How I sometimes get creative ideas

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
ham-coach
New Trial Member

How I sometimes get creative ideas

Post by ham-coach »

When I drink coffee, I get the craziest ideas. Let me tell you about that:

A few hundred meters from our apartment, there is a bakery where it is possible to drink coffee. Normally, I work by myself in my own office. So I am happy to leave the apartment or my office and drink a cup of coffee in the bakery. This is quite pleasant. Part of the pleasantness is that the coffee in the bakery tastes so well.

With regards to new ideas, the process is as follows:
On the way to the bakery, I don't get any ideas. On the way, I observe the world around me for a while. During the rest of the time, I listen to my own inner voice. And I can't wait to find out what it will tell me.

In the bakery, while I am drinking my coffee, I get some kind of an important idea, which I write down. I always write down any idea no matter how unimportant it is.
Often, I spent the entire time writing. At the same time, I notice that the coffee tastes very very good and that that is something worth noting.

On the way home, I don't get any ideas. I tell myself: That's just the way it is.
While I am walking, I get some great idea.

Several factors contribute to the formation of a new idea:

The factor of time
Drinking coffee is a relaxing activity. I take time for that. I even take time to walk slowly, and to observe everything around me. As if with new eyes.
Time is one of the hot buttons of creativity!

Contact with the unconscious mind
Our unconsciousness is the center of our wishes. When we do pleasant things, then we come somewhat closer to our unconscious mind.
In this short story, several things happen which are quite pleasant for me:
Even the fact that I take time is very pleasant. Otherwise, I am busy with professional responsibilities
Walking is pleasant
The coffee taste very good and smells good
It is also pleasant to leave my own four walls and to experience something different
Why does that facilitate creativity? Because the unconscious mind is the source which stimulates or enables all creativity!

Flowing
When a person drinks, the body is in a state of flux. Bodily processes begin to flow.
People are basically very simple. Flowing is flowing! When bodily processes begin to flow, then thoughts also begin to flow.

In the bakery, I write down any thoughts I have. It doesn't matter what those thoughts are or how important they are!
However, this writing down is a very important -- for several reasons:
Basically, I would like to simply stand there and drink my coffee. But no, it is important to write these thoughts down! For that, I sacrifice the most pleasant minutes of my day. That means: I take myself and my thoughts seriously!
By writing down my thoughts, I stimulates my thinking in a very general way. It doesn't matter what these thoughts are. By writing them down, my thinking begins to flow.
This flowing also allows me to come up with brilliant ideas.

Letting go
I tell myself many times, I guess I'm not going to get any ideas today. Then, I am disappointed. But there's no sense in forcing brilliant ideas.
That means: I do not put myself under pressure. Any pressure to perform counteracts creativity.
Creativity can only occur when there's no pressure. That is important!
When I do not apply pressure, then I can be creative. I let myself go. And I tell myself, it doesn't matter if I don't get any ideas. That's okay.
That's when I get most of my ideas.

Confidence
I always get ideas, I am always creative. I don't have to worry about that. That is a self-fulfilling prophecy. That is powerful!
Because I know that I will think of something creative -- that's why I will think of something. That is fantastic.
It's probably this way: because I am so confident, I do not apply pressure to myself. Then the creativity can flow -- and then it does flow (see above on flowing).

Exercise
Exercise facilitates creativity. There are several reasons for that:
When I move around freely, then I have time, then I am taking time. And taking time is a hot button of creativity. (See above comments on the factor of time)
When I move around, then I begin a simple process of flowing. I get my circulation going. This flowing facilitates creativity very much. (See above comments on Flowing)
Exercise is always a pleasant activity. (See above comments on contact with the unconscious mind)
when I move around freely, then I see my surroundings more intensively and alertly. When I do this in my time off, then this process is even more intensive.
Then sometimes I am suddenly curious. Sometimes, I noticed things that were always there. And I am astonished about everyday things. These are two aspects of the triad. (See the comments below)

My bag of tricks: the triad
I must admit: I have a few tricks up my sleeves. These tricks are called the triad. I have invented this triad myself, which has the following three aspects:
curiosity
sense of wonder
self-challenge

I experience and again and again: When one applies these habits, one will almost always be creative.
Belindi

Re: How I sometimes get creative ideas

Post by Belindi »

My guess is that you are more creative when you are not deliberately focusing your attention . When you leave the confines of your work place and walk out of doors and sit relaxed drinking your coffee your mind is unfocused so unwilled ideas can occur.
Fellowmater

Re: How I sometimes get creative ideas

Post by Fellowmater »

How I generate ideas:

Engage in Observation Sessions.
Socialize Outside Your Normal Circles.
Read More Books.
Randomly Surf the Web.
Keep a Regular Journal.
Meditate.
Use Structured Exercises.

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream