Does the need for financial stability outweigh the importance of meaningful work?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2023 Philosophy Book of the Month, Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness by Chet Shupe
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader

Does the need for financial stability outweigh the importance of meaningful work?

Post by Sushan »

This topic is about the March 2023 Philosophy Book of the Month, Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness by Chet Shupe

We are emotionally invested in money, because we need it to survive, but not in the things we have to do to make it.
(Location 197 - Kindle Version)

While money is essential for survival, it often leads to emotional investment while the means to earn it may not. This creates a tension between our need for financial stability and our lack of emotional investment in the work we do. This raises questions about the relationship between work and meaning, and whether any kind of work can provide fulfillment. Can we reconcile the need for financial stability with the desire for meaningful work?
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Agent Smyth

Re: Does the need for financial stability outweigh the importance of meaningful work?

Post by Agent Smyth »

This topic seems to raise important questions regarding labor, that is how the system sees us, in the modern world. What is work? We should hopefully make some headway with that simple, obvious, and yet quite important query.
Never send a man to do a machine's job. 8)
Sushan

Re: Does the need for financial stability outweigh the importance of meaningful work?

Post by Sushan »

Agent Smyth wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 9:08 am This topic seems to raise important questions regarding labor, that is how the system sees us, in the modern world. What is work? We should hopefully make some headway with that simple, obvious, and yet quite important query.
You're absolutely right. This topic does touch upon crucial questions about the nature of work in today's world and how it relates to our sense of fulfillment and purpose. Work, in its essence, involves the investment of time and effort in various activities to produce goods, provide services, or achieve specific outcomes. However, the significance of work goes beyond its mere definition.

In the modern world, work has become an essential part of our identity and a primary source of social interaction. As such, the quest for meaningful work is not just about financial stability but also about finding personal satisfaction and a sense of purpose.

To reconcile the need for financial stability with the desire for meaningful work, it's essential to consider both intrinsic and extrinsic factors. Intrinsic factors include personal growth, passion, and alignment with one's values, while extrinsic factors involve compensation, job security, and work-life balance. By striving to find a balance between these aspects, individuals can pursue work that provides both financial stability and a sense of purpose.

Furthermore, it's vital to recognize that the concept of meaningful work varies among individuals. What one person finds fulfilling might not hold the same meaning for someone else. As such, an ongoing self-exploration and understanding of personal values, interests, and skills are crucial in the pursuit of meaningful work.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Dalia Chaouaf
Premium Member

Post by Dalia Chaouaf »

This topis is so interesting to me. I have always been a big supporter of "do what you love because you deserve to be happy" over the "choose whatever job pays more because you need to survive".

This was the way I lived when I was younger, but sadly being a grown up changes your view completely. To achieve happiness there are several steps o take: if you want to be happy you need stability to have peace of mind. To have stability in your everyday life, you need to have an income. To have income you need a job. But not any type of work will do, because not everything pays.

In the end, to achieve happiness you need money, and that's the sad truth. That is why 90% of people don't have meaningful jobs, or a kind fo work that makes them happy or helps them make the world a better place.

So yes, I think that the need for financial stability outweighs the importance of meaningful work in this day and age.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Premium Member

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

In many parts of Europe, many people are suffering a cost of living crisis. Energy bills are becoming astronomical and food prices are increasing. Despite the desire to have a meaningful and fulfilling job, the necessity for stability and security for yourself and your family can override this.
I think it is very important to do something meaningful in life but possibly this is not an available option for a lot of people who have no choice but to do anything that pays. Possibly taking hobbies and finding time to do something else that you love is the key to find a balance. Sadly the world we live in does not allow as many choices as we would like.
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Dalia Chaouaf wrote: June 17th, 2023, 5:03 pm This topis is so interesting to me. I have always been a big supporter of "do what you love because you deserve to be happy" over the "choose whatever job pays more because you need to survive".

This was the way I lived when I was younger, but sadly being a grown up changes your view completely. To achieve happiness there are several steps o take: if you want to be happy you need stability to have peace of mind. To have stability in your everyday life, you need to have an income. To have income you need a job. But not any type of work will do, because not everything pays.

In the end, to achieve happiness you need money, and that's the sad truth. That is why 90% of people don't have meaningful jobs, or a kind fo work that makes them happy or helps them make the world a better place.

So yes, I think that the need for financial stability outweighs the importance of meaningful work in this day and age.
I understand where you're coming from, and it's indeed a reality that financial stability often takes precedence in our lives. However, one might argue that the essence of our existence shouldn't be confined to merely surviving or securing financial stability. While financial stability provides us with the necessary means to live comfortably, it doesn't necessarily equate to a fulfilling or meaningful life.

The concept of meaningful work often goes beyond monetary compensation. It involves finding purpose and value in what we do, which often leads to a sense of satisfaction and fulfillment that money can't buy. The pursuit of meaningful work can also contribute to our personal growth, well-being, and happiness, factors that are integral to our overall quality of life.

The challenge, perhaps, is to find a balance between financial stability and meaningful work, recognizing that both aspects are important in their own ways. It's not an easy task, given the practical demands of life, but it could be a worthwhile endeavor in our pursuit of a fulfilling and meaningful life. In a society that frequently equates success with wealth, perhaps it's time we re-evaluate our definitions of success and happiness. Could we imagine a world where the value of work is not solely determined by the income it brings, but also by the fulfillment and purpose it provides?

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Caroline Anne Richmond wrote: June 18th, 2023, 4:45 am In many parts of Europe, many people are suffering a cost of living crisis. Energy bills are becoming astronomical and food prices are increasing. Despite the desire to have a meaningful and fulfilling job, the necessity for stability and security for yourself and your family can override this.
I think it is very important to do something meaningful in life but possibly this is not an available option for a lot of people who have no choice but to do anything that pays. Possibly taking hobbies and finding time to do something else that you love is the key to find a balance. Sadly the world we live in does not allow as many choices as we would like.
I appreciate the reality you've presented, and there's no denying the challenges many people face in trying to balance economic stability with meaningful work. However, I would like to draw your attention to some nuance that might add depth to our discussion.

Firstly, let's consider the phrase "meaningful work." The interpretation of what is 'meaningful' can be highly individual and subjective. For some, meaning may come from helping others or contributing to society, while for others, it may be about self-expression, creativity, or the pursuit of knowledge. It is also not unheard of for some to find meaning in seemingly mundane tasks. That said, our economic structures don't always align with this broad spectrum of what could be considered meaningful work.

Secondly, I believe we should explore more deeply the role of societal structures in shaping the choices available to individuals. For example, a healthy economy should ideally provide opportunities for individuals to engage in meaningful work, but many structural barriers can limit these opportunities. These barriers may include education and skills gaps, lack of access to resources, or societal expectations and biases.

In this context, I came across an interesting perspective from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, which emphasized the importance of ensuring that all steps in the research process are facilitated, even in challenging environments, thereby potentially opening up avenues for meaningful work in difficult-to-reach places and underrepresented life situations. This is just one example of how thoughtful planning and resource allocation can create opportunities for meaningful work even within the constraints of economic necessity​.

Lastly, your point about hobbies and finding time for things one loves is well-taken. The necessity for financial stability should not completely overshadow the importance of seeking joy, fulfillment, and meaning outside of work. This is especially relevant in our current era, where the lines between work and personal life are increasingly blurred.

I hope this provides a fresh perspective and would love to hear your thoughts on these points.

– William James
Nancy004
Premium Member

Post by Nancy004 »

When I was young, I believed that pursuing what I love and finding meaning in my work was the ultimate priority. Money seemed secondary, as long as I was passionate and fulfilled. I took risks, followed my dreams, and prioritized personal satisfaction over financial stability.

However, as I've grown older, I've come to realize the significance of financial stability. While doing what you love is important, the harsh realities of life require a stable income to support oneself and loved ones. Financial stability provides a sense of security, enabling us to meet basic needs, plan for the future, and navigate unexpected challenges.

Finding a balance between meaningful work and financial stability has become a practical consideration. It's about recognizing that financial stability allows for greater freedom and flexibility in pursuing our passions, and it provides a safety net when things don't go as planned. Ultimately, it's about acknowledging that both aspects hold their own importance in leading a fulfilling and secure life.
Mari Inez
Premium Member

Post by Mari Inez »

Oh, I love this question! I think it is an important question to ask, especially for those living in a capitalistic society.

I believe that it is important to find a good balance between work that is meaningful and work that will give you the financial stability you need. This looks different for everyone.

That is all I will say for now, but am glad I found this forum so I can read this book!
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Nancy004 wrote: July 16th, 2023, 2:55 pm When I was young, I believed that pursuing what I love and finding meaning in my work was the ultimate priority. Money seemed secondary, as long as I was passionate and fulfilled. I took risks, followed my dreams, and prioritized personal satisfaction over financial stability.

However, as I've grown older, I've come to realize the significance of financial stability. While doing what you love is important, the harsh realities of life require a stable income to support oneself and loved ones. Financial stability provides a sense of security, enabling us to meet basic needs, plan for the future, and navigate unexpected challenges.

Finding a balance between meaningful work and financial stability has become a practical consideration. It's about recognizing that financial stability allows for greater freedom and flexibility in pursuing our passions, and it provides a safety net when things don't go as planned. Ultimately, it's about acknowledging that both aspects hold their own importance in leading a fulfilling and secure life.
Your reflections provide a valuable perspective on the interplay between meaningful work and financial stability. You've aptly described the evolution of priorities as we navigate through different phases of life, and your observation about the practical consideration of balancing between the two is compelling.

Indeed, financial stability can bring freedom and flexibility, acting as a safety net when our pursuits don't turn out as we planned. At the same time, finding joy and purpose in our work can contribute significantly to our overall well-being and sense of fulfillment.

What I'd like to explore further is whether it is always a trade-off between meaningful work and financial stability. Are there scenarios where both can be achieved? What factors can enable this? Perhaps the answer lies in how we define 'meaningful work.' And how does societal expectation and cultural perspectives shape our view in this regard?

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Mari Inez wrote: July 16th, 2023, 3:46 pm Oh, I love this question! I think it is an important question to ask, especially for those living in a capitalistic society.

I believe that it is important to find a good balance between work that is meaningful and work that will give you the financial stability you need. This looks different for everyone.

That is all I will say for now, but am glad I found this forum so I can read this book!
I'm delighted that you've found this discussion engaging, and I wholeheartedly agree that striking a balance between meaningful work and financial stability is a quest that can take unique forms for each of us.

Your enthusiasm for the topic is contagious, and I'm eager to hear your thoughts as you delve further into the book and the ideas it presents. Perhaps, as we progress, we can explore more about what this balance looks like in different contexts and how various factors, such as societal norms, personal values, and life circumstances, may influence it.

– William James

Return to “Discuss "Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness" by Chet Shupe”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream