Females in philosophy

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
JackDaydream

Re: Females in philosophy

Post by JackDaydream »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 21st, 2022, 9:43 am I have recently been trying to get to grips with Hannah Arendt, and with Iris Murdoch too. Jack Daydream is responsible for both, I think. ;) I've said here before that I don't focus on philosophers, but only on their ideas. This is still true. But male supremacy remains a cancer in our societies, and this is something we all should be concerned about, IMO.
There are a number of female philosophers, including Simone de Beauvoir and Mary Midgely. I am surprised there are not more in the twentieth first century. I think that the ratio of females on the site is greater than on TPF and a couple of the moderators here are women. I don't know why philosophy doesn't seem to attract as many women, especially as feminism is related to philosophy. Perhaps, what may put women off is the way in which philosophy has been male dominated historically.
psyreporter

Post by psyreporter »

Astro Cat wrote: June 19th, 2022, 4:28 am
LuckyR wrote: June 19th, 2022, 2:08 am I can understand the short term "advantage" of specializing in feminist philosophy, to try to emphasize a viewpoint that is underrepresented. However, in the long term, participating in the mainstream with a minority view, does more to normalize that view, than retreating to an enclave of like-minded individuals.
Yeah, I agree; though I do think there is a place for feminist philosophy (not that you’re saying there isn’t). I get that the problem is ratio. But I also get why women would be interested in it. I haven’t really said a lot here, have I? Lol! ^_^
Perhaps it is also important to not forget the 🪙 financial / career side of it. It is very difficult for philosophy 🎓 graduates to find a job, at least according a conversation about it on the podcast Partially Examined Life.

The hosts of the podcast became philosophy professors and mentioned that philosophy students do not have an outlook on finding a job easily, which could be scary for some. One of the hosts mentioned that he could have chosen to study business but that he decided to study philosophy because he never cared about money.

The number job category for philosophy students is business (18.1% of students).

Women who choose to dedicate to feminist philosophy can more easily find a job in politics and as it seems many women who study philosophy seek a career in politics. This may help to explain it.
PsyReporter.com | “If life were to be good as it was, there would be no reason to exist.”
snt

Post by snt »

A category in which females may be able to make a difference is metaphysics, morality and a deeper philosophy that explores a world of significance that lays beyond logic and knowledge. That world is currently unexplored and philosophy and metaphysics have been suppressed in the past centuries in favour of 'the repeatable world' (i.e. science).

Following the discussion Theism: Not the Foundation of Logic (TAG defeater) by Astro Cat and the topic Logical Limitation of the Logic it became clear that a complete 'other' world is for the most part unexplored and that it demands exploration.

To consider venturing beyond the limit of logic and knowledge, one should start with the motivating consideration: "is usefulness within a human perspective all that can be relevant for existence (Being)?". Surely, the foundation of existence (Being) cannot be itself, thus there one discovers a big door to an other world that demands exploration.

A door to 'beyond logic and knowledge'
A door to 'beyond logic and knowledge'

Chinese philosopher Laozi (Lao Tzu) has attempted it in book Tao Te Ching. The book is written as a poem starts with the following:

"The tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao. The name that can be named is not the eternal Name."

An expert on the book mentioned the following: "Logic has its place in human affairs, but it isn’t everything. There is a limit to what we can understand through rationality and reasoning. To transcend that limit, we need to fully engage the intuition."

What is the meaning of an insight that logic would attempt to unlock (an insight into the origin of reason itself) when the insight that it unlocks cannot be said?

One could enter the field of poetry that attempts to use language to transfer insight into experience that would then need to function as an addition to supplement logical reasoning to provide it with a ground to venture beyond the limit of its own origin.

The French philosopher Emmanuel Levinas - an icon of Western philosophy that is researched by dedicated scholars today - addresses the significance of a world beyond Being in his concept The duality of Saying and Said. Levinas shows that one is to pursue a quest for a meaning that precedes knowledge, i.e. a meaning that precedes useful meaning.

Levinas commentator Giuseppe Lissa provides the following description of Levinas’ project Otherwise than Being (his latest work):

By investigating the depths of consciousness, by comparing its passivity to the process of ageing, Levinas investigates a "reality unknowable, but perhaps interpretable by a thinking that no longer claims to be an exercise in knowledge … because this thinking is engaged in the search for a meaning that precedes all knowledge."

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/levinas/

Episode 145: Emmanuel Levinas: Why Be Ethical?
https://partiallyexaminedlife.com/2016/ ... 1-levinas/

Levinas his work is primary focussed on ethics in human relations. There may be a lot more interests for which exploration of that other world might be of vital importance.

Venturing beyond the limit of logic may provide valuable philosophical plausible insights that can then be used to innovate (advance) in useful reality. (i.e. it can provide a foundation or clues to 'think out of the box'). The venture would still concern a search for truth, but it's simply not about knowledge.

Women may have unique capabilities, such as access to emotions, social relational insights or spiritual experiences that can unlock access to a world beyond logic and knowledge, which - when done philosophically (i.e. professional) - can unlock important value for humanity.
Astro Cat
Favorite Philosopher: Bernard dEspagnat

Post by Astro Cat »

JackDaydream wrote: June 21st, 2022, 10:32 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 21st, 2022, 9:43 am I have recently been trying to get to grips with Hannah Arendt, and with Iris Murdoch too. Jack Daydream is responsible for both, I think. ;) I've said here before that I don't focus on philosophers, but only on their ideas. This is still true. But male supremacy remains a cancer in our societies, and this is something we all should be concerned about, IMO.
There are a number of female philosophers, including Simone de Beauvoir and Mary Midgely. I am surprised there are not more in the twentieth first century. I think that the ratio of females on the site is greater than on TPF and a couple of the moderators here are women. I don't know why philosophy doesn't seem to attract as many women, especially as feminism is related to philosophy. Perhaps, what may put women off is the way in which philosophy has been male dominated historically.
Out of curiosity, I tried to join TPF and it requires some sort of “invitation code.” I tried emailing the person flagged as top moderator with my credentials, but the email came back invalid despite having the correct listed address. How does one go about getting a code?
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."
--Richard Feynman
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Astro Cat wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 5:21 pm
JackDaydream wrote: June 21st, 2022, 10:32 am
Out of curiosity, I tried to join TPF and it requires some sort of “invitation code.” I tried emailing the person flagged as top moderator with my credentials, but the email came back invalid despite having the correct listed address. How does one go about getting a code?
I joined TFP about 18 months ago and don't think I had to have a code. It may have changed a little because like on this site the initial posts have to be approved by moderators now. I know that when I joined no new members could send messages until they had written about 20 messages.

Anyway, I hope to come across you on TPF as well. I find the combination of the two sites helpful, mainly because there are probably about 30 regular members on this site and about 300 on TFP. I would really like something in between because on this site it can be a case of creating threads and hardly anyone being interested and, on the other, getting too many responses. But, you seem to be getting plenty of responses on your various threads.

On both sites the moderators seem critically aware of aspects of difference,including sexism and racism, as welll as LGBTIQ issues, although the discussions often become heated, and I try to only engage in them minimally because I get so irritated by narrow minded viewpoints about gender and sexuality.
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

JackDaydream wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 7:14 pm
I joined TFP about 18 months ago and don't think I had to have a code. It may have changed a little because like on this site the initial posts have to be approved by moderators now. I know that when I joined no new members could send messages until they had written about 20 messages.

Anyway, I hope to come across you on TPF as well. I find the combination of the two sites helpful, mainly because there are probably about 30 regular members on this site and about 300 on TFP. I would really like something in between because on this site it can be a case of creating threads and hardly anyone being interested and, on the other, getting too many responses. But, you seem to be getting plenty of responses on your various threads.

On both sites the moderators seem critically aware of aspects of difference,including sexism and racism, as welll as LGBTIQ issues, although the discussions often become heated, and I try to only engage in them minimally because I get so irritated by narrow minded viewpoints about gender and sexuality.
TFP will not let me join even to make an introduction or to make my case that I would fit in: it asks for an “invitation code” to create an account at all. I suspect they might have been getting trolled or inundated.

I’m very pleased to hear the mods have a good social awareness! I would love to be able to use both in combination as well for more activity and stimulus. If you come across any pinned threads advising what to do about the invitation code, please let me know.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."
--Richard Feynman
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Astro Cat wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 7:24 pm
JackDaydream wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 7:14 pm

TFP will not let me join even to make an introduction or to make my case that I would fit in: it asks for an “invitation code” to create an account at all. I suspect they might have been getting trolled or inundated.

I’m very pleased to hear the mods have a good social awareness! I would love to be able to use both in combination as well for more activity and stimulus. If you come across any pinned threads advising what to do about the invitation code, please let me know.
I really don't know why you are having problems joining TFP. I think that they are trying to stop former banned members from joining. Perhaps, you should wait and try again in a few days. I remember that when I joined this site it took a few times before my email address would go through. Beyond issues of difference and surveillance it seems that as human beings we live in the age of digital misery, complete with digital bugs and weird idiosyncrasies.
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

JackDaydream wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 7:41 pm I really don't know why you are having problems joining TFP. I think that they are trying to stop former banned members from joining. Perhaps, you should wait and try again in a few days. I remember that when I joined this site it took a few times before my email address would go through. Beyond issues of difference and surveillance it seems that as human beings we live in the age of digital misery, complete with digital bugs and weird idiosyncrasies.
This is what happens if someone that isn't already a member clicks on "Create Account." There is no contact information to appeal for a code and no way to post even in an introductory sense.

If I try just leaving the Invitation Code space blank, it just says "Your invitation code is either invalid or expired."

Basically, it gives a new prospect zero recourse to sign up or even talk to anybody about signing up.
--Richard Feynman
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

I thought maybe the invitation code would be present in a pinned post -- sort of a way to force people to read through the rules and terms of service before being able to sign up. That isn't the case either as I've read all the pinned posts.

It has been a few days already (that forum is actually the first one I attempted to join), so this might be a long term moratorium on new members. Which is unfortunate.

I don't want to ask you to put your neck out for a code, but I will ask that if you just happen to come across information on why they're doing this or how long they'll be doing this, that'd be appreciated. (JackDaydream)
--Richard Feynman
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Astro Cat wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 9:08 pm I thought maybe the invitation code would be present in a pinned post -- sort of a way to force people to read through the rules and terms of service before being able to sign up. That isn't the case either as I've read all the pinned posts.

It has been a few days already (that forum is actually the first one I attempted to join), so this might be a long term moratorium on new members. Which is unfortunate.

I don't want to ask you to put your neck out for a code, but I will ask that if you just happen to come across information on why they're doing this or how long they'll be doing this, that'd be appreciated. (@JackDaydream)
I have sent you a message because joining TFP is a a bit off topic here. You are fairly new to this forum, so to find the message you will see a message notification near the bell symbol.
Jack
psyreporter

Post by psyreporter »

User Terrapin Station, one of the most active users on this forum, was recently banned on TFP and he hasn't been active on this forum or on Philosophy Now forum.

PsyReporter.com | “If life were to be good as it was, there would be no reason to exist.”
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

psyreporter wrote: June 24th, 2022, 3:21 am User @Terrapin Station, one of the most active users on this forum, was recently banned on TFP and he hasn't been active on this forum or on Philosophy Now forum.
I've been looking at the PhilosophyNow forum and I'm unsure if I've ever seen a greater cesspool of misogyny, transphobia, and various other kinds of malicious ignorance. Unsure if I want to have anything to do with that forum as a gay woman.
--Richard Feynman
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Unfortunately, there are some misogynistic and transphobic people on TPF, although the moderators do challenge them. Even here, there are people who are narrow minded and nasty, including what are regarded as trolls. Unfortunately, sites such as these attract all kinds of prejudiced people and it seems that homophobia and transphobia still exist. I am bisexual and get really frustrated. I do challenge certain views at time but it can be hard work.

Best wishes,
Jack
psyreporter

Post by psyreporter »

I shared a post about the founder of that forum a few posts back. I am not certain with regard prejudice on topics. I know that Atla is a very active user on that forum which whom you've communicated on this forum.

There is also a user on this forum that seeks to start a new initiative.

viewtopic.php?p=400270#p400270
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

JackDaydream wrote: June 24th, 2022, 5:07 am Unfortunately, there are some misogynistic and transphobic people on TPF, although the moderators do challenge them. Even here, there are people who are narrow minded and nasty, including what are regarded as trolls. Unfortunately, sites such as these attract all kinds of prejudiced people and it seems that homophobia and transphobia still exist. I am bisexual and get really frustrated. I do challenge certain views at time but it can be hard work.

Best wishes,
Jack
I will still probably join. I, too, will challenge hateful nonsense when I still have the spoons to do it. I just think to myself "I don't want a little baby lesbian (or gay person, or trans person, or nonbinary person, or any LGBTQ+ person) to come across this and find that it hasn't been challenged!"

Same with challenging the misogyny. It can be exhausting. As I'm sure you know, if you challenge that sort of thing too. I appreciate you <3
--Richard Feynman

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream