What does it mean to be coherent?

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Steve3007

What does it mean to be coherent?

Post by Steve3007 »

There is a wide range of writing styles in this forum, both between different posters and sometimes between the posts of the same poster. Is it fair to say that some are more coherent than others? Most of us probably have an innate sense of when another poster is saying something that we can get a handle on and when they're talking what appears to us to be meaning-free gibberish, or just confused and badly formed sentences. We can probably tell if a post is telling us something, reasonably unambiguously, about the poster's worldview. But can we spell out the criteria that we use for this? In doing that, would it be possible to propose a sort of algorithm, or recipe, that other posters could follow if they wanted to say something that we would consider coherent?

One example of the way that poor writing style can develop is the first sentence in this OP. It originally said just this:

"There is a wide range of writing styles in this forum."

Simple. But I decided to "clarify" it by qualifying it (adding the part after the comma). That probably isn't generally a good idea. Adding qualifications to a sentence with the aim of making it say something more precise often comes at the cost of making it longer and less readable. Sometimes, after writing something and reading it back, we have to resist the temptation to think that it's not specific enough or is too open to interpretation. Brevity is often preferable to broad scope.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Re: What does it mean to be coherent?

Post by Terrapin Station »

Coherence:

(a) whether something makes semantic sense as opposed to just being gibberish (which can be either because the thoughts behind it were muddled or because it was expressed poorly),

and

(b) whether something make logical and/or metaphysical sense versus forwarding or entailing logical contradictions, category errors and the like.

Would there be a way to summarize all of the conditions for this via some algorithm? No, not really, since it covers such a wide range of things, and it would be impossible to come up with a comprehensive list of possibilities.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

When I get responses to my posts that don't address my point, I commonly feel it is because my point is well made, thus it is easier to counter by addressing something other than what I wrote. However other options could be that I was confusing, or that a reader got bored by my comments and didn't read them through.

We often choose the option that is easiest on our egos.
"As usual... it depends."
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

LuckyR wrote:When I get responses to my posts that don't address my point, I commonly feel it is because my point is well made, thus it is easier to counter by addressing something other than what I wrote. However other options could be that I was confusing, or that a reader got bored by my comments and didn't read them through.

Yes. I often think it would be useful to have things like a thumbs-up feature, as in MS Teams for example. I use Teams a lot to communicate work-related stuff and sticking a quick thumbs-up tag on a post is a good way to indicate that it's been read and not objected to, without cluttering things up with posts that simply say "I agree" or "acknowledged". The fact that the workings of this particular site make it very easy to quote an entire post and then write one line underneath really adds to that clutter in my view.

I setup an alternative site a while ago (near the start of this year when this one was down for a while):

https://philotalk.com/

but haven't yet developed it at all and might never have time! If I had time, I'd try to add features to it that I think would help. Another desirable feature, in my view, would be the ability to quickly and easily add hand-drawn sketches into the middle of posts.
Fellowmater

Post by Fellowmater »

If someone is coherent, they express their thoughts in a clear and calm way, so that other people can understand what they are saying.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Fellowmater wrote: May 14th, 2021, 4:23 pm If someone is coherent, they express their thoughts in a clear and calm way, so that other people can understand what they are saying.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Steve3007 wrote: May 12th, 2021, 5:39 am There is a wide range of writing styles in this forum, both between different posters and sometimes between the posts of the same poster. Is it fair to say that some are more coherent than others?

Yes, I think it's fair. Here is a brief excerpt from the coding standard I wrote for my final employer.
I wrote:Aim
The aim of these coding guidelines is to encourage the production of source code which is easy to read and understand, i.e. clarity. Consistency is considered a prime contributor to clarity, and may be seen as a secondary aim.

The primary guideline is: The aim of this document takes precedence over its guidelines.

Significant deviations from these guidelines should be documented, and approved by a code review. The normal justification for a deviation is clarity.

Guidelines

Steve3007 wrote: May 12th, 2021, 5:39 am But can we spell out the criteria that we use for this? In doing that, would it be possible to propose a sort of algorithm, or recipe, that other posters could follow if they wanted to say something that we would consider coherent?
There are many writing-style guides that offer advice. Here are a couple of classics:

The Elements of style by William Strunk, Jr.
The King’s English by H.W. Fowler

The crux of this topic is that there's a big difference between knowing how to write clear text and doing it. I have been interested in clear writing for long enough that I can claim some (limited) expertise, but this has not made me a talented exponent of the art!
  • Clear writing requires a little talent, and a lot of practice.
  • Don't they say we must practice a skill for 10,000 hours to become truly competent?
  • Alternatively, your first million words are practice.

What does it mean to be coherent? A simple 'equation':

Coherence = Clarity + Simplicity + Brevity
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Pattern-chaser wrote:Coherence = Clarity + Simplicity + Brevity
Sometimes clarity gets into a fight with simplicity and brevity, and everybody loses.

That is, sometimes it's tempting to try to clarify what one is saying by adding explanations or examples (for example by putting them in brackets. 1) so as to try to head off possible objections that are based on misunderstandings of what one was trying to say. It's a particular issue in environments like this one where (unlike a face-to-face conversation) you don't get immediate feedback. It's hard to resist that temptation and just to say something short and then wait, maybe several days, maybe forever, for the reply that allows you to give the clarification that would have come a few seconds later in a face-to-face discussion.

So, in this post, arguably, I should have left it at that first (what I'd like to think of as pithy) sentence and waited for you to say "Really? How so?".

1Or maybe even by adding them as numbered footnotes.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

LuckyR wrote: May 13th, 2021, 2:54 am When I get responses to my posts that don't address my point, I commonly feel it is because my point is well made, thus it is easier to counter by addressing something other than what I wrote. However other options could be that I was confusing, or that a reader got bored by my comments and didn't read them through.

When I get responses to my posts that don't address my point, I commonly feel it is because my point is not well made...
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Pattern-chaser wrote: May 18th, 2021, 6:25 am
LuckyR wrote: May 13th, 2021, 2:54 am When I get responses to my posts that don't address my point, I commonly feel it is because my point is well made, thus it is easier to counter by addressing something other than what I wrote. However other options could be that I was confusing, or that a reader got bored by my comments and didn't read them through.

When I get responses to my posts that don't address my point, I commonly feel it is because my point is not well made...
Thus the effect of an over abundance and a lack of confidence. The truth, as usual probably lies somewhere in between.
"As usual... it depends."
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Steve3007 wrote: May 18th, 2021, 6:16 am
Pattern-chaser wrote:Coherence = Clarity + Simplicity + Brevity
Sometimes clarity gets into a fight with simplicity and brevity, and everybody loses.
I'm sorry. In my head, I responded to this soon after you wrote it. Reality turns out to be different. <blush>

Yes, you're right. Achieving clarity, simplicity and brevity simultaneously is quite a skill. But then, clear writing is very demanding. If it wasn't we'd be swamped in amazing text, and this topic wouldn't even have been thought of.

I started off by saying you're right, but it is also the case that you're quite wrong. It is not necessary for clarity to clash with the other two, although I acknowledge it can happen. All of them contribute directly to coherence, so all of them can be arranged to push in the same direction. That's the challenge of writing clearly.

Finally, I cannot accept that "everybody loses" when an attempt at clear writing falls short of perfection. I think all efforts aimed at coherence leave the writing better than it otherwise would have been.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Robert66

Post by Robert66 »

My inner contrarian must object to all this nonsense. There is something far more important than coherence, and if you would like to know what I consider that something to be - if, I mean, you are truly interested, and not just scrolling through the endless dross searching for a morsel to sustain you, perhaps a little anecdotal tidbit which resonates with your (already fully-formed, robust) world view; something, indeed, to brighten another weary day - then I would urge you to keep reading this admittedly long and winding sentence, for as sure as night follows day, the answer will be revealed (though I suspect you have already a sense - the merest inkling, perhaps, or maybe an unshakeable conviction - of what that answer will be) when I tell you that that 'something' is meaning.

'Adding qualifications to a sentence with the aim of making it say something more precise often comes at the cost of making it longer and less readable.'

This may be true, however it is also true that the part which follows the comma often provides most of what is interesting in the writing. We start our reading adventure with simple sentences such as "the cat sat on the mat" but thankfully we move on from there. I have just finished a very enjoyable novel - Solar Bones by Mike McCormack - which contains no full stops. Just one long, irrestistible flow, coherent over hundreds of pages.

Exhibit A: Bob Dylan. Coherent, clear? Not at all.
Exhibit B: 99% of popular music. Coherent, clear? Definitely. Not hard to understand "I wanna get (back) into your pants".

I also recommend one of my all-time favourite novels, The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien - a novel with lengthy footnotes! Imagine that.
Robert66

Post by Robert66 »

I should have added a clause or two about The Third Policeman. It manages to be absurd, almost impenetrable, and absolutely hilarious in equal measure. The footnotes add another layer of hilarity. It is an incoherent masterpiece.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Robert66 wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 5:18 pm My inner contrarian must object to all this nonsense. There is something far more important than coherence [...] meaning.
The transmission of meaning is difficult enough as it is. Coherent text, as discussed here, aids in the accurate transmission of meaning. Coherence describes the transport mechanism; the meaning is what is being transported.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Pattern-chaser wrote:I'm sorry. In my head, I responded to this soon after you wrote it. Reality turns out to be different. <blush>
No problem. Happens to me a lot too.
Yes, you're right. Achieving clarity, simplicity and brevity simultaneously is quite a skill. But then, clear writing is very demanding. If it wasn't we'd be swamped in amazing text, and this topic wouldn't even have been thought of.

I started off by saying you're right, but it is also the case that you're quite wrong. It is not necessary for clarity to clash with the other two, although I acknowledge it can happen. All of them contribute directly to coherence, so all of them can be arranged to push in the same direction. That's the challenge of writing clearly.
True. It is not necessary for them to clash. It just sometimes happens.
Finally, I cannot accept that "everybody loses" when an attempt at clear writing falls short of perfection. I think all efforts aimed at coherence leave the writing better than it otherwise would have been.
Fair point. Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Or so they say.

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream