Depression & Anxiety

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
dontkilldad
New Trial Member

Depression & Anxiety

Post by dontkilldad »

I know this is not a nice thing to say. However, I believe it must be said. To question how a country so privileged, with such high quality of life, could possibly have a vast majority of their youth be depressed or anxious, is laughable. The simplest answer I can offer is such. Because the country is so privileged and has such a high quality of life, its youth is bound to succumb to depression and anxiety. The shere quantitives of things that must be accounted for that make up this phenomena are far too many to list at this moment, but I will list a few. Posit this if you will, in recent years, statistics have shown that 15% of the population ages from 13 - 22 have either felt depressed or anxious at least once in their life. Contrast this with older data that suggested, only 3% of the population in the similar age ranges, having felt depressed or anxious. This can mean two things. It can mean, in recent years people have become more depressed and anxious than before. Or it can mean just as many or more people were depressed then, but due to lack of a pool sample, it seems so little.
If the first is true, then it would lead one to believe, despite on a general scale of everyone living a comfy life, without the former stressors of our less advanced and equipped selves. We find ourselves more depressed and anxious, than ever recorded. That this non-confrontational, happy go lucky, way of living has brewed more problems than that we have ever faced. We traded in our old worries about survival, protecting our land, raising our children. For modern sorrows about which pronouns we use, whether or not we want to live in a studio paying $1,500 or a one bedroom for $2,100, or deluding ourselves, that we don’t need anyone and are satisfied with just our dog. I don’t find myself surprised or at all shocked, when a teenage boy in the midwest says he’s depressed or suicidal because he was bullied for being gay. Or when a twenty something says she suffers from anxiety due to societal and cultural pressures. I am the least bit surprised. Although, I am surprised when a young man who tends to the cattles, shepherds the lambs, and feeds his family, says he is depressed or anxious. I am surprised when a teenage girl that cooks and bakes alongside her mother, reads her religious scripture, cleans her home says she is depressed or anxious. This illicits confusion. How could doing something so human, so integral, cause one to have depression or anxiety? Could it be the uncertainty of food that causes the anxiety? Could it be the shakey faith that causes the depression? It couldn’t possibly be the uncertainty of food, as having the certainty of food, still we are anxious, and it can’t be the shakey faith, because even with total rejection of a higher power, we are still depressed. Then what could it be? Perhaps, this lingering depression and anxiety is inate as to who and what we are, maybe it is inevitable that we will be depressed or anxious. It will forever be a part of us, but what is it that has led to the increase of those who are. Pool sample? Fear of ridicule? Romanticization?
LuckyR

Re: Depression & Anxiety

Post by LuckyR »

dontkilldad wrote: May 8th, 2021, 7:22 am I know this is not a nice thing to say. However, I believe it must be said. To question how a country so privileged, with such high quality of life, could possibly have a vast majority of their youth be depressed or anxious, is laughable. The simplest answer I can offer is such. Because the country is so privileged and has such a high quality of life, its youth is bound to succumb to depression and anxiety. The shere quantitives of things that must be accounted for that make up this phenomena are far too many to list at this moment, but I will list a few. Posit this if you will, in recent years, statistics have shown that 15% of the population ages from 13 - 22 have either felt depressed or anxious at least once in their life. Contrast this with older data that suggested, only 3% of the population in the similar age ranges, having felt depressed or anxious. This can mean two things. It can mean, in recent years people have become more depressed and anxious than before. Or it can mean just as many or more people were depressed then, but due to lack of a pool sample, it seems so little.
If the first is true, then it would lead one to believe, despite on a general scale of everyone living a comfy life, without the former stressors of our less advanced and equipped selves. We find ourselves more depressed and anxious, than ever recorded. That this non-confrontational, happy go lucky, way of living has brewed more problems than that we have ever faced. We traded in our old worries about survival, protecting our land, raising our children. For modern sorrows about which pronouns we use, whether or not we want to live in a studio paying $1,500 or a one bedroom for $2,100, or deluding ourselves, that we don’t need anyone and are satisfied with just our dog. I don’t find myself surprised or at all shocked, when a teenage boy in the midwest says he’s depressed or suicidal because he was bullied for being gay. Or when a twenty something says she suffers from anxiety due to societal and cultural pressures. I am the least bit surprised. Although, I am surprised when a young man who tends to the cattles, shepherds the lambs, and feeds his family, says he is depressed or anxious. I am surprised when a teenage girl that cooks and bakes alongside her mother, reads her religious scripture, cleans her home says she is depressed or anxious. This illicits confusion. How could doing something so human, so integral, cause one to have depression or anxiety? Could it be the uncertainty of food that causes the anxiety? Could it be the shakey faith that causes the depression? It couldn’t possibly be the uncertainty of food, as having the certainty of food, still we are anxious, and it can’t be the shakey faith, because even with total rejection of a higher power, we are still depressed. Then what could it be? Perhaps, this lingering depression and anxiety is inate as to who and what we are, maybe it is inevitable that we will be depressed or anxious. It will forever be a part of us, but what is it that has led to the increase of those who are. Pool sample? Fear of ridicule? Romanticization?
You seem to be confusing sadness with depression. Sadness is caused by life stressors, depression is caused by neurochemical imbalance in the brain. Of course the sad group and the depressed group definitely overlap because they are so large.

Very few argue that depression was underreported in previous eras, so you are correct that straight statistical comparisons between eras on depression are inaccurate on their face.

You seem determined to discuss the relationship between stressors and sadness in the modern era. To my eye there are two new issues that drive sadness that previous generations didn't have to address. The first is social media, where everyone pretends to be more interesting and happier than they really are, thus when viewed by simple minds, makes one's real life look extra boring and lame. The second is the death of the middle class due to tax policy changes that boost the wealthy class at the expense of everyone else. The poor can barely tell they are poorer but the middle class can tell they are losing ground, generationally.
"As usual... it depends."
MAYA EL

Post by MAYA EL »

I had a theory on social depression a couple of years ago that you might find interesting . here's a video a friend of mine did on it . i figured it would be easier than reading a ton of text lol but if you have questions please feel free to ask
https://youtu.be/5RoMmAXEkek
Fellowmater

Post by Fellowmater »

Not everyone in any 1st world country with lots of privilege can afford it right? And yes, many can afford it but how easy it is for them to maintain that lifestyle? I don't think so. Everyone has their own battlegrounds in their minds and we all have different ways to challenge them.
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. I have a few notes to share with you below.
dontkilldad wrote: May 8th, 2021, 7:22 am
…statistics have shown that 15% of the population ages from 13 - 22 have either felt depressed or anxious at least once in their life.

…a vast majority of their youth [is] depressed or anxious…
I hesitate to point out that 15% is not a vast majority. Also, saying that a majority is depressed or anxious (I.e. suggesting that this was a concurrent event) is not comparable to a timeframe of the previous 13 to 22 years.
Because the country is so privileged and has such a high quality of life, its youth is bound to succumb to depression and anxiety.
I should point out that without statistical evidence, there’s no way to know if privilege and high quality of life are causal agents of depression and anxiety.
The shere (sic) quantitives (sic) of things that must be accounted for that make up this phenomena are far too many to list at this moment,
I agree. Indeed there are many.
We traded in our old worries about survival, protecting our land, raising our children. For modern sorrows about which pronouns we use, whether or not we want to live in a studio paying $1,500 or a one bedroom for $2,100, or deluding ourselves, that we don’t need anyone and are satisfied with just our dog.
I doubt this, however you may have some evidence supporting the connection between protecting our land and the pronouns we use.
I don’t find myself surprised or at all shocked, when a teenage boy in the midwest says he’s depressed or suicidal because he was bullied for being gay. Or when a twenty something says she suffers from anxiety due to societal and cultural pressures. I am the least bit surprised.

Although, I am surprised when a young man who tends to the cattles, shepherds the lambs, and feeds his family, says he is depressed or anxious. I am surprised when a teenage girl that cooks and bakes alongside her mother, reads her religious scripture, cleans her home says she is depressed or anxious. This illicits confusion. How could doing something so human, so integral, cause one to have depression or anxiety? Could it be the uncertainty of food that causes the anxiety? Could it be the shakey faith that causes the depression? It couldn’t possibly be the uncertainty of food, as having the certainty of food, still we are anxious, and it can’t be the shakey faith, because even with total rejection of a higher power, we are still depressed.
Inasmuch as you seem to be focusing on cattle, cooking, cleaning, scripture and faith, you are actually off topic here.
Then what could it be? Perhaps, this lingering depression and anxiety is inate (sic) as to who and what we are, maybe it is inevitable that we will be depressed or anxious. It will forever be a part of us,
This may well be the case. Certainly intrinsic depression, presumably due to biochemical imbalances, is innate in some individuals. And anxiety seems to be a part of the personality that stems from a primal response to stressors.
but what is it that has led to the increase of those who are. Pool sample? Fear of ridicule? Romanticization?
I should say that after digesting your comments, what has lead to an increase in depression and anxiety could be just about anything.

Again, I wish to thank you for your thought provoking comments.

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream