Existentialism anyone?

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Re: Existentialism anyone?

Post by Hereandnow »

anonymous66
He says that before one writes about a topic- one ought to read what others have written on the subject. If he does find someone who has written "exhaustively and satisfactorily" on the subject, then he ought to rejoice (perhaps alluding to the parable of the ten virgins in Matthew 25- a parable about the importance of being prepared). K suggests that he did a lot of preparation- and wrote in joyful solitude and quietness- and he hopes others will also derive joy by reading it. He suggests that he published the book in a carefree & humble spirit- as if he had written the book in a way that would allow all future generations to be blessed by his book (perhaps alluding to Genesis 12:3-
I will bless those who bless you,
and whoever curses you I will curse;
and all peoples on earth
will be blessed through you.” )
He notes that "each generation has its own task and need not trouble itself unduly by being everything to previous and succeeding generations. Each day's trouble is enough for that day (alluding to Matthew 6:34)- and each individual ought to concentrate on taking care of himself- he need not worry about the whole contemporary age, like a worrying father- he need not assume or worry that his book will be start of a new era. Not everyone who attempts an endeavor is up to the task- not everyone who shouts "Lord, Lord" will enter the kingdom of heaven (Matthew 7:21). Because K realizes this, as an author he approaches his work with "fear and trembling" (I Corinthians 2:3)- like Paul did when he visited the Corinthian church, K approaches us as an author with no claims.

I don't get why he says he will gladly assume the name "Christen Madsen". And I don't quite get what K means when he says "nothing could please me more than to be regarded as a layman who indeed speculates but is still far removed from speculation" or "I am a fetish worshipper and will worship anyone with equal piety..." That second to last paragraph is puzzling. The gist of it seems to be that K is downplaying his own authority. Is it just the case that K is saying "this is the way things look to me- but these are, after all is said and done, merely my own observations?"
Such a preface hardly has anything to do with what follows. It is more an introduction to himself to how reader, and, of course, this is a pseudonym. He did this a lot, and Vigilius Hofniensus is just one of many. Keep in mind his Socratic Irony: I am no one, I don't know anything; let's proceed.

Yes, no claims. I assume Christen Madsen was a common name in Denmark back then. A layman, not a scholar or an aristocrat, both baggaged with presuppositions, assumptions. A truly novel approach has to be free of these. A speculating layman is a common thing, but K is not going to merely speculate, is he? He is going to put his reader through a body of thoughts that rivals Hegel, at times. He simply wants to have his cake and eat it too: both the pedestrian, outside dogmatic authority, yet speaking in earnest about matters of depth.

Right, he downplays his authority, for who is authoritative when dogma and orthodoxy are abandoned: The individual. This is the Socratic irony celebrated in his Concept of Irony in which irony is seen as a challenge, opposition, dialectic, a feature built into knowledge claims. Best I can do. There is a lot written as to why K wrote under pseudonyms, much available online.

As you can see, K has a lot of personality and he's not afraid to use it. Good luck with the introduction. If it's any consolation, in these upcoming pages there are the seeds from which grow Sartre's Being and Nothingness, Heidegger's Being and Time, and others (less clearly so), and to read these ideas at their inception is fascinating.

But he does get thick, quick. Good to keep in mind: He doesn't have very positive things to say about science and reason, not that he doesn't believe in these, but because of the presumption that reason can speak the truth about actuality in the world. One really must drop altogether in this phenomenology all science has to say as to what foundational truths might be. For K, the only foundation is the self, which is ground zero for any philosophical thinking about existence, value, truth, meaning, and so on. Also know that Adam and his "sin" is used mostly as illustrative of OUR sin, and our sin is not the Lutherian kind of unimaginably horrendous transgression against god (he alludes to this latter on), but is found in the analysis of the self and its alienation, another abiding theme in existentialism later on.
anonymous66

Post by anonymous66 »

After writing my post- I did a google search and stumbled on this passage from a book about Kierkegaard's Pseudonyms (Kierkegaard Research: Sources, Reception and Resources Volume 17: Kierkegaard's Pseudonyms).

His antipathy to claiming any cultural authority is so pronounced that he invites the
reader to call him by the more pedestrian name “Christen madsen,” if the Latin
“vigilius Haufniensis” sounds too imposing. Christen madsen (1776–1829) was an
ordinary farmer/carpenter who became a noted figure in one of Denmark’s populist
revival movements and fell afoul of the church establishment. Presumably vigilius
was suggesting that he had no more cultural caché than a humble and persecuted
lay preacher. Throughout the text Vigilius boldly and overtly flaunts the fact that he
writes without authority.
anonymous66

Post by anonymous66 »

Okay- on to the Introduction-
The view that every scientific issue within the larger compass of science has its definite place, its measure and its limit, and thereby precisely its harmonious blending in the whole as well as its legitimate participation in what is expressed by the whole, is not merely a pium desiderium [pious wish] that ennobles the man of science by its enthusiastic and melancholy infatuation.
I hear him criticizing science as an infatuation- but I guess I'm confused by the fact that he says X is not merely a pious wish.... Where X is the view that every scientific issue within the larger compass of science, its measure and its limit, and precisely its harmonious blending in the whole as well as its legitimate participation in what is expressed by the whole...

Maybe he's saying that it may be true that X is correct... but science itself is still an infatuation?
This view is not merely a sacred duty that commits him to the service of the totality and bids him renounce lawlessness and the adventurous desire to lose sight of the mainland; it also serves the interest of every more specialized deliberation, for when the deliberation forgets where it properly belongs, as language often expresses with striking ambiguity, it forgets itself and becomes something else, and thereby acquires the dubious perfectibility of being able to become anything and everything.
It sounds like he is saying that a commitment to science is to leave creativity behind... and he suggests that science becomes so specialized that its language becomes ambiguous.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

Okay- on to the Introduction-
The view that every scientific issue within the larger compass of science has its definite place, its measure and its limit, and thereby precisely its harmonious blending in the whole as well as its legitimate participation in what is expressed by the whole, is not merely a pium desiderium [pious wish] that ennobles the man of science by its enthusiastic and melancholy infatuation.
I hear him criticizing science as an infatuation- but I guess I'm confused by the fact that he says X is not merely a pious wish.... Where X is the view that every scientific issue within the larger compass of science, its measure and its limit, and precisely its harmonious blending in the whole as well as its legitimate participation in what is expressed by the whole...

Maybe he's saying that it may be true that X is correct... but science itself is still an infatuation?
This view is not merely a sacred duty that commits him to the service of the totality and bids him renounce lawlessness and the adventurous desire to lose sight of the mainland; it also serves the interest of every more specialized deliberation, for when the deliberation forgets where it properly belongs, as language often expresses with striking ambiguity, it forgets itself and becomes something else, and thereby acquires the dubious perfectibility of being able to become anything and everything.
It sounds like he is saying that a commitment to science is to leave creativity behind... and he suggests that science becomes so specialized that its language becomes ambiguous.
But then there is the punch line at the end: sciences move into "more specialized deliberation" and as with language in general, it intrudes where it does not belong; it "forgets itself". It acquires a "suspect perfectibility in being able to become whatever it likes."
In all this, he is being playful and sarcastic. Science, a pious wish, a sacred duty AND a presumptuous intrusion into anything whatever. You get his drift: science is looked to for all the answers, it is respected, admired, and it has no business dominating in the affairs of philosophy, as it had been doing with Hegel in the early 19th century.

Kierkegaard is setting us up for a brief critique of logic, reason, science, and religious dogma, all which he rejects for giving an account of the true nature of Hereditary (original) sin. Only psychology reveals the "agitated repose" that accompanies "Freedom" which is where this thesis is headed: it is an attempt describe what the determining elements are that are the root of human alienation, and in Kierkegaard's thinking, from God and the soul. Later, this will be a theme played out differently by other philosophers. What K has in mind is that nameless anxiety that pervades human affairs given the absence of foundational meaning. K wants to know "how sin came to be" through an examination of the the spirit, and psychology has been called the study of spirit. He wants to describe or find " the abiding state out of which sin constantly comes into being" and this state is the "agitated repose" of freedom.
K' s freedom is the template for future existentialist's thinking, and it provides an entirely novel take on the nature if freedom, choice, the self; and even though K is so intentionally obscure, often (he can't help himself) his arguments are compelling. One should put aside the religious content. It's not important.....or is it? I must admit, K is not altogether unsuccessful in his anatomical description of the self.
Any more questions about the intro. I don't follow all he says, and I dare say, few do. It is not important and one make the effort and move on and he often makes clear later on what he says earlier. An intro takes what is to come and says it concisely, so it can be often puzzling, especially in philosophy.
psyreporter

Post by psyreporter »

Sculptor1 wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 8:49 pm He never even got TO existentialism since he was clouded by his own racism.
Until you can unpack that you can never have an authentic existence.
Hereandnow wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 9:09 pm Very good. Now, about his racism, what do you have in mind?
I am interested in this as well.
PsyReporter.com | “If life were to be good as it was, there would be no reason to exist.”
anonymous66

Post by anonymous66 »

K goes on to write about Hegel's logic (or at least he alludes to Hegel's writings)- from what I can make of K's writing and the footnote, Hegel divided his logic into Being, Essence, and Notion. Hegel puts actuality in his doctrine of Essence. K argues that actuality should not be part of logic. Actuality for K is accidental (contingent)- for Hegel, it is necessary. The footnote states that if actuality is contingent (as K argues), then there is freedom (free will?) It appears that K contrasts "actuality" with abstract thought- so perhaps actuality is our internal lived experiences... So- K is arguing against explaining everything in abstract conceptions and theores and instead advocates concentrating on our lived experience.
anonymous66

Post by anonymous66 »

Or is it rather the case that K has nothing against abstractions- and he is merely pointing out that the actuality (our personal subjective lived experiences) cannot be talked about in abstract terms.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

anonymous66
K goes on to write about Hegel's logic (or at least he alludes to Hegel's writings)- from what I can make of K's writing and the footnote, Hegel divided his logic into Being, Essence, and Notion. Hegel puts actuality in his doctrine of Essence. K argues that actuality should not be part of logic. Actuality for K is accidental (contingent)- for Hegel, it is necessary. The footnote states that if actuality is contingent (as K argues), then there is freedom (free will?) It appears that K contrasts "actuality" with abstract thought- so perhaps actuality is our internal lived experiences... So- K is arguing against explaining everything in abstract conceptions and theores and instead advocates concentrating on our lived experience.
There is a lot in that. Kierkegaard's argument with Hegel extends throughout his writings, and really, what makes him a father of existentialism is his denial that reason and its categories can encompass our world. First, one has to know that we are thinking in a very different world from natural science, Kant's Copernican Revolution toward German idealism is firmly in place, and the center of all things, to speak loosely, is the self, not the natural scientist's descriptions via its various disciplines. These are derivative of the structures of thought conceives them. This is Kant, rationalism and the idea the world IS rational issued first from Plato then on the Kant who put the whole thing in a system of very disciplined thinking. Read his Critique of Pure Reason, take a month or two, or longer; and put aside a good portion of your life to do so. It is unfortunate, but to understand Kierkegaard's thoughts against this, one has to read it (which is why so few understand philosophy--these guys are without mercy).

What you have is the refutation of Hegel's rationalism. It is not against reason, and K knows he is, in all hes argues, using reason and the very dialectical processes Hegel argued for. His Anxiety has a great deal of dialectical thinking, the playing of ideas against each other to reach a conclusion, but Being a Christian, as he puts it, is a far greater thing, and his arguments are not simply the announcing the grandeur of Christian metaphysics, but an attempt to make such metaphysics materially defensible, that is, in terms of what we can witness in actuality, and in this he founded an entire school thought. One simply has to put the Christian part aside (if one so chooses. I find K to be so remote from the metaphysical orthodoxy of Christianity, and so grounded in analysis, his religious claims actually hold favor; but then, there is a reason seminaries refuse to teach K: K's faith is existential faith, not dogmatic faith, which he argues against).

anyway, regarding "actuality and abstract thought." he presents his qualitative and quantitative distinction. One will observe that in a concept's (or, proposition's) claim to knowledge, as with my knowing my cup is on the table, their are "parts", one part being the concept, the other being sensible intuitions. Hegel ( and I don't know him nearly as well as I would like. I plan to read his Phenomenology of Spirit soon, but I will have to stop posting and take a month or so to do it) argued in the extreme, that to be is to be rational. K saw this as patently absurd, for to have an experience is not reducible to reasoning, and the actuality, to be dramatic, of having one's hand caught in meat grinder has nothing whatever to do with the concept of a meat grinder, hand and so on. Actuality, even in the not so dramatic sense, has nothing to do with reason, or, it is qualitatively different form concepts. K doesn't talk about such dramatic things, but he should have, for they make the case so poignantly. What makes us human is our irrational dimension of being here, the falling in love, our indulgences, our entanglements, our ethical dilemmas, the existential struggles in the world; I mean if you're going to philosophize about what is means to be thrown into this world, reason hardly can say.

Actuality as a part of logic: Hegel said to be, is to be rational, and it is this historical process of dialectically opposed movements that will one day resolve into God's self realization. Essences: this has a long post K history in existentialism. Essences are ideas, the "essential" idea that makes a thing what it is, but the way essences, being and notion actually play out in Hegel, I don't know. K doesn't talk about this technical point, either. what else? Actuality is contingent, meaning what it does is not apriori determined, but could be anything. See Sartre's novel Nausea where he makes this point in a very creepy way: Roquentin's tongue turns into a live centipede, his hands into worms (I recall); the idea being that logic and language are an outside imposition on things, and things do not have to conform, not as it is with, say, modus ponens or tautologies and contradictions. The world is not logically constrained at all. We are spirit, and what this is about he goes into in chapter one.
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Something slightly off topic but at least on a topic that I think Hereandnow would be able to get his head around.

I'm currently going through, quite slowly, Forrest Landry's Immanent Metaphysics. It's the first time I've really approached a system that tries to explain itself in its own parlance (as mentioned earlier Sartre, Heidegger, etc. do this and it's somewhat the difference between material you can breeze through on a slow afternoon rather than going a page or two per day).

So far it's quite interesting and I'm trying to get my head around it on its own terms to see what sticks. Some of the relationships aren't immediately obvious but then again I think it takes a few reads (thankfully only 130 pages) to really get the lexicon right.

Also I wonder what people's thoughts are on deep philosophic systems of the past few decades and whether inspecting relatively new (as in still living and younger than 60) thinkers and how many people would say are worth reading or really exercise deep competency in what came before them and moved the ball forward recently.
Humbly watching Youtube in Universe 25. - Me
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Papus79 wrote: February 27th, 2021, 1:51 pm Something slightly off topic but at least on a topic that I think Hereandnow would be able to get his head around.

I'm currently going through, quite slowly, Forrest Landry's Immanent Metaphysics. It's the first time I've really approached a system that tries to explain itself in its own parlance (as mentioned earlier Sartre, Heidegger, etc. do this and it's somewhat the difference between material you can breeze through on a slow afternoon rather than going a page or two per day).

So far it's quite interesting and I'm trying to get my head around it on its own terms to see what sticks. Some of the relationships aren't immediately obvious but then again I think it takes a few reads (thankfully only 130 pages) to really get the lexicon right.

Also I wonder what people's thoughts are on deep philosophic systems of the past few decades and whether inspecting relatively new (as in still living and younger than 60) thinkers and how many people would say are worth reading or really exercise deep competency in what came before them and moved the ball forward recently.
I wasn't familiar with that book (or with the guy who wrote it), but when it starts off with "Metaphysics is an inquiry into the nature of the relation between self and reality," it's not looking good in my opinion. :P

And then he says that the following is a "basic question of metaphysics": "What is the nature of the known, the knower, and of knowing,or between the known, the unknown, and the unknowable?" No, that would be epistemology.

It's clear that Landry is self-taught on this stuff . . . which is fine, but a problem with this is that diving into a book like this will simply serve to further confuse folks who are also trying to tackle more mainstream academic philosophy.
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Terrapin Station wrote: February 27th, 2021, 4:26 pm It's clear that Landry is self-taught on this stuff . . . which is fine, but a problem with this is that diving into a book like this will simply serve to further confuse folks who are also trying to tackle more mainstream academic philosophy.
I think this is where I have a lot in common, at least in terms of how I'm inwardly put together, with the GameB and IDW folks. I'm interested in finding out where there's new signal, even with unpolished appearances, and then figuring out what it looks like to polish that signal and rebroadcast it. It's something Jordan Hall talks about when he speaks of the 'Red Religion' which is the new sense-making apparatus after the top-down and centralized post WW2 'Blue Church' crumbles over it's inability to tackle complex issues and changes in the environment.
Terrapin Station

Papus79 wrote: February 27th, 2021, 5:13 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: February 27th, 2021, 4:26 pm It's clear that Landry is self-taught on this stuff . . . which is fine, but a problem with this is that diving into a book like this will simply serve to further confuse folks who are also trying to tackle more mainstream academic philosophy.
I think this is where I have a lot in common, at least in terms of how I'm inwardly put together, with the GameB and IDW folks. I'm interested in finding out where there's new signal, even with unpolished appearances, and then figuring out what it looks like to polish that signal and rebroadcast it. It's something Jordan Hall talks about when he speaks of the 'Red Religion' which is the new sense-making apparatus after the top-down and centralized post WW2 'Blue Church' crumbles over it's inability to tackle complex issues and changes in the environment.
The problem is that the lack of relevant education results in trying to recreate the wheel, which involves making a lot of blunders that have already been sorted out. To someone who has the background, it's easy to spot the same old problems that have already been solved popping up.
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Terrapin Station wrote: February 28th, 2021, 4:45 pm The problem is that the lack of relevant education results in trying to recreate the wheel, which involves making a lot of blunders that have already been sorted out. To someone who has the background, it's easy to spot the same old problems that have already been solved popping up.
Right, so in other words you at least want a well curated stack or at least a well-curated short list of people to look at where you have good reason to believe that there's something there. I didn't land on this at anything close to random chance.
Terrapin Station

Papus79 wrote: February 28th, 2021, 5:24 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: February 28th, 2021, 4:45 pm The problem is that the lack of relevant education results in trying to recreate the wheel, which involves making a lot of blunders that have already been sorted out. To someone who has the background, it's easy to spot the same old problems that have already been solved popping up.
Right, so in other words you at least want a well curated stack or at least a well-curated short list of people to look at where you have good reason to believe that there's something there. I didn't land on this at anything close to random chance.
It's just a matter of wanting to avoid trudging through people recreating the wheel where they're (re)creating problems that have already been sorted out.
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Terrapin Station wrote: March 1st, 2021, 1:11 pm It's just a matter of wanting to avoid trudging through people recreating the wheel where they're (re)creating problems that have already been sorted out.
Do this maybe. I'll clear what's on my plate over the next few months and if you have any direct recommendations, for me and the group in general, I can throw those on my list as well.

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream