What Should Not Be So Expensive?

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
GE Morton

Re: What Should Not Be So Expensive?

Post by GE Morton »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 21st, 2022, 4:43 am
AverageBozo wrote: June 20th, 2022, 11:22 am Education is state-supported in many nations already, but should also be cheap or funded by taxes in those places where it is not readily affordable now. A caveat, though—cheaper education may lead to lower salaries for educators, which in turn may contribute to lower quality teachers and a watering-down of the benefits of education.
I was lucky enough to have my education state-funded; no loans. I was appalled when loans were introduced.
Those loans were the primary driver of the higher education cost-spiral of the last 40 years.

https://fee.org/articles/how-government ... -millions/

I paid for mine out of my pocket, and it was easily affordable, even on the "average" salary I was making at the time.
Education benefits all; put the knowledge into the community and let it spread! All education should be funded by the state, which is to say, the tax-payer. IMO.
That depends upon how "all" is distributed. If you mean it collectively ("Alfie's education benefits everyone") your statement is false; if you mean it distributively ("Everyone benefits from his/her education") it is true. Alfie's education does not likely confer any benefit on Bruno, and thus the latter has no obligation to pay for it.
Astro Cat
Favorite Philosopher: Bernard dEspagnat

Post by Astro Cat »

GE Morton wrote: June 21st, 2022, 11:46 am
Those loans were the primary driver of the higher education cost-spiral of the last 40 years.

Why do libertarian think tanks always blame the government for something private entities are doing?

In this case the driving argument is: "If government gives students money, schools will raise their prices. How dare the government?"

Why doesn't anyone in Libertarian-land ever blame the entities actually responsible, the bad actors taking advantage of good faith situations?
GE Morton wrote:I paid for mine out of my pocket, and it was easily affordable, even on the "average" salary I was making at the time.
Most people can't do that anymore. Wages aren't high enough to support themselves for a lot of people, let alone to be able to afford an education.
GE Morton wrote:That depends upon how "all" is distributed. If you mean it collectively ("Alfie's education benefits everyone") your statement is false; if you mean it distributively ("Everyone benefits from his/her education") it is true. Alfie's education does not likely confer any benefit on Bruno, and thus the latter has no obligation to pay for it.
It's true both collectively and distributively. You do benefit from Alfie's education because you live in a society held up by peoples' education. The engineers built the buildings and roads you live on, after all. You go to the doctor when you're sick, assuming you're insured. You might enjoy a film or a book because of fine arts majors.

You can't just declare that you gain nothing from others' education. The fact that you live in a society that [mostly] has rules, aesthetic structures, entertainment, infrastructure, and a social contract all ultimately come from people getting an education. People that don't get a higher education (and that's fine!) often rely on resources from those that did.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."
--Richard Feynman
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Astro Cat wrote: June 21st, 2022, 5:06 pm
GE Morton wrote: June 21st, 2022, 11:46 am

Why do libertarian think tanks always blame the government for something private entities are doing?
Well, first, most students attend public (government-operated), not private, colleges and universities. And costs have increased more in the former than the latter:

"Tuition is increasing across the board at both private and public colleges. U.S. News data shows that over 20 years, tuition at national universities increased by 144% at private colleges, 171% at public colleges for out-of-state students and 211% at public colleges for in-state students, not taking into account inflation."

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-c ... c-colleges

The reason for the increase is the economic adage, "Vendors of any good will charge what the market will bear." There is also the law of supply and demand: the student loans created a huge new demand, which existing schools could not meet. So they lobby for more classrooms, more faculty, more support staff, more raises for both, newer computers and other technology. If the government is willing to pay the bills for all those wish-list items the schools will certainly take advantage of it. They're not concerned with whether the student will be able to repay that debt; they get paid up front. You can trace the cost spirals in health care and housing over the last 40 years to the same cause --- government interference and insertion of $billions into those markets. The 2008 housing crash was the direct result of government guarantees of mortgage loans to sub-prime borrowers, which created a vast new demand, resulting in a housing cost spiral --- and a crash when those borrowers defaulted (as predicted). The political thrust now is for the government to forgive those student loans, thus avoiding the criticism the politicians would sustain if they attempted to collect on those loans when they default.
Why doesn't anyone in Libertarian-land ever blame the entities actually responsible, the bad actors taking advantage of good faith situations?
You're mistaking the desire of politicians to win votes (by delivering free lunches to various constituencies) and thus retain and perhaps expand their power for "good faith."
GE Morton wrote:That depends upon how "all" is distributed. If you mean it collectively ("Alfie's education benefits everyone") your statement is false; if you mean it distributively ("Everyone benefits from his/her education") it is true. Alfie's education does not likely confer any benefit on Bruno, and thus the latter has no obligation to pay for it.
It's true both collectively and distributively. You do benefit from Alfie's education because you live in a society held up by peoples' education. The engineers built the buildings and roads you live on, after all. You go to the doctor when you're sick, assuming you're insured. You might enjoy a film or a book because of fine arts majors.
Sorry, but that argument doesn't work. I do indeed benefit from other people's education. But I pay for the actual benefits I receive from that engineer or doctor or author when I pay them for the services they render for me. The costs to them for their education will be built-in to the prices they charge for their services. I.e., if Dr. Alfie treats me, I will pay a portion of his education costs when I pay his bill. But If I've received no services from Dr. Bruno I owe nothing for his education costs.
Astro Cat
Favorite Philosopher: Bernard dEspagnat

Post by Astro Cat »

GE Morton wrote: June 21st, 2022, 7:46 pm Well, first, most students attend public (government-operated), not private, colleges and universities. And costs have increased more in the former than the latter:

"Tuition is increasing across the board at both private and public colleges. U.S. News data shows that over 20 years, tuition at national universities increased by 144% at private colleges, 171% at public colleges for out-of-state students and 211% at public colleges for in-state students, not taking into account inflation."

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-c ... c-colleges

The reason for the increase is the economic adage, "Vendors of any good will charge what the market will bear." There is also the law of supply and demand: the student loans created a huge new demand, which existing schools could not meet. So they lobby for more classrooms, more faculty, more support staff, more raises for both, newer computers and other technology. If the government is willing to pay the bills for all those wish-list items the schools will certainly take advantage of it. They're not concerned with whether the student will be able to repay that debt; they get paid up front. You can trace the cost spirals in health care and housing over the last 40 years to the same cause --- government interference and insertion of $billions into those markets. The 2008 housing crash was the direct result of government guarantees of mortgage loans to sub-prime borrowers, which created a vast new demand, resulting in a housing cost spiral --- and a crash when those borrowers defaulted (as predicted). The political thrust now is for the government to forgive those student loans, thus avoiding the criticism the politicians would sustain if they attempted to collect on those loans when they default.
Fair enough, I think you've made a good point.
GE Morton wrote:You're mistaking the desire of politicians to win votes (by delivering free lunches to various constituencies) and thus retain and perhaps expand their power for "good faith."
Heh, and another good point. I don't even have an objection to that.
GE Morton wrote:Sorry, but that argument doesn't work. I do indeed benefit from other people's education. But I pay for the actual benefits I receive from that engineer or doctor or author when I pay them for the services they render for me. The costs to them for their education will be built-in to the prices they charge for their services. I.e., if Dr. Alfie treats me, I will pay a portion of his education costs when I pay his bill. But If I've received no services from Dr. Bruno I owe nothing for his education costs.
Would there be enough doctors, engineers, architects, scientists, lawyers, and so on if they weren't able to afford an education, though? You suggest that you pay a portion of the education cost when you directly use a service; but what if there aren't enough people for you to get the service in the first place?

I think you might have a point if someone is able to afford tuition on a part-time job, for instance: if higher education is available for people to be able to afford it themselves (and still have the time to immerse themselves in their studies properly), then there doesn't seem to be a problem.

The problem arises when a part-time job can't sustain an education.

I'm a graduate student right now, my tuition is high enough that I can't afford rent, a vehicle, energy, internet, a phone, etc. alongside 6 credit hours of classes an 3 of research & thesis: I've had to do night work and dip into a few loans along the way. What's the solution to all of this?
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."
--Richard Feynman
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 21st, 2022, 4:43 am
AverageBozo wrote: June 20th, 2022, 11:22 am Education is state-supported in many nations already, but should also be cheap or funded by taxes in those places where it is not readily affordable now. A caveat, though—cheaper education may lead to lower salaries for educators, which in turn may contribute to lower quality teachers and a watering-down of the benefits of education.
I was lucky enough to have my education state-funded; no loans. I was appalled when loans were introduced. Education benefits all; put the knowledge into the community and let it spread! All education should be funded by the state, which is to say, the tax-payer. IMO.
Agreed. There is an overall benefit. Those worried about having their taxes go to educate others will still reap the benefits of a more productive, civil and internationally competitive society. Education is a societal investment. Now, alas, such ideals will have to be put aside while everyone splurges on the military.

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream