other things.
But if you are set on The Concept of Irony, i can try to do this. It will not be entirely doable, though, because one would have to read extensively about Socrates.
anonymous66

Post by anonymous66 »

Hereandnow wrote: February 12th, 2020, 3:50 pm The Concept of Irony is his doctoral thesis an it is not easy at all. It is a very scholarly study of Greek thought. May I recommend The Concept of Anxiety? This is not easy at all either; in fact, it's like he goes out of his way to make the matter hard. But then, one does struggle and in the struggle one actually pays attention and puts in the time, which is needed for difficult ideas. So, how about the Concept of Anxiety? A great book that, once understood, opens lots of doors to other things.
But if you are set on The Concept of Irony, i can try to do this. It will not be entirely doable, though, because one would have to read extensively about Socrates.
You make a good case for the Concept of Anxiety. I'd be willing to start there. I'll order a copy.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

anonymous66

You make a good case for the Concept of Anxiety. I'd be willing to start there. I'll order a copy.
Very good. Remember that Kierkegaard is a "religious writer" but then, here, in his Concept of Anxiety, he only uses the Biblical story of Adam and Eve as a heuristic and has no regard at all for the myth. He looks at Adam as a prototype of original sin, which he calls hereditary sin in us, later, "quantitative" Christians. It is not really about Christianity at all, but an existential account of our alienation in the world, and this theme is picked up by others later on. It's not a Nietzschean perspective at all, though the two share a repugnance for mundane values and a conception of higher ground that leaves everydayness behind. It is radical! And it possess all, or nearly so, the themes yet to come in 20th existentialism. There is a good reason why they call him the father of existentialism.
Let me know when you have read some of this text and we can talk. Not easy, nor is he trying to be.
anonymous66

Post by anonymous66 »

I ordered the book - it should be here on the 9th. In the meantime I do have access to a digital copy.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

arjand wrote: February 12th, 2020, 6:54 am I noticed that the French philosopher Emmanuel Levinas (1906-1995) is one of your favorite philosophers. Did he manage to evolve beyond existentialism?
He never even got TO existentialism since he was clouded by his own racism.
Until you can unpack that you can never have an authentic existence.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

Sculptor1
He never even got TO existentialism since he was clouded by his own racism.
Until you can unpack that you can never have an authentic existence.
Very good. Now, about his racism, what do you have in mind?
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

So admittedly I haven't read nearly as much existentialism as I should, I've enjoyed what I've gotten of Leopardi and Nietzsche but I have to admit that I'm a sucker for application - ie. existentialism of the sort that helps give me a stronger frame to live off of whether it's shared experience and observation showing me that I'm not crazy for some of my observations (the weaker version) or which helps point to frames of mind and internal reference that weather a domain that's fundamentally absurd better than those frames whose weaknesses are simply missing a good clip by sheer dint of luck (the stronger version).

Not 100% sure if that's where anyone else's head is on this topic, if not I probably am better off picking at the periphery of the discussion. I will say, not philosophy but congruent literature, I did just grab Serotonin (Houellebecq) on Kindle along with Laszlo Kraznahorkai's latest Baron Wenknheim. Some of what Laszlo threw into 'The World Goes On' almost hit a mystic nerve in it's ambling in this respect, like the sublime can indeed be found occasionally in the seeming meaningless or the discarded/forgotten.
Humbly watching Youtube in Universe 25. - Me
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

Papus79

So admittedly I haven't read nearly as much existentialism as I should, I've enjoyed what I've gotten of Leopardi and Nietzsche but I have to admit that I'm a sucker for application - ie. existentialism of the sort that helps give me a stronger frame to live off of whether it's shared experience and observation showing me that I'm not crazy for some of my observations (the weaker version) or which helps point to frames of mind and internal reference that weather a domain that's fundamentally absurd better than those frames whose weaknesses are simply missing a good clip by sheer dint of luck (the stronger version).

Not 100% sure if that's where anyone else's head is on this topic, if not I probably am better off picking at the periphery of the discussion. I will say, not philosophy but congruent literature, I did just grab Serotonin (Houellebecq) on Kindle along with Laszlo Kraznahorkai's latest Baron Wenknheim. Some of what Laszlo threw into 'The World Goes On' almost hit a mystic nerve in it's ambling in this respect, like the sublime can indeed be found occasionally in the seeming meaningless or the discarded/forgotten.
It is unfortunate that the very thing that makes existentialism, like Heidegger's Being and Time, revelatory (rather than academic merely. Not to knock the dry academics--they are essential), also makes it abstruse and opaque. You have to read Kant first to be at all amenable.

It really comes down to how badly you want to understand AND how honest you want your thinking to be. Philosophy is always rigorous, and that keeps one honest, for in the rigor there is a demand for sound reasoning. Existentialism simply looks at what it means to be in the world phenomenologically rather than traditionally, which us why Kant is so important as he presents German idealism.

If you would like to read Kant or any of the existentialists, let me know; and I mean, choose a text from Husserl, Kierkegaard, Heidegger, and so on and we read it together in a close analysis. Afterward, one genuinely understands, rather than the usual tit for tat ego driven foolishness so often evident in this forum by those why haven't read.
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

If you could maybe, with the names you've mentioned - ie. Kant, Husserl, Kierkegaard, Heidegger, etc., if I were to weigh my consideration for choosing one over the other based on some combination of 1) the degree to which their insights haven't already been absorbed into mainstream culture (avoiding reiteration of things we already know) and 2) which of them delivers the most high-quality even if uncomfortable or unsettling insights about being, like if I'm willing to drink my coffee jet black with no cream and from a corpus well over 500 pages, which hill would I charge first?
Humbly watching Youtube in Universe 25. - Me

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream