OMFG and FFFS!!! What don't people get about More Guns = More Death by Gunshot?

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: OMFG and FFFS!!! What don't people get about More Guns = More Death by Gunshot?

Post by Sy Borg »

-TheLastAmerican wrote: August 21st, 2021, 7:27 pm300-million Americans own more that 300-million firearms - some even own machine guns, 100% legally. If there was anything to fear about 300-million law abiding citizens owning guns, it would already have happened.
And it has, and the deaths continue to mount: https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... -shootings
For decades, American school shootings have driven a booming school security industry. Last year’s school shooting in Parkland, Florida, which left 17 people dead, has helped expand the market for products that allow schools to monitor what students are doing on their computers for signs of violence or self-harm. Tech companies are now offering a range of products that help schools track the websites kids are visiting and the searches they are making; that monitor everything students are writing in school emails, chats and shared documents; or that even attempt to track what students are posting on their public social media accounts.
In terms of gun deaths per country, the US is in the company of Mexico, Paraguay, South Africa, the Philippines, Colombia, Guatemala and El Salvador. https://worldpopulationreview.com/count ... by-country

This has happened due to a rule that made sense at the time, when the nation had just thrown off an oppressor. The amendment should have been adjusted to reflect modern technology. However, thanks to the lobbying and connections of the arms industry, rules are maintained so as to maximise their profits.

Then the media affiliated with the arms industry pushes to little people to fight for their profits by framing the Amendment as protecting democracy. The irony is that gun advocates' preferred candidate recently tried to kill off American democracy, and they continue to support him.

The gun debate is not in any way about defending democracy - that much has been made clear. Yet people persist is spreading this myth, as though 2020 didn't happen.
-TheLastAmerican
Favorite Philosopher: Myself

Re: OMFG and FFFS!!! What don't people get about More Guns = More Death by Gunshot?

Post by -TheLastAmerican »

Sy Borg wrote: August 21st, 2021, 11:31 pm However, thanks to the lobbying and connections of the arms industry, rules are maintained so as to maximise their profits.

Then the media affiliated with the arms industry pushes to little people to fight for their profits by framing the Amendment as protecting democracy. The irony is that gun advocates' preferred candidate recently tried to kill off American democracy, and they continue to support him.

The gun debate is not in any way about defending democracy - that much has been made clear. Yet people persist is spreading this myth, as though 2020 didn't happen.
So, A., otherwise "intelligent" people have been unable to formulate a winning argument that can overcome a marketing strategy, and

B. "little people" are too stupid to submit your wisdom?

This disgusting arrogance is why 300-million law abiding citizens are not only ignoring you, but do not trust you, in my humble opinion. When you make people that you disagree with, your inferior enemy, you shouldn't be surprised when the see you as their despotic enemy.
Only the worst of humanity rises to the top - Myself
Stoicism is the wisdom of madness, and cynicism the madness of wisdom - Bergen Evans
-TheLastAmerican

If you are unable to convince little people of the virtue of your argument, you are no better than the people that believed it was virtuous to enslave African Humans like they were livestock, or that believe it was virtuous to annihilate Native Americans that wee too stupid to submit to having their land taken and their culture wiped out, in my humble opinion.
Stoicism is the wisdom of madness, and cynicism the madness of wisdom - Bergen Evans
-TheLastAmerican

When I read Summa Theologica by Aquinas so many years ago, it was what inspired my interest in philosophy.

Not once in the entire read did Aquinas accuse anyone that might disagree with him, of being too stupid to comprehend his infinite superiority...

Get it?
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

-TheLastAmerican wrote: August 21st, 2021, 11:24 am Thus insuring that we will never be ruled by anything as antiquated and obscene as a Queen, or King.
Pattern-chaser wrote: August 21st, 2021, 11:36 am No, your votes do that.

P.S. We Brits have not been ruled by our figurehead-Queen (or -King) for many centuries. We have an elected body that governs, as you do. Many other modern monarchies are the same.
-TheLastAmerican wrote: August 21st, 2021, 11:41 am So, the Queen, is just make-believe for you subjects, to keep you humble?

Never forget that is was English subjects that brought the ownership of African humans to the Americas - and England colonized and subjugated more more 'uncivilized colored people' than any nation on Earth - to take their natural resources.

Such paragons of humanity!
My country is just as 💩 as yours; attacking us has no effect on what I'm saying, and it does not offend or provoke me. Our saving grace, in this topic, is that guns are quite well controlled, and not widely available.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

-TheLastAmerican wrote: August 21st, 2021, 7:27 pm 300-million Americans own more that 300-million firearms - some even own machine guns, 100% legally. If there was anything to fear about 300-million law abiding citizens owning guns, it would already have happened.
Hasn’t it?
-TheLastAmerican

AverageBozo wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 8:49 am
-TheLastAmerican wrote: August 21st, 2021, 7:27 pm 300-million Americans own more that 300-million firearms - some even own machine guns, 100% legally. If there was anything to fear about 300-million law abiding citizens owning guns, it would already have happened.
Hasn’t it?
By default, not one single Law Abiding Citizen has shot up any schoolyards - those folks were obviously insane mental cases (excuse me - persons that have mental problems), one of whom acquired his firearm from his equally insane mental case mother (excuse me - person that has mental problems), all of whom should have been locked-up long ago, at Taxpayer's expense...

I am getting tired of being accused of being a little person, or a member of a militia, or of watching Red Dawn, or of being too stupid to comprehend absurdly inadequate arguments, in response to valid observations like the one I just made.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

-TheLastAmerican wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 9:09 am By default, not one single Law Abiding Citizen has shot up any schoolyards - those folks were obviously persons that have mental problems
Now you seek to differentiate the many people who own guns, but are unlikely to do anything unlawful with them, and those who own guns and are likely to act unlawfully. The trouble with this is that telling the difference is next-to-impossible. So we are left with the inescapable factual statement that forms the title of this topic: more guns = more death by gunshot. Better still: fewer guns = less death by gunshot. And the best of all: no guns = no death by gunshot. You are willing to accept death by gunshot to retain your personal armoury. Many feel this attitude is mistaken, including me.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
-TheLastAmerican

Pattern-chaser wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 9:35 am
-TheLastAmerican wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 9:09 am By default, not one single Law Abiding Citizen has shot up any schoolyards - those folks were obviously persons that have mental problems
Now you seek to differentiate the many people who own guns, but are unlikely to do anything unlawful with them, and those who own guns and are likely to act unlawfully. The trouble with this is that telling the difference is next-to-impossible. So we are left with the inescapable factual statement that forms the title of this topic: more guns = more death by gunshot. Better still: fewer guns = less death by gunshot. And the best of all: no guns = no death by gunshot. You are willing to accept death by gunshot to retain your personal armoury. Many feel this attitude is mistaken, including me.
My personal armory... Ad hominem - Fallacious argumentative strategy that avoids genuine discussion of the topic by instead attacking the character, motive etc. of the person(s) associated with the argument
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

-TheLastAmerican wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 10:02 am My personal armory... Ad hominem - Fallacious argumentative strategy that avoids genuine discussion of the topic by instead attacking the character, motive etc. of the person(s) associated with the argument
Not at all. I simply comment on your stance that unconstrained gun ownership is a Good Thing. I am addressing your message, not you, the messenger. So this is not ad hominem but the opposite, as it should be.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

-TheLastAmerican wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 10:02 am Fallacious argumentative strategy that avoids genuine discussion of the topic...
OK, the topic is: What don't people get about "More Guns = More Death by Gunshot"?

What don't you get?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
-TheLastAmerican

Pattern-chaser wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 10:20 am
-TheLastAmerican wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 10:02 am Fallacious argumentative strategy that avoids genuine discussion of the topic...
OK, the topic is: What don't people get about "More Guns = More Death by Gunshot"?

What don't you get?
LESS/no respect for other people, their opinions, their beliefs, their Rights, especially their Right to life (not referring to the abortion issue), combined with the destruction of the nuclear family, and the pandemic of single-female-parent-households that lack strong moral male figures to train their children what being a moral person actually is, is the root of the increase of violence and homicide in all societies, in my humble opinion.

What is the basis for this opinion? Simple observation of the degradation of communities controlled by progressive liberals, over time.
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

-TheLastAmerican wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 9:09 am
AverageBozo wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 8:49 am
Hasn’t it?
By default, not one single Law Abiding Citizen has shot up any schoolyards - those folks were obviously insane mental cases (excuse me - persons that have mental problems), one of whom acquired his firearm from his equally insane mental case mother (excuse me - person that has mental problems), all of whom should have been locked-up long ago, at Taxpayer's expense...
Weren’t those shooters law-abiding citizens prior to the moment they committed mass murder?

Or is (mental) illness a crime?
-TheLastAmerican wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 9:09 am I am getting tired of being accused of being a little person, or a member of a militia, or of watching Red Dawn, or of being too stupid to comprehend absurdly inadequate arguments, in response to valid observations like the one I just made.
I am accusing you of nothing. Perhaps you are too sensitive for dispassionate argument.

Your opinion that not one single law-abiding citizen has been a shooter at a schoolyard is not a valid observation. As I have indicated, prior to committing murder any of these shooters could have been obeying the law.
-TheLastAmerican

AverageBozo wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 10:51 am Weren’t those shooters law-abiding citizens prior to the moment they committed mass murder?
Absolutely not. The Sandy Hook shooter had a clear history of mental illness - I am not going to waste time or space citing the batman killer in Aurora Colorado etc., etc., etc., all of whom were clearly mentally ill before committing their atrocities.
AverageBozo wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 10:51 am Or is (mental) illness a crime?
Not according to liberal progressive policies wherein it is illegal to even question the stability of a mentally ill person, much less void their right(s) temporarily or permanently, thus leaving communities at the mercy of the mentally ill and thereafter arguing to revoke the Rights of law abiding Citizens in retaliation for the failed philosophy.
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

I meant to ask, “Weren’t any of those shooters…?”

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream