[OLD] Philosophy Forums Rules [OLD]

Official website announcements are posted in this forum.

If you have questions, suggestions, or need support or help with anything, please email [email protected].
-1-

Re: Philosophy Forums Rules

Post by -1- »

Logic is not subjective.

Logical speech as judged by one could be judged illogical by another.

The two are incredibly different.

Logical speech or writing takes hypotheses, or axioms, or assumptions, and uses logic to manipulate these assumptions or premisses to arrive at conclusions.

There are two ways of arriving at conclusions: the wrong way and the right way.

The wrong way may include one or both of these things: the assumption was false, or the logic used was not proper.

The right way uses the true assumptions and proper logic.

To illustrate:

Bagelboy is 1345546 feet tall. Therefore Bagelboy is taller than the Eiffel Tower.

Is the conclusion right? No it isn't. The logic involved is proper; but the initial assumption is wrong (Bagelboy is under 9 feet tall).

Bagelboy is between 2 inches and 9 feet tall. Therefore Bagelboy is taller than the Eiffel tower.

Is the conclusion right? No, it isn't. The assumption may be true, but the logic is wrong.

Bagelboy is betwen two inches and 9 feet tall. Therefore Bagelboy is shorter than the Eiffel tower.

Here, the logic is proper, the assumption is true, and the conclusion is right.

Bagelboy is 63937859 feet tall. Therefore Bagelboy is shorter than the Eiffel tower.

Here, the assumption is wrong, the logic is improper, and the conclusion is right, but only by outside knowledge, not because the argument is set up right.

The logic used in the above examples is "if A is X feet tall, and B is Y feet tall, then A is taller than B only if X is a larger number than Y. X and Y can only be positive numbers." There is nothing subjective about this.

Of course you can present an argument NOW to me where the formal logic is subjective. If you are successful, I'll withdraw the statement I have made.

-- Updated 2017 March 15th, 10:33 pm to add the following --

""" but we can construct different logics with different rules. """

However, that would not work with mathematics with its present set of axioms, and it would not work with reality, as we know it.

Sure, make up some different rules, create a different set of logic rules, but as long as you rely on arguments consistently using the same set of rules, the rules are objective. (You said so yourself.)

Using your different logical rules are not subjective, either. USING. Not establishing. I am talking about USING.

You can't get away from objectivity other than with changing the rules.

But nobody has on this forum changed the rules. The violators simply ignore the current set of rules of logic, or don't know how to use them.

-- Updated 2017 March 15th, 10:37 pm to add the following --

Nobody has on this forum changed the rules. The violators simply ignore the current set of rules of logic, or don't know how to use them.

This practice of allowing philosophers to use inappropriate logic must be stopped.

What are we?? Are we philosophers, or are we... not philosophers. The bread-and-butter of philosophy is using logic to argue the validity of a conclusion from a set of premisses.
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

-1-:
Logic is not subjective.
This is not an argumentative section of the forum and so I am not going to argue. I pointed out several things that should be taken into consideration when considering the question of the subjectivity of logic and will add a few more points. If you choose to ignore it that is up to you. To do so is, however, illogical if you fancy yourself a philosopher and in quest of truth and understanding.
""" but we can construct different logics with different rules. """

However, that would not work with mathematics with its present set of axioms, and it would not work with reality, as we know it.
But it does as we see in the case of non-Euclidean geometry. Not only do they work as self-consistent formal systems they are applicable to such things as the curvature of space.
Using your different logical rules are not subjective, either. USING. Not establishing. I am talking about USING.
All uses by human beings are subjective. They are determined by our current status as knowers as well as our intent and purposes.
You can't get away from objectivity other than with changing the rules.
You seem to have missed the point. If you accept that a) we are subjective beings and b) logic does not exist in some Platonic realm then just what objectivity means must be addressed.
But nobody has on this forum changed the rules. The violators simply ignore the current set of rules of logic, or don't know how to use them.
Or perhaps, as you said:
Logical speech as judged by one could be judged illogical by another.
But let’s assume that you are right. Someone made an illogical argument. It happens. If you point it out and they either cannot see it or refuse to acknowledge it, then, as Spiral Out suggested, just let it go.
What are we?? Are we philosophers, or are we... not philosophers.
Personally I do not consider myself a philosopher and it has nothing to do with a lack of academic credentials.
The bread-and-butter of philosophy is using logic to argue the validity of a conclusion from a set of premisses.
As you pointed out earlier, the premises cannot simply be taken as given. Philosophy is much more than an exercise in logic.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Nick_A wrote: Plato spoke of remembrance and Einstein spoke of intuition. Both are the results of awakening to reality hidden by the literal mind.
Fooloso4 wrote: We have been through this before, more than once. I provided specific and sufficient textual evidence that you have misunderstood what Einstein said about intuition and what Plato said about remembrance. And yet here we are once again you repeating the same unsubstantiated claims.

Apparently you think that your comments about the literal mind give you the freedom to simply ignore what Einstein and Plato actually said. Of course this makes it easy to pretend that they are all essentially saying the same thing.

And it gives you another opportunity to once again rant about secularism, the Great Beast, education, indoctrination, experts, etc.
And then you proposed, F4, that my insistence on deciding things by logic is stupid.

Look at your argument now as quoted above. It had been perfectly logical, reasonable, and the only reason you can't enforce it is that logic is not the deciding force de rigeur on this site. People can perfectly well ignore logic, as the example shows. Here you are upset about it. On my thread you perfected the way of trying to prove to not use logic as a presiding instrument.

So which is it, O F4? You can't play for both teams. You can't decry logic and at the same time demand that when you use logical arguments, others heed to it.

Swim and stew in the same lukewarm water you keep creating, F4.

------
Don't get me wrong, I am on the side of logic. I am just befuddled at your hypocritical ways: when you do demand that people heed to logic and reason, it's a righteous demand, when I demand it, you try to prove it that it's a silly demand.

You are two-faced about this, and you know it better than I do.

-- Updated 2017 March 19th, 2:39 am to add the following --
Scott wrote:Our goal is to be the best place on the internet to discuss even the most complicated or controversial topics in a civil, open-minded way free of personal attacks.
I still very much would like to suggest to you, Scott, that since the code name of this forum is philosophy, you add the phrase "logical and reasonable" to the list above, to alter it to be this way:

Our goal is to be the best place on the internet to discuss even the most complicated or controversial topics in a civil, logical, reasonable, and open-minded way free of personal attacks.

I further suggest that all posts that are not intended as humour, and are not logical, and are not reasonable by logically thinking minds, be removed by administrators on demand by the using public of these forums.

Until this change is introduced, a cockaphony of dilettante imbeciles and lunatics will continue, who are going to keep on having incessant arguments about things not philosophical, in ways that are below any thinking person's level who considers himself or herself a philosopher.
Sonny11598
New Trial Member

Post by Sonny11598 »

1. Do you think Plato’s analysis of human nature into three parts – appetitive, spirited, and rational – is still useful? Suggest an occasion or example of when this way of analyzing a person, or groups of people, seems useful. (Note: Plato’s ‘spirited’ is more like physical drive & energy; it is not supernatural or mystical.) 2. What do you think of Plato’s idea that God could be co-eternal with other things? In other words, some things, including God, have been around forever. Besides the Creation story of the Bible, are there any other points about Christian doctrine that would have to be altered in order to accept Plato’s view? What about the ‘dust’ God supposedly used to create? 3. What did Plato think was real? How did he arrive at that conclusion? (Connect it to Socrates.) Do you agree or disagree? If you disagree, what is the flaw in Plato’s reasoning? If you agree, then why is a rock, say, less real? 4. Choose one point of Plato’s political philosophy that you agree with, discuss why, and give an example of how it seems to be true of the world or your experience. Choose one point of Plato’s political philosophy that you disagree with, discuss why, and give an example of how his point seems to not hold of the world or your experience.
Delete request
Sonny11598
New Trial Member

Post by Sonny11598 »

Lionheartnv wrote:How do I start a new post?
Josefina1110

Post by Josefina1110 »

I will quote one of Plato's philosophy but I cannot disagree with it. Here is one: "The first and greatest victory is to conquer yourself" Plato. One of the most difficult thing to conquer about oneself is the desire for "sex". Celibacy is honorable. But one has to do a lot of battle against this natural desire. Any discussion?
-1-

Post by -1- »

Josefina1110 wrote:I will quote one of Plato's philosophy but I cannot disagree with it. Here is one: "The first and greatest victory is to conquer yourself" Plato. One of the most difficult thing to conquer about oneself is the desire for "sex". Celibacy is honorable. But one has to do a lot of battle against this natural desire. Any discussion?
This thread is about the rules of the forum and why to change them and how.

Your input, Josephina, merits a new topic in an appropriate section of the forums. Here it is totally out of place.

You ought to have grown some understanding how things work on this site, by now, you are not new here.

In fact, the proper thing for me ought to have been to report your post as a forum violation, but 1. I don't want to disappoint you without having some educational value in it for you, and 2. the one and only admin that works this site is overworked, if she hasn't bowed out yet altogether of administering. Therefore I was not going to increase her work load, but instead let you know personally why your comment ought not to have appeared here at all.

-- Updated 2017 March 30th, 1:55 am to add the following --
Sonny11598 wrote:
Lionheartnv wrote:How do I start a new post?
Dear Sonny11598 and Dear Lionheartnv, please read the forum rules CAREFULLY and MINDFULLY.

It's all in there.

By asking the question you force others to repeat the forum rules unnecessarily, as the information you seek is already available there.
Josefina1110

Post by Josefina1110 »

Whatever you want to do is ok with me. No problem at all. If I'm rejected to join the group, I will not feel bad or hurt. But I thank you so much for your attention to my post this time. I am sorry I answered that previous post about Plato and I thought I could start a new topic as the one posted above mine was asking how to start. More power to the forum.
Despues18
New Trial Member

Post by Despues18 »

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to post a Question
Woodart

Post by Woodart »

Despues18 wrote:I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to post a Question

What is the question?
-1-

Post by -1- »

Woodart wrote: What is the question?
That's a good question.

-- Updated 2017 June 30th, 8:39 am to add the following --

A greatly accented ad hominem attack had been performed against me personally. I reported it. The rules of the site say "definitely no Ad Hominem attacks." The attack was perpetrated very clandestinely, and in an elaborate fashion, but it did not talk about the issues at hand, it only gave a depiction by irrelevant comparisons why my opinion should be invalidated -- not by reasoning about the topic, but by pointing out that I was not good enough to reason.

The moderator either did not understand the concept of "ad hominem" or the attack was so well put together, that the moderator did not recognize this.

There is no discourse I can take against the issue. Apparently the moderator has closed the doors on my complaint.

This is SOOO not satisfactory, Scott. Do something, please.
Despues18
New Trial Member

Post by Despues18 »

Kittgif wrote:
Spiral Out wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Go into the Forum where the topic listings are and click on NEW TOPIC in the upper left corner, or click on POST REPLY to reply to a previous post. You have to put in a title when posting a new topic.
Thank you very much
sorry, I did but still couldn't find it. Do i not have one because I'm new?

-- Updated July 1st, 2017, 1:48 pm to add the following --

could u tell me where to find the button for new topic...i just cant find it sorry
Brissot
New Trial Member

Post by Brissot »

It says i have to click on preview before is can submit my reply, so i clicked on preview but i still can not submit it.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Brissot wrote:It says i have to click on preview before is can submit my reply, so i clicked on preview but i still can not submit it.
Hard to know what that issue is. I think if one takes some time to edit a component times out and the user will need to click Preview more than once until the machine "intelligence" gets the hint.

Also, new members have a trial period where their posts don't appear until a mod sees it in the queue and clicks the "Approve" button. Sometimes members will re-post several times, thinking their post didn't submit.
-1-

Post by -1- »

The rule of thumb on this site for successful posting is to sound nice, polite, civil; as long as you keep to this, you can post any old theory, whether it makes sense or not, and defend it likewise; logic, intuitive validity, and common sense are optional, and not a necessary part of debating.

Furthermore, you can insult people's intelligence as long as you are somewhat clandestine about it.

Return to “Forum Announcements”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream