What Should Not Be So Expensive?

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Astro Cat
Favorite Philosopher: Bernard dEspagnat

Re: What Should Not Be So Expensive?

Post by Astro Cat »

Astro Cat wrote: June 18th, 2022, 6:04 am Menstrual products. They're often overlooked with charitable giving, they're nearly universally needed, there are more costs associated with menstruation than most people think (painkillers, soiled clothing, other complications [e.g. acne medication for some women]). It costs women thousands of dollars a year during fertile years.

Imagine having $6,000ish taken off of your salary (after taxes!) if you want to keep functioning in society and not have to burrow at home.
I can't edit my post but I wanted to correct this because my brain is tired. The $6,000 figure is a fertile lifetime figure, not a yearly figure. I also shouldn't have said "thousands of dollars a year." As I said, brain tired.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."
--Richard Feynman
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Astro Cat wrote: June 18th, 2022, 6:04 am Menstrual products. They're often overlooked with charitable giving, they're nearly universally needed, there are more costs associated with menstruation than most people think (painkillers, soiled clothing, other complications [e.g. acne medication for some women]). It costs women thousands of dollars a year during fertile years.

Imagine having $6,000ish taken off of your salary (after taxes!) if you want to keep functioning in society and not have to burrow at home.
I have always agreed that, if men had babies, then sanitary products would be universally available, and free. 'Maternity' leave would be mandatory. Any negative effects on career progression, due to time off to raise children, would also be forbidden. And so on. Male supremacy has a lot to answer for, just as all 'supremacies' do, IMO.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 18th, 2022, 6:39 am I have always agreed that, if men had babies, then sanitary products would be universally available, and free. 'Maternity' leave would be mandatory. Any negative effects on career progression, due to time off to raise children, would also be forbidden. And so on. Male supremacy has a lot to answer for, just as all 'supremacies' do, IMO.
Amen.

I will say I'm really proud of my job for giving paternity leave to a couple of coworkers for a full month (speaking of). That's really good in the US. I think paternity leave is really important for men, too.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."
--Richard Feynman
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

True, though it's cheaper than pregnancy...
"As usual... it depends."
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

LuckyR wrote: June 19th, 2022, 2:20 am
Yes, but while we’re at it here, women are often expected to take the brunt of birth control costs (financial costs and — well I don’t know what to call it, cost to our bodies with side effects of things like the pill, complications with IUDs, etc.)

Then there’s the scary direction the USA is taking to attack our reproductive choices: some Republicans have already been signaling some kinds of birth control are on the chopping block. I guess that’s a different issue, though. Scary times to live in :(
--Richard Feynman
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

LuckyR wrote: June 19th, 2022, 2:20 am True, though it's cheaper than pregnancy...
Astro Cat wrote: June 19th, 2022, 4:32 am Yes, but while we’re at it here, women are often expected to take the brunt of birth control costs (financial costs and — well I don’t know what to call it, cost to our bodies with side effects of things like the pill, complications with IUDs, etc.)
I read recently that the risks to a woman having a baby are comparable to those taken by a soldier on a tour in a war-torn country. Not only comparable, but many of the risks are the same risks, with the same degree of severity: death, serious (maybe permanent) injury or disability, PTSD, and so on. At first, I thought this was exaggeration for effect, which is so common. But it turns out it isn't. 😮
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 19th, 2022, 8:25 am
I read recently that the risks to a woman having a baby are comparable to those taken by a soldier on a tour in a war-torn country. Not only comparable, but many of the risks are the same risks, with the same degree of severity: death, serious (maybe permanent) injury or disability, PTSD, and so on. At first, I thought this was exaggeration for effect, which is so common. But it turns out it isn't. 😮
I was skeptical of that, so looked it up. The fatality rate among US soldiers in WWII was 860 combat deaths per 100,000 soldiers serving in combat theaters. The current (2020) maternal fatality rate in the US is 23.8 per 100,000 pregnancies.

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/stude ... ry-numbers

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hestat/ma ... s-2020.htm

It is true that deaths in some combat theaters was much lower. In Iraq and Afghanistan, to date, the combat death rate is 0.27%, compared to 1.8% in WWII.

https://www.military.com/memorial-day/h ... n-war.html

But even that is much higher than the maternal death rate (0.02%).
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Astro Cat wrote: June 19th, 2022, 4:32 am
LuckyR wrote: June 19th, 2022, 2:20 am
Yes, but while we’re at it here, women are often expected to take the brunt of birth control costs (financial costs and — well I don’t know what to call it, cost to our bodies with side effects of things like the pill, complications with IUDs, etc.)

Then there’s the scary direction the USA is taking to attack our reproductive choices: some Republicans have already been signaling some kinds of birth control are on the chopping block. I guess that’s a different issue, though. Scary times to live in :(
Women aren't "expected" to take the responsibility of BC, they want (and should want) to take that responsibility. Imagine a couple hook up, and she says hey put on this condom and he says, nah don't worry I'm on the man Pill, you won't get pregnant.

Besides it is easier (and thus better) to control one egg a month than 1500 sperm per second.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 19th, 2022, 8:25 am
LuckyR wrote: June 19th, 2022, 2:20 am True, though it's cheaper than pregnancy...
Astro Cat wrote: June 19th, 2022, 4:32 am Yes, but while we’re at it here, women are often expected to take the brunt of birth control costs (financial costs and — well I don’t know what to call it, cost to our bodies with side effects of things like the pill, complications with IUDs, etc.)
That's why the most dangerous form of Birth Control is the rhythm method.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 19th, 2022, 8:25 am I read recently that the risks to a woman having a baby are comparable to those taken by a soldier on a tour in a war-torn country. Not only comparable, but many of the risks are the same risks, with the same degree of severity: death, serious (maybe permanent) injury or disability, PTSD, and so on. At first, I thought this was exaggeration for effect, which is so common. But it turns out it isn't. 😮
GE Morton wrote: June 19th, 2022, 1:03 pm I was skeptical of that, so looked it up. The fatality rate among US soldiers in WWII was 860 combat deaths per 100,000 soldiers serving in combat theaters. The current (2020) maternal fatality rate in the US is 23.8 per 100,000 pregnancies.
Apologies. I heard it from a reasonably OK source, but can't find it again to check. Also, the claim I remember was that the risks were comparable to a solider doing a single tour, not a whole war.

Nevertheless, the risks to women having babies is still significantly higher than many of us thought. That point still stands, I think.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 20th, 2022, 8:05 am Also, the claim I remember was that the risks were comparable to a solider doing a single tour, not a whole war.
"solider" -> "soldier" 😊
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

LuckyR wrote: June 20th, 2022, 2:57 am Women aren't "expected" to take the responsibility of BC, they want (and should want) to take that responsibility. Imagine a couple hook up, and she says hey put on this condom and he says, nah don't worry I'm on the man Pill, you won't get pregnant.

Besides it is easier (and thus better) to control one egg a month than 1500 sperm per second.
We are, though. A pack of bc costs like $25-$30, sometimes ~$50 for the uninsured. It’s not really common practice for men to offer to split that cost. An IUD can cost upwards of $1,000. It’s also pretty common for women to buy condoms, too, because of a lot of men that try to get away without using them.

I’m talking in broad social strokes, of course. There are plenty of couples that are smart and equitable about sex.
--Richard Feynman
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

WanderingGaze22 wrote: December 21st, 2021, 3:08 am if you could make something in society not so expensive, what would it be? What would be the ups and downs to doing this? Is there a way to combat the consequences like we are combating the lack of residency worldwide? Share let us know why you would think this needs to be accessible to all of society.
Food, housing and college tuition where applicable.

Food and housing are basic human needs and should be affordable for everyone. On the plus side, the population of humans would be adequately sheltered and sufficiently fed, making individuals secure and perhaps better motivated to succeed at achieving goals for their benefit and perhaps for society at large. On the down side, security of basic needs may lead to widespread laziness.

Education is state-supported in many nations already, but should also be cheap or funded by taxes in those places where it is not readily affordable now. A caveat, though—cheaper education may lead to lower salaries for educators, which in turn may contribute to lower quality teachers and a watering-down of the benefits of education.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

This is a silly question. What sense of "should" is this? Does it mean, "It would be nice if . . ."? Or, "I wish X was less expensive"? Or, "Everyone has some (moral) duty to make X less expensive"?

Obviously it would be nice if, and everyone wishes that, EVERYTHING was less expensive, indeed, that everything was "free." But that will never be the case with anything, except perhaps air. Everything else has some innate cost, in effort, energy, time, to produce; how much of each depending on the technology available. The only way to reduce those is via improved technology. But there are also some extrinsic costs, largely due to impediments and burdens imposed by governments, including the costs imposed by politicians on producers of goods to pay for "free' stuff for their various constituencies.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

AverageBozo wrote: June 20th, 2022, 11:22 am Education is state-supported in many nations already, but should also be cheap or funded by taxes in those places where it is not readily affordable now. A caveat, though—cheaper education may lead to lower salaries for educators, which in turn may contribute to lower quality teachers and a watering-down of the benefits of education.
I was lucky enough to have my education state-funded; no loans. I was appalled when loans were introduced. Education benefits all; put the knowledge into the community and let it spread! All education should be funded by the state, which is to say, the tax-payer. IMO.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream