Happy Pride Month to my LGBTQ friends! 🧡

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: Happy Pride Month to my LGBTQ friends! 🧡

Post by Sy Borg »

MAYA EL wrote: June 26th, 2021, 4:03 am
Sy Borg wrote: June 23rd, 2021, 1:24 am
MAYA EL wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 10:13 pm
Sy Borg wrote: June 20th, 2021, 8:24 pm
Yes, Maya's perspective is ridiculous and childish. Do we talk about straight couples in terms of the man shoving his penis in the woman's vagina?
Im sure people do however i don't participate in said conversations because im mature and have no need to talk about dicks and balls and bowling ball halls

And even still it's at least a conversation on something more natural and not rooted in a neurotic trauma or learned behavior from someone else that most likely has a neurotic trauma.
Gee, that "neurotic trauma" seems to be persistent! It's lasted through all of human history in all societies, not to mention numerous mammals and other animals.

This is known as "natural variation". Do you accept human diversity or do you believe that all people must be completely identical and retain total conformity in certain areas of life? Are there other areas of life, other than crime, where you believe that all people must be the same? Or is it just sexuality? If it is just sexuality, that is more reflective of your issues than anyone else's.
No that is a false dilemma fallacy .
So natural diversity is a false dilemma fallacy?
MAYA EL

Post by MAYA EL »

MAYA EL wrote: June 20th, 2021, 7:58 amAnd you seem to think that not talking about a guy liking another man's penis shoved up his ass is some kind of negative thing?
Yes, Maya's perspective is ridiculous and childish. Do we talk about straight couples in terms of the man shoving his penis in the woman's vagina?
Im sure people do however i don't participate in said conversations because im mature and have no need to talk about dicks and balls and bowling ball halls

And even still it's at least a conversation on something more natural and not rooted in a neurotic trauma or learned behavior from someone else that most likely has a neurotic trauma.
Gee, that "neurotic trauma" seems to be persistent! It's lasted through all of human history in all societies, not to mention numerous mammals and other animals.

This is known as "natural variation". Do you accept human diversity or do you believe that all people must be completely identical and retain total conformity in certain areas of life? Are there other areas of life, other than crime, where you believe that all people must be the same? Or is it just sexuality? If it is just sexuality, that is more reflective of your issues than anyone else's.
That is a straw man fallacy and were not having a conversation.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

MAYA EL wrote: June 26th, 2021, 4:07 am

That is a straw man fallacy and were not having a conversation.
Of course it's not a straw man.You are seemingly not accepting of human diversity. You are claiming - as many experts once did before actually studying the phenomenon seriously - that homosexuality is a mental dysfunction. Homosexuality is VERY well documented as a natural variation, not only in humans but numerous other species. This is completely undeniable.
Robert66

Post by Robert66 »

Happy Pride Month indeed, and please accept on behalf of philosophy club this most fruity offering, the thread you are now reading. Not sure if sugar coating Father Mulcahy's pink phucking sock is really necessary, but who's to say what might float any particular boat.
Windbag
New Trial Member

Post by Windbag »

Personally, I'm totally OUTRAGED by the LGBTQ movement.

Speaking as the President of the local chapter of the International Association Of Sexually Boring People I wish to make clear that, even though we are by far the largest group of sexually active people, we've been totally left out of the LGBTQ movement. Not only that, they gave our letter "B" to somebody else!!!

Well, yes, it's true that most sexually boring people are still in the closet due to widespread social rejection and stigma, but that's no excuse to pretend that we don't exist. Let's face it, you know for a fact that we exist, because you are probably one of us!

The oppression of sexually boring people is widespread. As example, none of the hot Hollywood starlets will date me for no reason other than that I'm sexually boring. This is BLATANT DISCRIMINATION!!!

LGBTQ is a total scam, a cynical cultural takeover by a relatively small group of people who are only too willing to oppress the largest group of sexually active people in the world, the sexually boring.
Robert66

Post by Robert66 »

On the subject of boat-floating, a handy reference list. (You might find a new descriptor for yourself or a friend - are you, or do you know, a frotteur? Or a katoptronophile?) :

Acrotomophilia: Arousal to amputees

Actirasty: Arousal to the sun’s rays

Agalmatophilia: Arousal to statues

Anasteemaphilia: Arousal to a person of extreme stature, either giant or dwarf

Apotemnophilia: Arousal to oneself as an amputee

Autogynephilia: Arousal to oneself [male only] in the form of a woman

Autoplushophilia: Arousal to oneself dressed as a giant cartoon-like stuffed animal

Chasmophilia: Arousal to caverns, crevices, and valleys

Climacophilia: Arousal to falling down stairs

Coprophilia: Arousal to feces

Ephebophilia: Arousal to older adolescents, approx. 15-19

Exhibitionism: Arousal to displaying one’s sexual organs in public

Fetishism: Arousal to objects that have been in physical contact with desired person

Formicophilia: Arousal to insects

Frotteurism: Arousal to touching a stranger surreptitiously in a crowded place

Gerontophilia: Arousal to the elderly

Hebephilia: Arousal to pubescent aged children, approx. 11-14

Katoptronophilia: Arousal to sex in front of mirrors

Knismolagnia: Arousal to being tickled

Lithophilia: Arousal to stone and gravel

Masochism: Arousal to experiencing physical and psychological pain

Melissaphilia: Arousal to bees and wasps

Nasolingus: Arousal to sucking on a person’s nose

Nebulophilia: Arousal to fog

Necrophilia: Arousal to corpses

Objectophilia: Arousal to a particular object, distinct from fetishism

Partialism: Arousal to a body part other than the reproductive organs, e.g., calves

Pedophilia: Arousal to prepubescent children

Podophilia: Arousal to feet

Psellismophilia: Arousal to stuttering

Psychrophilia: Arousal to being cold and watching others who are cold

Pteronphilia: Arousal to being tickled by feathers

Pubephilia: Arousal to pubic hair

Pygophilia: Arousal to buttocks

Sadism: Arousal to causing physical and psychological pain

Savantophilia: Arousal to the cognitively impaired or developmentally delayed

Stygiophilia: Arousal to the thought of hellfire and damnation

Teleiophilia: Arousal to reproductive-aged adults

Teratophilia: Arousal to the congenitally deformed

Titillagnia: Arousal to tickling other people

Transvestic Fetishism: Arousal to female garments touching the male’s skin

Urophilia: Arousal to urine or urinating others

Vorarephilia: Arousal to eating another person’s body parts

Voyeurism: Arousal to spying on others for sexual gratification

Xylophilia: Arousal to wood

Zoophilia: Arousal to nonhuman animals

(From PERV: The Sexual Deviant in All of Us by Jesse Bering, published in October 2013 by Scientific American/ Farrar, Straus and Giroux, LLC. Copyright © 2013 by Jesse Bering.)

So just celebrate all year round your joy to be alive and not suffering from stygiophylia, or worse, engaging in an act of nasolingus, or indeed just about any on the list above (though I would in the right circumstances admit to more than one or two items - then again, doesn't it all hinge on what is meant, exactly, by "arousal"?) So spare a thought for the autoplushophile exhibitionists, the knismolagniacs, the psychrophiliacs, and xylophiles, while you get on with whatever you are up to, which may or may not be recognised, and may not be currently listed. It may never have been named, whatever it is you do to get turned on, however this is unlikely given all we have learned from the ancient scrolls and books. Didn't the Romans do some kinky stuff which would make even (most) royal families blush?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Robert66 wrote:Happy Pride Month indeed, and please accept on behalf of philosophy club this most fruity offering, the thread you are now reading.
I'd call it more schmaltzy than fruity. Obviously, speaking as a standard issue western secular socially liberal type, I applaud the sentiment of the topic. But I always find that schmaltz makes me a bit queasy. A bit too "have you hugged your child today?" bumper sticker. But that's my problem, not the OP's, and I'm working through it.
Xylophilia: Arousal to wood
That's me. It's not a sexual thing, but I love wood, and making stuff out of it. (I literally mean wood, not a euphemistic word for an erection.)
Robert66

Post by Robert66 »

Steve3007 wrote: June 28th, 2021, 7:30 am '... speaking as a standard issue western secular socially liberal type'
You are not fooling anyone, you smooth-talking Lothario!

Wood, indeed! Expect us to believe that?

Seriously though I am also a (Platonic) xylophile. I do get excited planing Australian Red Cedar - how could anyone not?
Astro Cat
Favorite Philosopher: Bernard dEspagnat

Post by Astro Cat »

MAYA EL wrote: June 13th, 2021, 12:40 am I shouldn't know your sexual preference unless im looking for a person to phuck and if im not looking to phuck then we shouldn't ever talk about your sex preference

But for some reason the situation the world seems to be in at the moment which is a perspective that confused or sexually traumatised people that have developed a neurosis demand that the world openly expresses some form of public acceptance for there condition is just ridiculous.

I don't think it's a "sin" i think it's a defect because the person cannot reproduce so long as there "preference" is available and in the animal kingdom if there is a defect that's detrimental to the species it will typically have trouble reproducing so to not kill out the entire species . so if you like the same sex or not it didn't matter keep it to your self .
Yikes. So, there are a lot of reasons you might pick up on someone's sexual preference that are entirely outside of making sexual advances.

For instance, I could hold my girlfriend's hand. Or simply shoot her an affectionate look. Heterosexual couples do this all the time without being accused of shoving their sexual lives in everyone's face. They're simple acts of affection. (Overt displays of affection can be tacky at extremes, sure, but that's true for anyone, isn't it?)

Or maybe during a conversation I might bring up something funny that "my girlfriend" did -- you know, like heterosexual couples mention their significant others. Maybe if I'm at work I'd display a framed picture of my wife, should that ever happen.

Listen, nobody's out to shove orientation in your face. We're just living our lives. The reason Pride is a thing is because of the abuse we suffer and we have to remind ourselves that there's a whole community out there for us where we're safe. Pride isn't for you. You don't have to worry about it. It's for us. Just carry on with your day.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."
--Richard Feynman
MAYA EL

Post by MAYA EL »

Astro Cat wrote: June 18th, 2022, 6:15 am
MAYA EL wrote: June 13th, 2021, 12:40 am I shouldn't know your sexual preference unless im looking for a person to phuck and if im not looking to phuck then we shouldn't ever talk about your sex preference

But for some reason the situation the world seems to be in at the moment which is a perspective that confused or sexually traumatised people that have developed a neurosis demand that the world openly expresses some form of public acceptance for there condition is just ridiculous.

I don't think it's a "sin" i think it's a defect because the person cannot reproduce so long as there "preference" is available and in the animal kingdom if there is a defect that's detrimental to the species it will typically have trouble reproducing so to not kill out the entire species . so if you like the same sex or not it didn't matter keep it to your self .
Yikes. So, there are a lot of reasons you might pick up on someone's sexual preference that are entirely outside of making sexual advances.

For instance, I could hold my girlfriend's hand. Or simply shoot her an affectionate look. Heterosexual couples do this all the time without being accused of shoving their sexual lives in everyone's face. They're simple acts of affection. (Overt displays of affection can be tacky at extremes, sure, but that's true for anyone, isn't it?)

Or maybe during a conversation I might bring up something funny that "my girlfriend" did -- you know, like heterosexual couples mention their significant others. Maybe if I'm at work I'd display a framed picture of my wife, should that ever happen.

Listen, nobody's out to shove orientation in your face. We're just living our lives. The reason Pride is a thing is because of the abuse we suffer and we have to remind ourselves that there's a whole community out there for us where we're safe. Pride isn't for you. You don't have to worry about it. It's for us. Just carry on with your day.
Those things you stated about your girlfriend are perfectly normal however they don't apply to the topic at hand because you're talking about flirting with your significant other I'm talking about a group outwardly expressing that everybody should accept them for the way they are. I mean you don't see a straight couples pride month do you? And you don't see straight people going around trying to force everybody to accept them for being straight do you?

The bottom line is anything that deviates from the natural progression of organic life I.e heterosexual relationships is going to be viewed as different and anything that's good is different tends to be held at arm's distance because it's different and it won't be accepted just like non different things are because they're different now if you choose to be different that's fine except the fact that being different means you're treated different and if the thing you decide to do or believe deviates from the normal biological way of things then accept the fact that it's going to be treated as if it is different than the normal biological way of things but this equality mindset is a non-realistic standard.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

MAYA EL wrote: August 16th, 2022, 5:14 am

Those things you stated about your girlfriend are perfectly normal however they don't apply to the topic at hand because you're talking about flirting with your significant other I'm talking about a group outwardly expressing that everybody should accept them for the way they are. I mean you don't see a straight couples pride month do you? And you don't see straight people going around trying to force everybody to accept them for being straight do you?

The bottom line is anything that deviates from the natural progression of organic life I.e heterosexual relationships is going to be viewed as different and anything that's good is different tends to be held at arm's distance because it's different and it won't be accepted just like non different things are because they're different now if you choose to be different that's fine except the fact that being different means you're treated different and if the thing you decide to do or believe deviates from the normal biological way of things then accept the fact that it's going to be treated as if it is different than the normal biological way of things but this equality mindset is a non-realistic standard.
Uummm... every month is straight couples pride month.
"As usual... it depends."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

LuckyR wrote: August 16th, 2022, 6:59 pmUummm... every month is straight couples pride month.
:lol: True!

Maybe we should start a charity to support needy billionaires? Oops, I forgot that a tycoon charity already exists. It's called consolidated revenue.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

It's because of peeps like you that Pride exists Maya. So.... thanks! :)
MAYA EL

Post by MAYA EL »

Gertie wrote: August 17th, 2022, 6:52 pm

It's because of peeps like you that Pride exists Maya. So.... thanks! :)

And it's because of people like you that are the reason monkey pox is a problem in America and that's the cdc's opinion not mine so don't shoot the messenger
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

There's always one.

Bottom line, humans are diverse. Some cannot accept that, and expect everyone to be like them. This is a naive view. Humans are colonial organisms. Large colonies require division of labour, and that requires pluralism. That is, diversity.

It's easy to see the advantage in colonies, or even smaller groups, to have a proportion of the population who do not reproduce. They perform tasks that couples cannot do because they are focused on family life. The elderly (formerly reproductive) also help in this regard.

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream