Love actually

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Stoppelmann
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Alan Watts

Love actually

Post by Stoppelmann »

“Love is a set of emotions and behaviors characterized by intimacy, passion, and commitment. It involves care, closeness, protectiveness, attraction, affection, and trust. Love can vary in intensity and can change over time. It is associated with a range of positive emotions, including happiness, excitement, life satisfaction, and euphoria, but it can also result in negative emotions such as jealousy and stress.” Langeslag SJ, van Strien JW. Regulation ... ne.0161087

Well, yes, you can put it that way, but it doesn't really describe the feeling you have, like Dr. Suess: "You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."

I remember how it struck me a long time ago, and I think I was infatuated with her at first, filled with a frothy love and admiration for everything she had, even her quirks and the irregularity of her teeth, and we laughed a lot. We also talked a lot, and although my faulty German amused her, she suggested that we speak English, which appealed to me even more. That was forty-six years ago now, and we still talk a lot, love being together, going on vacation together, but we have also learned to give each other room to breathe, to follow our passion, and we both want to grow old together.

Love is really a feeling that we belong together, but it's not just in intimate relationships, but neighbourhood love is the same thing, just not as intimate. It's when people realise that some kind of bond has grown between them, which can be difficult if you're not able to differentiate and think that it always must be an sexual relationship. It is a feeling that begins to grow when the natural bond with our parents changes and one begins to look outward. Usually, it is when puberty sets in and you have this high when you are with your friends, or with certain friends, or with a boy or girl next door. At this stage, you are usually easily disappointed because you become possessive or circumstances cause you to break up, and you hope for a similar feeling with others. How many girls have I longed for after meeting them, and how many have I disappointed? Do we know?

With time, one tends to look back, and sometimes it is quite involuntarily, with faces and situations appearing in one's thoughts, dreams, situations, places and pictures. These are the moments when occasionally the feeling of guilt arises in me, when I realise that I have disappointed people in the past. I even had the opportunity to tell someone that I had become aware of my unkindness, and they waved it off and said it wasn't that important to them - that hurt. A slap in the face for my presumption and a lesson. We can't just go around hurting people or we'll end up lonely. Fortunately, I have someone, but I know many who have not been able to find that one person again.

What I realised early on, but I didn't have the experience or vocabulary to describe it, was that this sense of belonging was always there. It is there even when a group of colleagues has an understanding that gives them an added identity, a sense of "we," the "us" feeling, and where they experience a kind of flow between them. Group successes are celebrated, and I’ve seen how sometimes it's hard for colleagues to go home when their relationship is faltering. I became jarringly aware of this when I made the mistake of transferring a young girl who worked in our group on weekends to another group. At first, I felt uncomfortable, but her tears made me realise how much she felt she belonged to the group and what a disappointment I had caused.

I had a growing awareness of the fundamental need for love in all of us that is like a receptor for a correspondent effector, and learning that endorphins, a type of neurotransmitter or hormone, produced by the body during pleasurable activities, not only boost your mood, but act on opiate receptors and are the body’s natural pain relievers too, seemed to confirm that. Therefore, as if we didn’t intuitively know it already, love and the many activities associated with love are confirmed by science to be also good for our physical being and is a biological necessity. We are made for love and if we lack the intimate love that we yearn for, we at the very least need the feeling of belonging.

But it was the early encounter with the books of Erich Fromm that made me realise better for the first time, that this bond of love was more than just a sentiment. And following his lead, I discovered many more who were teachers in this respect, especially Christian teachers, who showed me the various expressions of love, which are well documented in the New Testament, such as joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control for example. There are obviously many other examples, and Fromm showed that love is really a verb, something that we do which is an expression of being. If we do not love, something has broken inside.

Today, we tend to ask why I should do things, what is it for, does it have a utilitarian function, and imagination, creativity, the capacity for religious awe, music, dance, poetry, art, love of nature, a moral sense, a sense of humour and the ability to change [our] minds are seen as secondary. The truth is that these are methods of experiencing or enacting love in some form and essential. The utilitarian view is that our activity must be seen to be effective, but a quiet appreciation of what I am doing is existentially more important. Competition has its value in motivating us towards better results, but it is only part of the story, which is why our society is suffering today. Love provides us with meaning, the reason why it is worth it – without it, we lose hope.

The problems with ideologies lie in the fact that most of them do not come from the heart, but start from an invented scenario that has very little to do with our emotional reality and tends to want to change external circumstances without considering the emotional consequences. Love is viewed superficially and critically by many without realizing how important it is, and unfortunately many people have inhibitions about expressing their need. You have to be empathic to feel the need for love in someone, and sometimes when you become aware of it, it is overwhelming. We tend to shy away from such strong emotions, which only makes them more desperate. People who suffer like this feel trapped, cut off, and sometimes they become eccentric, which doesn't help their cause.

If you are wondering why there are so many examples of mental disorders in this day and age, I believe you will find an answer here. People are often unaware that they cannot relate to others, they turn to anonymous sources, even to a perverted infatuation, because the real thing is not available to them, and they themselves contribute to cutting themselves off. During my time as a patient after burnout, I became aware of how many other patients lacked a loving influence and tended to cling to any affection. It was my love of caring for others, whether patients or co-workers, that was denied to me by my employer whose only goal was profit, which caused my burnout. Where love cannot grow and flourish, we become ill.

As Elie Wiesel once said, “The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.” People who respond indifferently to others ensure that passion remains limited, expressed only in endless platitudes, grey faces devoid of emotion, and narcissistic displays on social media, and compassion and empathy for others cannot grow.

The question that keeps coming up is: if evolution is the sole cause of our existence, why is love so important? Is it just an evolution of nurture? I have found that many people who express their love in an exemplary way have a source to which they refer, whether religious or otherwise. Sometimes it's a positive response to a negative experience. Or is it the suggestion by mystics of various traditions that love is the fundamental expression of being, as in our own physical state? No wonder, then, that mystics use a poetry of love to describe their relationship with the divine.

Do you have an explanation of where it comes from?
“Find someone who makes you realise three things:
One, that home is not a place, but a feeling.
Two, that time is not measured by a clock, but by moments.
And three, that heartbeats are not heard, but felt and shared.”
― Abhysheq Shukla

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream