Why Does The Left Destroy Everything It Touches?

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
impermanence

Re: Why Does The Left Destroy Everything It Touches?

Post by impermanence »

Papus79 wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 7:30 pmYeah, that's really the sad thing about this.

I love watching 'Just Have A Think' on Youtube when he has his technology updates. Today he shared something I wasn't even aware of - that there's some hint that vertical farms might even be able to handle grain production profitably now - that was seen as a really far-future thing even just a few years ago! It's not just Pinker now, it's a lot of more cautious optimists really suggesting that we're positioned to pull right through this if we can keep crazy at bay for at least another decade or so. If I were a Bread-Tuber I couldn't be more excited or even considering the possibility that a Jacques Fresco Venus Project / RBE could be far less crazy of an idea within the next few decades than it ever was.

The trick is keeping the witch-hunters busy with as many stick-figures as possible, maybe piñatas full of candy, perhaps some of the wealthiest admitting that certain things, more useful than just handouts, are needed for getting the US, Europe, etc. back on their feet economically and give the generations who are hitting the work world right now some kind of fair shake at actually applying themselves and getting a fair exchange. Past that - as Mark Blyth would say - the Hampton's aren't a militarily defensible position and it would be a horror to watch our ability to feed potentially 11 billion people, solve global warming and environmental degradation, beat Covid, etc. go up in smoke because people are itching too badly for a fight and damaged civilization too badly for those things to roll out well.
The most important thing people can do is calm down. Making things worse doesn't help anybody. Next they need to learn how see things with some clarity which will give them the ability to understand and react [eventually be proactive] with skillful and meaningful actions. People suffer from ignorance and a plethora of emotional dis-abilities.

Despite all the insanity going on, we still live in an incredible time with boundless opportunities for self-realization. What else can one ask for?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Given how the table is tilted, I do not judge the obese or others who many judge as 'self destructive".

At this stage it appears that a sizeable portion of the US population feels they have so little to lose that they don't care what happens to democracy. They feel it has not served them, and they have lost interest, prepared to try autocracy - as long as it is their autocrat. If life seems worthless to them, they are not so inclined to fuss overly about health.

Opportunities are largely gone for the many. Once an individual could make discoveries, now our job is to read about them. Aside from the occasional fluke and/or genius, individuals cannot hope to compete against teams of experts using state-of-the-art computing and other equipment.
baker

Post by baker »

impermanence wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 8:27 pmDespite all the insanity going on, we still live in an incredible time with boundless opportunities for self-realization. What else can one ask for?
"Self-realization"?? Which is suposed to mean what exactly? Earning a lot of money and buying stuff?
baker

Post by baker »

impermanence wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 1:13 pm
baker wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 8:27 am Oh? So you're the judge, jury, and executioner?

And you still can't copy-paste where I said what you claim I said. You're making stuff up.
I'm not going to defend claims you merely imagine I hold.
I don't even remember what we were talking about so you might wish to let it go, as well.
No.

You said:
impermanence wrote: December 28th, 2020, 1:16 pmI know you want to live in a world where everything is perfect
I requested a copy-paste of where I said that. You refused to provide one, and said I was "guilty by association".
And now you don't even know what you're talking about??!

You cannot just accuse people of things while having no basis for your accusation.
impermanence

Post by impermanence »

baker wrote: January 4th, 2021, 8:04 am
impermanence wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 8:27 pmDespite all the insanity going on, we still live in an incredible time with boundless opportunities for self-realization. What else can one ask for?
"Self-realization"?? Which is supposed to mean what exactly? Earning a lot of money and buying stuff?
It means figuring out what your purpose is on this planet.
impermanence

Post by impermanence »

baker wrote: January 4th, 2021, 8:13 am
impermanence wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 1:13 pmI don't even remember what we were talking about so you might wish to let it go, as well.
No.

You said:
impermanence wrote: December 28th, 2020, 1:16 pmI know you want to live in a world where everything is perfect
I requested a copy-paste of where I said that. You refused to provide one, and said I was "guilty by association".
And now you don't even know what you're talking about??!

You cannot just accuse people of things while having no basis for your accusation.
I am sure I had a good reason for suggesting what I did but to tell you the truth, it's not really worth looking back and re-hashing. Just the same, it seems as if left-leaning folks have a tendency to be a tab bit idealistic.

baker, don't take this stuff so personally. It's just a friendly conversation, not the Nuremberg trials.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Greta wrote:You spoke of obesity. That's what happens when you have a tax system that makes highly processed foods full of sugar, trans fats and nitrates much cheaper than fresh food. It's what happens when you allow carcinogens to be put in what are treated as staple foods by millions. The responsibility goes both ways and, as a rule of thumb, the greater the power, the greater the responsibility.
Or, on a more basic level, it's what happens when market forces go to work on the evolved traits which influence human desires. We've evolved a love of sugar, fat and salt because historically these things have been rare. The ever increasing efficiency of market forces makes satisfying these desires at lower and lower cost, and easier and easier access, and therefore greater and greater profit, more and more possible. So people eat themselves to death. It's one of the many examples of where markets can solve problems very effectively in the short term with solutions that are self-destructive in the long term, to the same degree that they are effective in the short term. The big debate, of course, is what, if anything, to do about that.

Saying, as impermanence does, that people need to take greater personal responsibility for themselves in not a proposed solution. It's just the expression of a personal desire. It's like saying "people should stop fighting each other and love each other" is not a policy proposal for ending wars. It's something that would be nice if it happened. But it won't just happen.
impermanence

Post by impermanence »

Greta wrote: January 4th, 2021, 1:54 am Given how the table is tilted, I do not judge the obese or others who many judge as 'self destructive".
If you were treating the ravaging affects of diabetes, you might feel differently.
At this stage it appears that a sizeable portion of the US population feels they have so little to lose that they don't care what happens to democracy. They feel it has not served them, and they have lost interest, prepared to try autocracy - as long as it is their autocrat. If life seems worthless to them, they are not so inclined to fuss overly about health.
There is no doubt that a sizable percentage of the population is just along for the ride, but this has always been the case. It is always the few who do most of the work in any group. Why people have not taken their health more seriously is another question that nobody has any good answers for thus far.
Opportunities are largely gone for the many. Once an individual could make discoveries, now our job is to read about them. Aside from the occasional fluke and/or genius, individuals cannot hope to compete against teams of experts using state-of-the-art computing and other equipment.
There are ALWAYS opportunities for those willing to work hard enough. We grew up in a era of incredible prosperity where multiple opportunities were low hanging fruit. That's not the case anymore but that's the way it goes. There are still millions of people succeeding in this country [as in yours], you just have to work harder [and smarter].

And btw, most innovation still comes from individuals [and always will].

Greta, don't give up hope. Things are never as good or bad as they seem. Once a great deal of the dys-function is purged from the system, even better opportunities will present themselves. For now, people should conserve their resources and look within [where all the good stuff is anyway].
baker

Post by baker »

impermanence wrote: January 4th, 2021, 11:44 amI am sure I had a good reason for suggesting what I did but to tell you the truth, it's not really worth looking back and re-hashing. Just the same, it seems as if left-leaning folks have a tendency to be a tab bit idealistic.

baker, don't take this stuff so personally. It's just a friendly conversation, not the Nuremberg trials.
Don't play coy. This stopped being a "friendly conversation" when you accused me of something you refused to substantiate.

IOW, you're giving here, with your own behavior, an example of precisely that which you so criticize.
baker

Post by baker »

Steve3007 wrote: January 4th, 2021, 11:57 amSaying, as impermanence does, that people need to take greater personal responsibility for themselves in not a proposed solution. It's just the expression of a personal desire. It's like saying "people should stop fighting each other and love each other" is not a policy proposal for ending wars. It's something that would be nice if it happened. But it won't just happen.
Yeah. He sounds like someone who's drank the kool-aid of self-help books.
impermanence

Post by impermanence »

Steve3007 wrote: January 4th, 2021, 11:57 amSaying, as impermanence does, that people need to take greater personal responsibility for themselves in not a proposed solution. It's just the expression of a personal desire. It's like saying "people should stop fighting each other and love each other" is not a policy proposal for ending wars. It's something that would be nice if it happened. But it won't just happen.
You can't nor should you attempt to fix everybody. These are adults and they need to make their own decisions and suffer the consequences [or reap the rewards] of those choices. This is how people learn. You want to bail everybody out, then you will further the incredibly dys-functional adult-child culture that has been in place for several decades now.

Let people figure it out for themselves. As long as they do no harm to others, it's their life. Let them live it the way they see fit. This is freedom and sometimes it's a bit ugly, but the overall result is the best man can hope for...
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

baker wrote:Yeah. He sounds like someone who's drank the kool-aid of self-help books.
I've got nothing against people expressing their personal desires. I just don't think they're very interesting. I think it's more interesting to consider problems and propose potential practicable solutions. Saying something like "people should take responsibility for their lives" or "people should stop fighting each other" or "I like ice cream" is not offensive. It's just not the basis of an argument. And I think we all like arguing around these parts.
baker

Post by baker »

impermanence wrote: January 4th, 2021, 12:09 pmYou can't nor should you attempt to fix everybody.
Who's saying we should?
These are adults and they need to make their own decisions and suffer the consequences [or reap the rewards] of those choices.
Which is exactly what they do. So you can't take any issue with anyone. Not the fat Americans, not the Leftists, noone.
Let people figure it out for themselves.
You're the one who's not letting them figure things out for themselves!!
impermanence

Post by impermanence »

Steve3007 wrote: January 4th, 2021, 12:12 pm
baker wrote:Yeah. He sounds like someone who's drank the kool-aid of self-help books.
I've got nothing against people expressing their personal desires. I just don't think they're very interesting. I think it's more interesting to consider problems and propose potential practicable solutions. Saying something like "people should take responsibility for their lives" or "people should stop fighting each other" or "I like ice cream" is not offensive. It's just not the basis of an argument. And I think we all like arguing around these parts.
If people would take complete responsibility for themselves, it would eliminate 90% of the problems they have [and the other 10% would be quite manageable].

This is wisdom passed down for millennia, not my feelings. It can't get anymore basic than this.
impermanence

Post by impermanence »

baker wrote: January 4th, 2021, 12:17 pm
impermanence wrote: January 4th, 2021, 12:09 pmYou can't nor should you attempt to fix everybody.
Who's saying we should?
These are adults and they need to make their own decisions and suffer the consequences [or reap the rewards] of those choices.
Which is exactly what they do. So you can't take any issue with anyone. Not the fat Americans, not the Leftists, noone.
Let people figure it out for themselves.
You're the one who's not letting them figure things out for themselves!!
The obese are a tremendous burden on the health care system [fiscally and otherwise]. I am saying that people should be completely responsible for their behavior and pay the consequences [not have everybody else pay]. This goes for individuals, government, corporations, etc.

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream