Random thoughts

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Random thoughts

Post by Sy Borg »

Sometimes random* thoughts occur that have no practical use, but they are interesting. If you have some thoughts you'd like to share, or at least get down in writing, this might be a place for it.

My "random" thought for the day: I've been catching up on history and learning about the Middle Ages. In the mid-1300s the Black Death decimated European populations. The plague caused mass migrations and also freed up much previously-occupied land. The chaos broke the Catholic Church's millennium long stranglehold on societies, resulting in a profound intellectual leap with the Renaissance leading into the modern age.

It seems that the Black Death functioned in much the same way as the Chicxulub asteroid that ended the 200 million-year reign of the dinosaurs and other giant species. This allowed mammals to flourish, which also lead to a profound intellectual leap.

Quite amazing how these great cathartic events occur and play out. It's also food for thought for the future. Might we become the collateral damage for the next great intellectual advance?

* Probably not truly random, but "Chaotic thoughts" does not work :)
JackDaydream

Re: Random thoughts

Post by JackDaydream »

Sy Borg wrote: July 21st, 2022, 4:56 pm Sometimes random* thoughts occur that have no practical use, but they are interesting. If you have some thoughts you'd like to share, or at least get down in writing, this might be a place for it.

My "random" thought for the day: I've been catching up on history and learning about the Middle Ages. In the mid-1300s the Black Death decimated European populations. The plague caused mass migrations and also freed up much previously-occupied land. The chaos broke the Catholic Church's millennium long stranglehold on societies, resulting in a profound intellectual leap with the Renaissance leading into the modern age.

It seems that the Black Death functioned in much the same way as the Chicxulub asteroid that ended the 200 million-year reign of the dinosaurs and other giant species. This allowed mammals to flourish, which also lead to a profound intellectual leap.

Quite amazing how these great cathartic events occur and play out. It's also food for thought for the future. Might we become the collateral damage for the next great intellectual advance?

* Probably not truly random, but "Chaotic thoughts" does not work :)
This seems a good idea for a miscellaneous thread for thoughts which don't seem to fit in anywhere. I admit that I have a lot of chaotic thoughts, which is why I probably create so many threads. I definitely wonder where the human race is going. I find that such questions weave in and out of the thoughts which I have about my own life. Some people seem to be able to switch off thoughts but my brain keeps churning them out like a machine. I find reading as a form of meditation, although it is also a stimulus for thinking..

It will be interesting to see what emerges in this thread, like a notebook for experimentation.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

JackDaydream wrote: July 27th, 2022, 5:12 pmI definitely wonder where the human race is going. I find that such questions weave in and out of the thoughts which I have about my own life.
I look to the past to see what dynamics will repeat. I think parts of humanity will transcend colonies ands integrate to the point of becoming an organism. For a billion or more years, single celled microbes formed ever more integrated colonies that became ever more like a single organism. Then eukaryotic cells emerged, basically bacteria (mitochondria) living within a larger organism. This greatly increased the amount of energy that could be processed, allowing for the building of more complex structures, and the first plants, animals ands fungi emerged.

Humans, meanwhile, are ever more being encapsulated within technologically-connected hubs, ie. homes serviced with plumbing, electricity, internet and, ever more, deliveries of food and resources. As the air heats and pollutes, as crowds build and dangers increase, people will tend to stay at home and connect to the world in an indirect way, via the s̶o̶c̶i̶e̶t̶y̶'̶s̶ ̶n̶e̶r̶v̶o̶u̶s̶ ̶s̶y̶s̶t̶e̶m̶ internet, receiving messages that will inform their decisions.

Given the vast difference between eukaryotes and prokaryotes, it's exciting to think of what may become as humanity aggregates. Alas, we will probably have about as much chance of observing, or even recognising, what we are creating en masse as cells and bacteria recognise our philosophical musings. In fact, such an emergence might not be noticed at all. We could effectively create, and be part of, a giant ultra-sentient organism/s and remain completely oblivious, carrying on with business as usual.
Astro Cat
Favorite Philosopher: Bernard dEspagnat

Post by Astro Cat »

Whenever I stargaze I always look for Cassiopeia because Andromeda is just below and to the right of the "W" in the northern hemisphere, and there's nothing cooler than looking at an entire galaxy with the naked eye (though it works best to use a slightly averted gaze, it should appear as a light splotch).

If it were brighter, it'd appear this large in the sky:

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."
--Richard Feynman
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

I love space stories and educational material, but I am a terrible stargazer. The coolest thing I've seen in the sky (apart from alien motherships) is the ISS zipping past the stars.

I vaguely remember hearing a claim that Andromeda and the Milky Way are already colliding.
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

Sy Borg wrote: July 29th, 2022, 3:41 am I love space stories and educational material, but I am a terrible stargazer. The coolest thing I've seen in the sky (apart from alien motherships) is the ISS zipping past the stars.

I vaguely remember hearing a claim that Andromeda and the Milky Way are already colliding.
I would guess that comes from it being really difficult to define what the “edge” of a galaxy is. It can be a real problem with the object extraction processes we use to pick out galaxies from an image.

My research uses the CANDELS survey using Hubble’s WFC3 (wide field camera), we take the images and just use software to extract the objects. We have to do special work to weed out stars (and some galaxies look pointlike so we have to manually add some of those back in).

Anyway what I was getting at is that we tend to define galaxies by their light profiles (how quickly their light drops off from the center out), so like a really important metric is R50, the radius at which 50% of the galaxy’s light is encircled by the center. We can’t just pick a certain density of dust for instance because that varies wildly and dust extends really far out, way further than you’d think from looking at an image. Same for the dark matter halo.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."
--Richard Feynman
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

I have a mosquito bite right on a butt cheek, which is highly annoying and probably TMI, but this is random thoughts hour.

I used to be intimidated by the math that physics would require, so I actually started my school career in biology. I was going to do something in ecology or parasitology. Mosquitos make me think of Plasmodium falciparum (and other species), the protist that causes malaria.

Except they’re really weird protists called apicomplexans, so called because they have an organelle called an apicoplast which is probably a vestigial chloroplast obtained through secondary endosymbiosis from some kind of red algae (or so it was thought when I was still learning about biology).

Except the apicoplast isn’t quite vestigial, the protists die if something happens to the apicoplast. That’s right, since apicoplasts are basically chloroplasts, you could technically kill these protists with herbicides I guess.

Apicomplexans are some of the most interesting parasites. Aside from Plasmodium, there’s Toxoplasma gondii (that’s the one that makes rats fearlessly approach cats and can live in peoples’ brains) and Cryptosporidium (I just love saying this one’s name).
--Richard Feynman
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Astro Cat wrote: July 30th, 2022, 8:14 am
Sy Borg wrote: July 29th, 2022, 3:41 am I love space stories and educational material, but I am a terrible stargazer. The coolest thing I've seen in the sky (apart from alien motherships) is the ISS zipping past the stars.

I would guess that comes from it being really difficult to define what the “edge” of a galaxy is. It can be a real problem with the object extraction processes we use to pick out galaxies from an image.

My research uses the CANDELS survey using Hubble’s WFC3 (wide field camera), we take the images and just use software to extract the objects. We have to do special work to weed out stars (and some galaxies look pointlike so we have to manually add some of those back in).

Anyway what I was getting at is that we tend to define galaxies by their light profiles (how quickly their light drops off from the center out), so like a really important metric is R50, the radius at which 50% of the galaxy’s light is encircled by the center. We can’t just pick a certain density of dust for instance because that varies wildly and dust extends really far out, way further than you’d think from looking at an image. Same for the dark matter halo.
It all becomes indistinct. Same with the Earth's atmosphere, which is said to be about 100 kms but it apparently extends well past the Moon. https://www.sciencealert.com/earth-s-at ... s-the-moon
The region is called the geocorona, part of an atmospheric layer called the exosphere. It's a tenuous cloud of neutral hydrogen that glows in far-ultraviolet light.

Because it's so thin, it's been hard to measure; previously, its upper limit was thought to be around 200,000 kilometres (124,000 miles) from Earth, because that's the point at which solar radiation pressure would override Earth's gravity.

Well, according to data from the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) co-owned by the European Space Agency and NASA, that limit doesn't even come close. The geocorona, scientists have found, extends out to as much as 630,000 kilometres (391,000 miles).

"The Moon flies through Earth's atmosphere," said physicist Igor Baliukin of Russia's Space Research Institute.

In fact, at an average distance of 384,400 kilometres (238,855 miles), it's almost smack-bang in the middle of it.
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

Sy Borg wrote: July 30th, 2022, 9:20 am

It all becomes indistinct. Same with the Earth's atmosphere, which is said to be about 100 kms but it apparently extends well past the Moon. https://www.sciencealert.com/earth-s-at ... s-the-moon
The region is called the geocorona, part of an atmospheric layer called the exosphere. It's a tenuous cloud of neutral hydrogen that glows in far-ultraviolet light.

Because it's so thin, it's been hard to measure; previously, its upper limit was thought to be around 200,000 kilometres (124,000 miles) from Earth, because that's the point at which solar radiation pressure would override Earth's gravity.

Well, according to data from the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) co-owned by the European Space Agency and NASA, that limit doesn't even come close. The geocorona, scientists have found, extends out to as much as 630,000 kilometres (391,000 miles).

"The Moon flies through Earth's atmosphere," said physicist Igor Baliukin of Russia's Space Research Institute.

In fact, at an average distance of 384,400 kilometres (238,855 miles), it's almost smack-bang in the middle of it.
Very interesting, I was not aware of that. It’s funny how things can be so adjacent to a person’s specialty and still be outside of it, lol.

I have a friend that I’ll call J, he’s on the solid state side of physics. When we get together we talk a lot about the department politics and physics in general, and it’s just funny to me how utterly alien our specialties are to each other.
--Richard Feynman
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Astro Cat wrote: July 30th, 2022, 10:39 pm
Sy Borg wrote: July 30th, 2022, 9:20 am

Very interesting, I was not aware of that. It’s funny how things can be so adjacent to a person’s specialty and still be outside of it, lol.

I have a friend that I’ll call J, he’s on the solid state side of physics. When we get together we talk a lot about the department politics and physics in general, and it’s just funny to me how utterly alien our specialties are to each other.
Still, it's great that there's been an increasing tendency for science silos to compare notes, and even join fields. For instance, geobiology was a rather fringe discipline, and is only gathering popularity is recent times. I think about the difference between the first life form and the population of its non-living peers from which it emerged. I'm guessing biology's "parents" were complex cells whose replication process were almost producing viable, reproducing offspring.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Astro Cat wrote: July 30th, 2022, 10:39 pm I have a friend that I’ll call J, he’s on the solid state side of physics. When we get together, we talk a lot about the department politics and physics in general, and it’s just funny to me how utterly alien our specialities are to each other.
Yes, I remember hearing a radio program on 'brown fat'. It had been thought for years that brown fat existed only in children, until one day a bio-scientist was talking to a pathologist buddy, socially, and mentioned his interest and belief. The pathologist was able to tell him, from his experience of post mortems, that humans of all ages have brown fat, and the 'accepted wisdom' was definitely wrong. Cross-discipline communication — indeed, any communication — often gives us finds that couldn't've happened in another way.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Sy Borg wrote: July 21st, 2022, 4:56 pm Sometimes random* thoughts occur that have no practical use, but they are interesting. If you have some thoughts you'd like to share, or at least get down in writing, this might be a place for it.
What an excellent topic! And what a shame it's hidden away in the Lounge. Surely topics like this are a core part of philosophy? [Yes, such topics are, and should be, only a part of philosophy's "core".]
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

I find I get quite annoyed when I write

"I'm not convinced that X is TRUE",

and it is somehow received to mean this:

"I assert that X is FALSE".

Is this a 'logical fallacy'? If it is, what's its name?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

Sy Borg wrote: July 21st, 2022, 4:56 pm

The Black Death affected Asia as well as Europe. The great Mongol Empire, which stretched fom Korea to Europe to Baghdad had opened up trade routes and lines of communication (an efficient mail system) throughout the known world. The Black Death destroyed these lines of communication and travel because people were reasonably leary of strange travellers bringing the plague with them. The Mongol Empire collapsed.

In Europe, the labor shortage created by so many deaths helped break the feudal system of serfdom, and fueled the rise of guilds and towns. Labor -- especially skilled labor - was in high demand, and thus the power of the workers, peasants and serfs increased. The intellectual rennaisance was influenced by the Crusades and the European contact with Muslim Spain had developed in the High Middle ages (13th century). Norman adventurers conquered Muslim Sicily as well as parts of Spain, and brought troves of knollwedge to Europe. Many of the Classics were translated not from Greek and Latin, but from Arabic (the Arabs had translated them earlier).
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Ecurb wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 12:14 pm
Sy Borg wrote: July 21st, 2022, 4:56 pm

The Black Death affected Asia as well as Europe. The great Mongol Empire, which stretched fom Korea to Europe to Baghdad had opened up trade routes and lines of communication (an efficient mail system) throughout the known world. The Black Death destroyed these lines of communication and travel because people were reasonably leary of strange travellers bringing the plague with them. The Mongol Empire collapsed.

In Europe, the labor shortage created by so many deaths helped break the feudal system of serfdom, and fueled the rise of guilds and towns. Labor -- especially skilled labor - was in high demand, and thus the power of the workers, peasants and serfs increased. The intellectual rennaisance was influenced by the Crusades and the European contact with Muslim Spain had developed in the High Middle ages (13th century). Norman adventurers conquered Muslim Sicily as well as parts of Spain, and brought troves of knollwedge to Europe. Many of the Classics were translated not from Greek and Latin, but from Arabic (the Arabs had translated them earlier).
What happened after the Mongol Empire lost its grip on those regions?

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream