Dimensions

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
CylindricalParadox

Dimensions

Post by CylindricalParadox »

I would define dimensions as you cant comprehend something above your dimension,something above your dimension may appear as something completely different. We currently reside in the 4th dimension, meaning 3 dimensions of space and 1 dimension of time. There's also theories that there may be higher dimensions out there. Metaphisics is an interesting topic because it speaks of a 5th dimension and it may be possible for you to go there.

You have to understand the 5th dimension a little different than the 4th, The 4th dimension states that you can move around space but are stuck in time. Which means you can't go backwards or forwards in time (Time Travel) because if you could then it would always feel as the present moment. In meditation you are stagnant in space but can move freely in time. This simply means that you have the ability to "imaginate" time, you can think of you past and the things you would of done differently and you can also imagine the future outcomes. The only flaw would be when you're in a meditative state you're stuck in space and when you are not, then you're stuck in time.

I believe Mentalism can be real if not today then maybe tomorrow, not in the sense of magic but in the sense that the mind is truly all powerful and can transcend space and time, an experiment would be how do you create space and time? first you would need empty space, which is easy because even in the mind there is endless empty space, all you would need is simply an awareness of the empty space to create a point, to give this point time just add another point and you have motion. This point can be as small as a photon or as big as the universe because in the mind there is nothing which it cannot contain, no sense of scale.

Its possible that our idea of space travel and time travel may be wrong, if you think about it in a point of view of the sheer raw nature of things. This may even solve the mystery of the unidentified flying object which i believe come from other dimensions and not other planets or galaxies. UFO doesn't mean an alien is in it, it just means it cannot be comprehended in our dimension.
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Re: Dimensions

Post by h_k_s »

CylindricalParadox wrote: August 11th, 2020, 2:28 pm I would define dimensions as you cant comprehend something above your dimension,something above your dimension may appear as something completely different. We currently reside in the 4th dimension, meaning 3 dimensions of space and 1 dimension of time. There's also theories that there may be higher dimensions out there. Metaphisics is an interesting topic because it speaks of a 5th dimension and it may be possible for you to go there.

You have to understand the 5th dimension a little different than the 4th, The 4th dimension states that you can move around space but are stuck in time. Which means you can't go backwards or forwards in time (Time Travel) because if you could then it would always feel as the present moment. In meditation you are stagnant in space but can move freely in time. This simply means that you have the ability to "imaginate" time, you can think of you past and the things you would of done differently and you can also imagine the future outcomes. The only flaw would be when you're in a meditative state you're stuck in space and when you are not, then you're stuck in time.

I believe Mentalism can be real if not today then maybe tomorrow, not in the sense of magic but in the sense that the mind is truly all powerful and can transcend space and time, an experiment would be how do you create space and time? first you would need empty space, which is easy because even in the mind there is endless empty space, all you would need is simply an awareness of the empty space to create a point, to give this point time just add another point and you have motion. This point can be as small as a photon or as big as the universe because in the mind there is nothing which it cannot contain, no sense of scale.

Its possible that our idea of space travel and time travel may be wrong, if you think about it in a point of view of the sheer raw nature of things. This may even solve the mystery of the unidentified flying object which i believe come from other dimensions and not other planets or galaxies. UFO doesn't mean an alien is in it, it just means it cannot be comprehended in our dimension.
We measure time in terms of heartbeats and call those measurements seconds.

But time itself does not really exist. It is not a spatial dimension.

Time exists only in the minds of humans, like mathematics. They are creations of the human mind.
CylindricalParadox

h_k_s wrote: August 11th, 2020, 9:19 pm
CylindricalParadox wrote: August 11th, 2020, 2:28 pm I would define dimensions as you cant comprehend something above your dimension,something above your dimension may appear as something completely different. We currently reside in the 4th dimension, meaning 3 dimensions of space and 1 dimension of time. There's also theories that there may be higher dimensions out there. Metaphisics is an interesting topic because it speaks of a 5th dimension and it may be possible for you to go there.

Time exists only in the minds of humans, like mathematics. They are creations of the human mind.
I agree with you that time is a creation of the human mind, one way i try to think about it is if you were in outer space there would be no time. the sun would be in the same location it wont set and it wont rise. We feel the sense of time through motion, through movement between two objects. From the point of view of nature then we arent born with a space ship to travel beyond earth.

Is there a way to travel the cosmos without using up earth's natural resource, respecting nature and not harvest one drop of petroleum? The answer is yes but you wont like it. The only way to travel the cosmos without abusing earth's natural resource is through a meditative state. Well what about those UFO that come here and fly around in the sky breaking the laws of physics. If you practice meditation you learn about the Merkaba and how to create one through rhythmic breathing.

The merkaba i believe is a unidentified flying object, when the merkaba spins extremely fast it resembles the shape of a ufo. Now i have this idea and it might not be true lets just say it's a hypothesis, it's quite possible that when someone claims they saw an unidentified flying object what they are seing is possibly the merkaba. Well the question is Who is inside this light vehicle? It could be a being who has mastered the art of meditation.
The Beast

Post by The Beast »

The dimension of the rant is unreeling from the convoluted to the absurd. It is the dimension of pure thought without structure and as such the quality of attraction much like the force of gravity. According to the standard theory, the Universe is expanding from the Big Bang. Energy is decreasing much like the fuel in the tank does along the road. But, when all the stars are dead: will the dimension of space still be there? And if so: what happens to Time? I say the nature of Space will beat like a heart.
HighSchool Socrates
New Trial Member

Post by HighSchool Socrates »

The Beast wrote: August 12th, 2020, 1:40 pm The dimension of the rant is unreeling from the convoluted to the absurd. It is the dimension of pure thought without structure and as such the quality of attraction much like the force of gravity. According to the standard theory, the Universe is expanding from the Big Bang. Energy is decreasing much like the fuel in the tank does along the road. But, when all the stars are dead: will the dimension of space still be there? And if so: what happens to Time? I say the nature of Space will beat like a heart.
I agree, we should go hypothetical tangential rants about time theories and perceptions. That's the scientist's job not that of philosophy, especially when talking about dimensions, which are mathematical phenomena. Creating a dimensional theory without math is nothing more than mere speculation,
HighSchool Socrates
New Trial Member

I think you may need to do some reading into physics and math before making some sort of speculation on dimensions and time. I don't really know if you are talking about our experience of time or the actual phenomenon of time but one cannot simply go back in time or forward in time by meditating. I am truly confused about your talk of mentalist and dimensions. We are currently living in the 3d world, if we are talking about spacial dimensions. Time doesn't count as a dimension because one cannot move around no matter what dimension one is in. If we want to talk about a speculation about time actually being an illusion ==> I would have to point you to the "I'm 14 and this is deep" reddit thread. Besides that if you want to clarify anything that I'm misunderstanding, feel free to. However I don't think that abstract hypothetical thought experiments provide anything concrete or valuable to our understanding of time- the best tool we have right now is empiricism through science and logic through math.
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

CylindricalParadox wrote: August 12th, 2020, 7:01 am
h_k_s wrote: August 11th, 2020, 9:19 pm

I agree with you that time is a creation of the human mind, one way i try to think about it is if you were in outer space there would be no time. the sun would be in the same location it wont set and it wont rise. We feel the sense of time through motion, through movement between two objects. From the point of view of nature then we arent born with a space ship to travel beyond earth.

Is there a way to travel the cosmos without using up earth's natural resource, respecting nature and not harvest one drop of petroleum? The answer is yes but you wont like it. The only way to travel the cosmos without abusing earth's natural resource is through a meditative state. Well what about those UFO that come here and fly around in the sky breaking the laws of physics. If you practice meditation you learn about the Merkaba and how to create one through rhythmic breathing.

The merkaba i believe is a unidentified flying object, when the merkaba spins extremely fast it resembles the shape of a ufo. Now i have this idea and it might not be true lets just say it's a hypothesis, it's quite possible that when someone claims they saw an unidentified flying object what they are seing is possibly the merkaba. Well the question is Who is inside this light vehicle? It could be a being who has mastered the art of meditation.
You have a pretty good model for outer space being without time because nothing changes.

And that may be true.

The red-shift (which is not really a shift, they just call it that) suggests that the Universe is expanding, and that is motion. Of course this is just a theory at the moment.

Satellites and planets and stars are all rotating around some center though. And you would see those happening if you looked closely enough. It would be like observing the tiny workings of a Swiss watch if you opened up the back. So your model has limits.

The main thing that Aristotle got out of the movement of our Moon, planets, comets, and meteors is that there must have been a Prime Mover who set all these into motion. It's one of the classic proofs of God in philosophy. The other proofs come from Aquinas and Descartes as you probably already know.
CylindricalParadox

HighSchool Socrates wrote: August 12th, 2020, 2:26 pm

I think you may need to do some reading into physics and math before making some sort of speculation on dimensions and time. I don't really know if you are talking about our experience of time or the actual phenomenon of time but one cannot simply go back in time or forward in time by meditating. I am truly confused about your talk of mentalist and dimensions. We are currently living in the 3d world, if we are talking about spacial dimensions. Time doesn't count as a dimension because one cannot move around no matter what dimension one is in. If we want to talk about a speculation about time actually being an illusion ==> I would have to point you to the "I'm 14 and this is deep" reddit thread. Besides that if you want to clarify anything that I'm misunderstanding, feel free to. However I don't think that abstract hypothetical thought experiments provide anything concrete or valuable to our understanding of time- the best tool we have right now is empiricism through science and logic through math.
Well i dont know much about physics or math but i do know that in physics they consider spacetime 3 dimensions of space and 1 dimension of time. What i'm speculating on is the opposite of spacetime would be timespace. Spacetime creates a torus shape similar to the full model of a black hole, sucking things in and shooting it out the other side and then being sucked in again to be thrown out the other side again, a continues motion.

what i mean about Mentalism is mind over matter. The 5th dimension is an idea that says few or all humans will eventually ascend to a higher dimensions and can accelerate the process through meditation. Most people say the mind must stay still to meditate but what if you can powerfully visualize empty space and awareness of that empty space, i mean when time comes to an end all you'll be is empty space. Contents of the mind are always subjective experience.
CylindricalParadox

h_k_s wrote: August 12th, 2020, 9:41 pm

You have a pretty good model for outer space being without time because nothing changes.

And that may be true.

The red-shift (which is not really a shift, they just call it that) suggests that the Universe is expanding, and that is motion. Of course this is just a theory at the moment.

Satellites and planets and stars are all rotating around some center though. And you would see those happening if you looked closely enough. It would be like observing the tiny workings of a Swiss watch if you opened up the back. So your model has limits.

The main thing that Aristotle got out of the movement of our Moon, planets, comets, and meteors is that there must have been a Prime Mover who set all these into motion. It's one of the classic proofs of God in philosophy. The other proofs come from Aquinas and Descartes as you probably already know.
CylindricalParadox

And that may be true.

There's very bizarre models of the universe, i think the most unique theory is the concave earth, it states that you don't live on the earth you are actually inside the earth. The one most people accept is the western view of the universe or an infinite universe. I find it so hard that we seem to be the only intelligent life forms in the universe, which leads me to suspect that the universe might not be as big as it seems. I believe in one universe with multiple dimensions. Like the big scary ball of light in the sky, to us it looks like a sun but in a higher dimension it might appear as something that makes more sense.

One thing i've learn from the universe is that its perfectly suited just for you, perfectly balanced, in a way that it cant be destroyed. The Vedic view of the universe is the one the makes the most sense to me. Think of the universe as a chandelier, stable in perfect condition, the moons the planets rotating in perfect harmony.
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

CylindricalParadox wrote: August 12th, 2020, 10:02 pm

And that may be true.

There's very bizarre models of the universe, i think the most unique theory is the concave earth, it states that you don't live on the earth you are actually inside the earth. The one most people accept is the western view of the universe or an infinite universe. I find it so hard that we seem to be the only intelligent life forms in the universe, which leads me to suspect that the universe might not be as big as it seems. I believe in one universe with multiple dimensions. Like the big scary ball of light in the sky, to us it looks like a sun but in a higher dimension it might appear as something that makes more sense.

One thing i've learn from the universe is that its perfectly suited just for you, perfectly balanced, in a way that it cant be destroyed. The Vedic view of the universe is the one the makes the most sense to me. Think of the universe as a chandelier, stable in perfect condition, the moons the planets rotating in perfect harmony.
From viewing the stars at night Aristotle surmised that there must be at least 40 or so Gods controlling it. Unlike Plato who believed there to be only One.

Hubble has taught us that at one point or another in the past there were billions of galaxies and no end to the Universe.

Our finite minds with their finite experiences which we can only remember cannot comprehend endlessness. We cannot deal with it.

And our perfect view as you say is due to modern times and human rights. If barbarian invaders had been invading us then we wouldn't think it so perfect a place to live.
HighSchool Socrates
New Trial Member

CylindricalParadox wrote: August 12th, 2020, 9:46 pm or math but i do know that in physics they consider spacetime 3 dimensions of space and 1 dimension of time. What i'm speculating on is the opposite of spacetime would be timespace. Spacetime creates a torus shape similar to the full model of a black hole, sucking things in and shooting it out the other side and then being sucked in again to be thrown out the other side again, a continues motion.

what i mean about Mentalism is mind over matter. The 5th dimension is an idea that says few or all humans will eventually ascend to a higher dimensions and can accelerate the process through meditation. Most people say the mind must stay still to meditate but what if you can powerfully visualize empty space and awareness of that empty space, i mean when time comes to an end all you'll be is empty space. Contents of the mind are always subjective experience.
I mean nice theory and all.... I mean I can't really argue against your opinion, because it is neither verifiable or falsifiable so I can neither prove nor disprove it. I get you can have your own opinions, but I don't really think speculation like this should be discussed on a philosophy forum. That's really all I have to say. As for the theory of "mentalist" that is simply false. "Mind" is directly reliant on physical matter, and therefore cannot escape the laws of physics. Mind is inseparable from matter (aka. our brain).
"Most people say the mind must stay still to meditate but what if you can powerfully visualize empty space and awareness of that empty space, i mean when time comes to an end all you'll be is empty space. Contents of the mind are always subjective experience."
What you 'feel' like from meditating has nothing to do with what is happening. Sam thing with what you 'feel' like you are doing with getting high is completely misaligned with reality. You can feel like you're transcending space and time, but you are really just sitting of the floor with your eyes closed. lmao
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

HighSchool Socrates wrote: August 13th, 2020, 2:16 pm ...I don't really think speculation like this should be discussed on a philosophy forum.
But, but, but ... where else could or should such things be discussed? Isn't a philosophy forum exactly the right place for such "speculation"? 🤔
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

CylindricalParadox wrote: August 12th, 2020, 10:02 pm I find it so hard that we seem to be the only intelligent life forms in the universe, which leads me to suspect that the universe might not be as big as it seems.
But, wouldn't the fact that we have not encountered other intelligent life beyond earth simply confirm the vastness of the universe, on our own human scale?
CylindricalParadox wrote: August 12th, 2020, 10:02 pm Like the big scary ball of light in the sky, to us it looks like a sun but in a higher dimension it might appear as something that makes more sense.
That view does not feel like another dimension to me, but just a different scale. Your aquarium will feel much different to a tadpole than to a shark. On a different scale, our solar systems may seem like atoms, our galaxies like grains of sand, our universe like a beach, other universes like the ocean or the mountains, and so on. But, none of that necessarily implies new dimensions, but only new perspectives.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
CylindricalParadox

chewybrian wrote: August 15th, 2020, 8:25 am
CylindricalParadox wrote: August 12th, 2020, 10:02 pm I find it so hard that we seem to be the only intelligent life forms in the universe, which leads me to suspect that the universe might not be as big as it seems.
But, wouldn't the fact that we have not encountered other intelligent life beyond earth simply confirm the vastness of the universe, on our own human scale?
CylindricalParadox wrote: August 12th, 2020, 10:02 pm Like the big scary ball of light in the sky, to us it looks like a sun but in a higher dimension it might appear as something that makes more sense.
That view does not feel like another dimension to me, but just a different scale. Your aquarium will feel much different to a tadpole than to a shark. On a different scale, our solar systems may seem like atoms, our galaxies like grains of sand, our universe like a beach, other universes like the ocean or the mountains, and so on. But, none of that necessarily implies new dimensions, but only new perspectives.

The Vedic model of the universe i believe gives a good reason why there might not be other life on other planets. The universe would have to be viewed as multiple dimensions and not so much infinite in terms of scale. The earth would have to be viewed as a physical plain of existence and not so much as wandering star. Humans beings would have to be viewed as a universal body type that extraterrestrials can experience a physical plain of existence. Spirits inhabiting human bodies to learn what it means to be human.

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream