Problems with the news - Has anyone noticed?

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Arjen
Favorite Philosopher: Immanuel Kant

Problems with the news - Has anyone noticed?

Post by Arjen »

Hello everybody,

I have been noticing many issues with the news in recent years. While, say 1 or 2 decades ago, I would turn to the news for facts, nowadays I see so much rubbish, that I think that the free press has some issues. As an example I would like to use a not so obviously politicized situation in Hong Kong a while back. It is politicized, but you will not know it. I am using HK, because my wife is from there and at that time the press was still free, while the CCP was trying to get the mass demonstrations (up to 2 million, 25% of the population) that wanted universal suffrage.

This article shows a mob attack during a oeaceful sit in at Yuen Long metro station:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/21/asia/hon ... index.html
CNN covered the article. Ofcourse it is significant that demonstrators are suddenly attacked by a mob of Triade members.l (all in white). It points to a connection between the CCP and organised crime.

In Chinese state media, the Triade was shiwn as victims of evil demonstrators for evil democracy. It was, in part, to ward off visitors from mainland China. Out of fear of demand for freedom spreading. Here, it is shown as logical that upstanding citizens beat those troublemaking protestors:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0gQ5INxOcfI
This is propaganda for western law abiding foreigners. So that the peaceful protests look like a small group of dissidents, like every country sees sometimes.

Comoared to that, CNN is much better. However, there is a key detail that everyone knows, but that CNN follows the propaganda on:
CNN wrote: Protesters were reportedly at the mercy of the mob for almost an hour before police arrived and at least 45 people were injured, some seriously
[\quote]
While in reality, the police purposefully walked away. Proving the complicity of the CCP.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CYxQYyYJwk0
There are better movies, but my batteries are running low.

Missing this key point, for an agency like CNN, which should be world class is significant. I see it all the time nowadays. Is it by mistake? Is it repeated without thinking? Is it on purpose, to get paid?

Has any one here ever noticed something similar to this? Or any other issue in the news in recent years?

Please comment below.
The saying that what is true in theory is not always true in practice, means that the theory is wrong!
~Immanuel Kant
Arjen

Re: Problems with the news - Has anyone noticed?

Post by Arjen »

I think this article actually describes things pretty well.
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/d ... xi-jinping

Did no one notice strange things in the news?
The saying that what is true in theory is not always true in practice, means that the theory is wrong!
~Immanuel Kant
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Arjen wrote:Did no one notice strange things in the news?
If by "strange" you mean "out of character" or "completely different from how things have been in the past" then, with regard to such things as editorial lines, propaganda and selective reporting, no. As you pointed out with reference to the Chinese state media, CNN and The Guardian, there are varying ways in which stories are reported. Some, such as those which are controlled by overtly dictatorial governments, like the CCP, have no semblance of objectivity at all. Others vary.

The challenge in working towards some approximation of objective truth, when we're not personally present, has always been to sift what we read by trying to bear in mind the vested interests, political positions and editorial lines of the writers. There was never some golden age when there was a global media that was entirely objective and factual. Far from it. Perhaps we just expect better now, and the better we expect things to get the more disappointed we are when they remain largely the same.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

I agree with you Steve, we do have to understand what the source is to properly judge it. Given the varying method and worldwide coverage, it is tough.

For me, there are 4 topics that tipped me off:
Taiwan
Hong Kong
BLM
Trump
After figuring those out, I noticed more and more.

Is my opening example e ough to peek your curiosity? Or should I give another from one of those 4 subjects?
~Immanuel Kant
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Well, treating the "news", like it is a single entity that can be described by phrases that fit on a bumper sticker is a gross oversimplification, to be charitable.

By my observation the breaking point between the "before" and the "after" (like it is for so many things) is the advent of the Interweb.

IMO what folks consume as "news" has changed much more than the real but relatively small changes in the traditional news sources themselves. Essentially today any yahoo in his mom's basement can be a "news" source, thus the quality of said "news" can vary from schoolyard bravado (Interweb bullying) to complete nonsense (QAnon).

Sort of a worldwide demonstration of GIGO (garbage in/garbage out).
"As usual... it depends."
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

LuckyR wrote: October 6th, 2020, 12:56 pm Well, treating the "news", like it is a single entity that can be described by phrases that fit on a bumper sticker is a gross oversimplification, to be charitable.
I disagree. It is exactly what is going on. Is there a real difference between most of the main stream media? They all show the same messages, almost word for word the same content.
IMO what folks consume as "news" has changed much more than the real but relatively small changes in the traditional news sources themselves. Essentially today any yahoo in his mom's basement can be a "news" source, thus the quality of said "news" can vary from schoolyard bravado (Interweb bullying) to complete nonsense (QAnon).
That is not untrue, but I must say that I have seen 15 year olds beat the main stream media on all sorts of things. Yet, I still have to find a Q Anon site! I have looked for it for weeks!

Perhaps another great example is the BLM Marxist agenda:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgEUbSzOTZ8

Did you see it on the news before last week?
Yet this is from a 2013 or 2014 speech.

How can the news not pick up on that, while completely flooding the news with all kinds of opinion stories without facts?
~Immanuel Kant
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

Fixed my quote tags. :)
LuckyR wrote: October 6th, 2020, 12:56 pm Well, treating the "news", like it is a single entity that can be described by phrases that fit on a bumper sticker is a gross oversimplification, to be charitable.
I disagree. It is exactly what is going on. Is there a real difference between most of the main stream media? They all show the same messages, almost word for word the same content.
That is not untrue, but I must say that I have seen 15 year olds beat the main stream media on all sorts of things. Yet, I still have to find a Q Anon site! I have looked for it for weeks!

How can the news not pick up on that, while completely flooding the news with all kinds of opinion stories without facts?
~Immanuel Kant
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Arjen wrote: October 7th, 2020, 3:08 pm Fixed my quote tags. :)

Ok, do you think that, say the New York Times is dramatically different now than it was before the Internet?

What is now called the Main Stream media used to be called... the media. They haven't changed much, they're still professional journalists. What's new is the alternative media whose growth caused traditional media to need a new label.

This alternative media isn't a single entity. Some of it is content paid for by special interests, some is opinion in search of facts, some is single topic specialty content, perhaps of high quality but of limited interest. Bottom line it is of extremely variable quality. I too know very bright 15 year olds, but I know many more 15 year olds who don't know jack.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

No, you miss the point. The main stream media are all reporting the same things in the same way. That never happened before. That is one of the main signals you should have noticed. The whole thing is that the small time reporters are not the ones being paid for special interests.

I have placed multiple links showing who is paying for the Marxist perspective. Why are you suggesting it is otherwise without any evidence? Those links are some of the very few examples of actual investigative journalism that I have seen in recent years.
~Immanuel Kant
SilverRing
New Trial Member

Post by SilverRing »

This problem can date back to the days of the Cold War and is a rather interesting topic. However, I shall attempt to keep this brief as it is currently just past midnight but if you are still interested after this response I would be more than pleased to further discuss this topic with you at a more holy hour.

The Cold War was less of a war between countries, but a war between intelligence and technology agencies. Although the Cold War technically ended in 1991, the true effects it has had are still ongoing today. One of the most famous power struggles, as portrayed by Hollywood, was the intense spy games to be played out beginning at this time. As to be expected, as it is with most things in the entertainment industry, they were (and are) not quite what many popular action movies would have you believe. I will be discussing the Russian spy program's effect on the United States as it fits into this topic quite well in some very remarkable ways.

The Russain spy program known as the "KGB Illegals" was a long term war strategy not to conquer the United States in a traditional brute force manner, but by taking advantage of the same thing that has caused the fall of most every great nation throughout history. These implants jobs were to implant themselves into all layers of American society, from your standard suburbs to your influencers and celebrities, politicians, and you guessed it- the media.

A KGB agent by the name of Yuri Bezmenov was a former KGB agent that managed to defect into Canada, and later on a national interview talk about the instructions given to these elite foreign spies. The tactic that was to be played out was not so much James Bond style espionage, but Ideological subversion. The full details on this multi-stage process can be found on YouTube if you search the "1985 Yuri Bezmenov interview". A quick summary of what the plan was in short, to lie undetected in American society and demoralize the nation. One of the most effective ways to do this is through the news and other media outlets. Polarizing the news would not only create a divide in the country, but would remove many from a sense of national pride.

Every election year for as long as many people remember now have been full with chaos, this one particularly. Everything especially now seems as though there is no option for a middle ground. If you are not supporting one party or the other then you are ostracized for being unprogressive. After taking all of this in, and considering the fact that the US military still considers Cold War spy programs an active threat, a reasonable assumption would be that everything Yuri Bezmenov warned about is happening, and just about in the exact time frame he said it would happen. I highly recommend you try the book "Russians Among Us" by Gorden Corera.

In short to answer your question yes, many have noticed, but the real thing to ask would be how far does this really go? I hope I provided you some food for thought.

-SilverRing
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Arjen wrote: October 8th, 2020, 2:08 am No, you miss the point. The main stream media are all reporting the same things in the same way. That never happened before. That is one of the main signals you should have noticed. The whole thing is that the small time reporters are not the ones being paid for special interests.

I have placed multiple links showing who is paying for the Marxist perspective. Why are you suggesting it is otherwise without any evidence? Those links are some of the very few examples of actual investigative journalism that I have seen in recent years.
Ah so. I agree with you that from a relative perspective, the Main Stream Media (MSM) appears to have less diversity of opinion than in the pre-Interweb era. However, IMO further analysis shows that this (true) appearance is not because of a cabal of Illuminati seeking to develop conformity among the masses, rather that the Alternative Media (AM) that has gained huge audiences in the modern Interweb era, is providing more "fringe" opinions thus making the real differences between MSM sources seem smaller in diversity.

For example, before the Interweb, the NY Times was considered left and the Wall Street Journal was considered right. IMO they have changed little in the modern era, but they are currently being described as MSM dupes whose differences are considered minor to meaningless. Which is true if you consider the "diversity" of opinions to include published BLM LEADERSHIP (as opposed to the rank and file BLM movement participants) on the left and QAnon on the right.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

I understand your perspective and that was how it was until x years ago. Nowadays, it has a different cause. For example:
-The BLM - Marxism connection that 0 big news organisation picked up on and are refusing to print when I inform the about it.
-The police walking away when triade members are beating up peaceful democratic protesters. While everyone was talking about it and human rights organisations were involved.

Do thise examples strike you as unusual?
~Immanuel Kant
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

SilverRing wrote: October 8th, 2020, 2:40 am However, I shall attempt to keep this brief as it is currently just past midnight but if you are still interested after this response I would be more than pleased to further discuss this topic with you at a more holy hour
I aoprexiate it and yes, I would.
Every election year for as long as many people remember now have been full with chaos, this one particularly. Everything especially now seems as though there is no option for a middle ground. If you are not supporting one party or the other then you are ostracized for being unprogressive. After taking all of this in, and considering the fact that the US military still considers Cold War spy programs an active threat, a reasonable assumption would be that everything Yuri Bezmenov warned about is happening, and just about in the exact time frame he said it would happen. I highly recommend you try the book "Russians Among Us" by Gorden Corera.
Yeah, it is quite bad. It makes me think that you all need more parties to vote for.
In short to answer your question yes, many have noticed, but the real thing to ask would be how far does this really go? I hope I provided you some food for thought.
I think that it is worldwide. I am just not sure about you Sovjets. I think it is Chinese.
~Immanuel Kant
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Arjen wrote: October 5th, 2020, 1:54 am I think this article actually describes things pretty well.
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/d ... xi-jinping

Did no one notice strange things in the news?
Your life would be more fruitful were you to more closely examine the propoganda machine that is creating your racism.
The real danger is your own local and national neews services that are playing you like a cheap violin to spew their own brand of ********.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Arjen wrote: October 8th, 2020, 2:41 pm I understand your perspective and that was how it was until x years ago. Nowadays, it has a different cause. For example:
-The BLM - Marxism connection that 0 big news organisation picked up on and are refusing to print when I inform the about it.
-The police walking away when triade members are beating up peaceful democratic protesters. While everyone was talking about it and human rights organisations were involved.

Do thise examples strike you as unusual?
What's this nowadays cause?

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream