Topics Now Require Approval

Official website announcements are posted in this forum.

If you have questions, suggestions, or need support or help with anything, please email [email protected].
Obvious Leo
Favorite Philosopher: Omar Khayyam

Re: Topics Now Require Approval

Post by Obvious Leo »

Reactor wrote:What I have learned from a career in engineering:

1. We work and play in ongoing dynamic time, but all our logic, arithmetic, and machine control is confined to timeless static frames. We can speak of and write about circuit, machine, and animate behavior, but the fundamental operators of ordinary logic can only describe static states, not dynamic activities.

2. Behavior emulation using standard logic is therefore limited to still frames stitched together with clock pulses or many lines of linear-sequential code (software) like a child’s connect-the-dot drawing. That is why there are millions of lines of code in some programs.

3. There is a dynamic alternative to computation for process management. It is truly real time, it is parallel-concurrent, and it reacts immediately to changes. It has 100-times fewer components, is 100-times faster to respond, has little or no run-time software, and it is safer. Control circuits and systems designed and built to this method would be improved and cost less.

I offer to prove the truth of the first two statements (for those who do not already believe them) and demonstrate the truth of the third statement.

Best regards, Reactor

Reactor. We are kin. However when you refer to non-linear dynamic systems theory in a forum such as this you may as well express your thoughts in Zwahili. The place is infested with Newtonians who couldn't see reality if it jumped up and bit them on the ****.

Regards Leo
Reactor
Favorite Philosopher: Wittgenstein

Post by Reactor »

Obvious Leo wrote:
Reactor wrote:What I have learned from a career in engineering:

1. We work and play in ongoing dynamic time, but all our logic, arithmetic, and machine control is confined to timeless static frames. We can speak of and write about circuit, machine, and animate behavior, but the fundamental operators of ordinary logic can only describe static states, not dynamic activities.

2. Behavior emulation using standard logic is therefore limited to still frames stitched together with clock pulses or many lines of linear-sequential code (software) like a child’s connect-the-dot drawing. That is why there are millions of lines of code in some programs.

3. There is a dynamic alternative to computation for process management. It is truly real time, it is parallel-concurrent, and it reacts immediately to changes. It has 100-times fewer components, is 100-times faster to respond, has little or no run-time software, and it is safer. Control circuits and systems designed and built to this method would be improved and cost less.

I offer to prove the truth of the first two statements (for those who do not already believe them) and demonstrate the truth of the third statement.

Best regards, Reactor

Reactor. We are kin. However when you refer to non-linear dynamic systems theory in a forum such as this you may as well express your thoughts in Zwahili. The place is infested with Newtonians who couldn't see reality if it jumped up and bit them on the ****.

Regards Leo

Leo,

Thanks for responding, but I was seeking approval from the forum to begin dialog on this topic.

I am not referring to “non-linear dynamic systems theory,” but a Reactive Algebra of my own invention.

If you are familiar with Allen’s Temporal Intervals (ITL), you probably realize that his temporal relations of occurrence can only be determined in computers by first recording the events of interest as they occur and by subsequently comparing those records or frames against a series of previously-recorded reference frames or typical models or labels—that is, statically—in space. An alternate static method assigns numbers or time-stamps to the beginnings and endings of the intervals as they occur. Arithmetic procedures can then be performed on the resulting sets of intervals’ numbers to determine to which of the thirteen models a given series of happenings is most similar. These and other algorithms can be performed by human reckoning or automatically by computer using standard logic and arithmetic operations. All such static procedures, however, can be performed in typical fashion only after the actual events have occurred, rather than concurrently with the happenings. These static procedures must refer to captive lists of interval models or arithmetic criteria in order to determine to which of the most likely interval relationships a given set of occurrences belong.

In contrast, my reactive algebra can express the relationships of similar interval pairs in symbols, each of which have corresponding hardware logic element arrangements that can identify them in real time, as they happen.

There is a lot of background information I would like to air and discuss before demonstrating the reactive algebra, in the vein of an education on the topic.

Regards, Reactor
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

I'd certainly be interested in reading of your thoughts on this subject because you seem to be on a similar trajectory to my own. However, although my knowledge of linear computation is rather superficial it is adequate to the task of concluding that it can provide no viable model for physical reality because it pre-supposes a creationary algorithm. The theists and Newtonians may wish to hang their hats on such a notion but the contrarian who requires a universe sufficient to its own existence must find his answers in the non-linear world of fractal geometry, evolutionary algorithms and chaotic determinism.

If you open a thread on the subject I'd be happy to join you in an exchange of ideas, but don't set your hopes too high on the quality of dialogue to be found within these pages and prepare yourself for pulpit pronouncements from the dinosaurs.

Regards Leo
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Obvious Leo wrote:I'd certainly be interested in reading of your thoughts on this subject because you seem to be on a similar trajectory to my own. However, although my knowledge of linear computation is rather superficial it is adequate to the task of concluding that it can provide no viable model for physical reality because it pre-supposes a creationary algorithm. The theists and Newtonians may wish to hang their hats on such a notion but the contrarian who requires a universe sufficient to its own existence must find his answers in the non-linear world of fractal geometry, evolutionary algorithms and chaotic determinism.

If you open a thread on the subject I'd be happy to join you in an exchange of ideas, but don't set your hopes too high on the quality of dialogue to be found within these pages and prepare yourself for pulpit pronouncements from the dinosaurs.

Regards Leo
Leo,

Perhaps they meant “subject to approval.” Which means “put it up there and we have the option to prevent it from being seen by the viewers.” That is OK by me.

In any case, I will start a thread on the Philosophy of Science. See you there.

Regards, Reactor
Marsh8472

Post by Marsh8472 »

Couldn't there be something put in to allow topics to be posted instantly for users with a large number of posts, maybe 1000. That way it would reduce backlog while still stopping spammers. Ignore this post if this is already being done :)
Dukedroklar

Post by Dukedroklar »

Curious how long th approval process takes. Submitted one a coupe weeks ago and have yet to get any response.
You're taught to obey... Learn to disobey. You're taught to believe they have the answers... learn to doubt. You're taught meek is good... learn meek is evil. You're taught to be passive... learn to FIGHT!
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Dukedroklar wrote:Curious how long th approval process takes. Submitted one a coupe weeks ago and have yet to get any response.
I'm sure I'm not the only member here who will point-blank refuse to raise a new topic while this offensive censorship restriction remains in place. You'll have to swallow your pride, Scott, and concede that the whole thing was a dumb idea in the first place. We all make mistakes but it's no big deal to admit it and you'll regain some lost respect by doing so.

Regards Leo
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Obvious Leo wrote:I'm sure I'm not the only member here who will point-blank refuse to raise a new topic while this offensive censorship restriction remains in place. You'll have to swallow your pride, Scott, and concede that the whole thing was a dumb idea in the first place. We all make mistakes but it's no big deal to admit it and you'll regain some lost respect by doing so.
I thought the problem with this place was being overrun by over-zealous theists - seeing the same old arguments over and over, the thread derailments, the unsubstantiated assertions made with complete confidence.

If we have a gatekeeper then maybe there can be more balance in the types of topics started and frequented? Seems worth a try to me.

Whatever, the service is free and I'm grateful to Scott for putting up with what are surely not the easiest crew to deal with. Philosophers are probably right up there with lawyers and teachers for degree of difficulty. On the plus side, when you skip the religious stuff, it's still a far better standard of conversation here than at most places on the web.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Greta wrote:
If we have a gatekeeper then maybe there can be more balance in the types of topics started and frequented? Seems worth a try to me.

Whatever, the service is free and I'm grateful to Scott for putting up with what are surely not the easiest crew to deal with. Philosophers are probably right up there with lawyers and teachers for degree of difficulty. On the plus side, when you skip the religious stuff, it's still a far better standard of conversation here than at most places on the web.
Agreed. A couple of the other philosophy forums have trickled down to a minimum of (more trivial) posts due to no filtering and less and less participation. There seems to be a fine line (just like in most things) where too much regulation stifles, and too little allows an abundance of nonsense. Hopefully, we can herein enjoy some "just right."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Reactor wrote:A couple of the other philosophy forums have trickled down to a minimum of (more trivial) posts due to no filtering and less and less participation. There seems to be a fine line (just like in most things) where too much regulation stifles, and too little allows an abundance of nonsense. Hopefully, we can herein enjoy some "just right."
This seems to be a danger with forums - being taken over by single interest groups. I used to be a member of an ethics forum and it was overrun by gun lobbyists. Every thread at some stage came back to guns. Gun threads dominated the board with many pro-gun people piling on. All those interested in general philosophy left and the forum became increasingly simplistic and slanted. Very similar dynamic to here.

It's not the actual topics - be it guns or religion - but the emphasis. There's an entire section devoted to the religious so there's no need for religious discussion to flow freely through the forum daily at the expense of other topics. Filtering is the most logical recourse. In a way, it's a microcosm of society (and management theory) - the balance between regulation and market forces - addressing utilitarian considerations while not stifling inspiration.

-- Updated 08 Dec 2014, 18:08 to add the following --

Re: "Very similar dynamic to here" ... but thankfully this place is less damaged than the other forum at the time I left.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
Spiral Out

Post by Spiral Out »

The decision was made in the interest of improving the quality of the site, and with the intent of making the experience here more fruitful and enjoyable, so the decision to have new topics go through an approval process is an intelligent one.

I've investigated other sites and in my opinion this is the best one around by far. Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful in improving the site even further.

I would recommend offering open ideas rather than closed criticisms.
Dedicated to the fine art of thinking.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Obvious Leo wrote:
Dukedroklar wrote:Curious how long th approval process takes. Submitted one a coupe weeks ago and have yet to get any response.
I'm sure I'm not the only member here who will point-blank refuse to raise a new topic while this offensive censorship restriction remains in place. You'll have to swallow your pride, Scott, and concede that the whole thing was a dumb idea in the first place. We all make mistakes but it's no big deal to admit it and you'll regain some lost respect by doing so.

Regards Leo
When you aren't the club owner, it's easy to criticize the decision of whether or not to put a bouncer at the door rather than deal with rule-breakers who choose to enter your club understanding the rules you publicly put up and then break them in your club and force you to try to go through the labor-intensive and frustrating process of resolving an incident after it occurs and spirals out of control. There are pros and cons. But to only complain about the cons while standing in line is unfair and selfish. If someone wants to pay for the extra hours of labor for the much more labor-intensive task of enforcing the forum rules while not holding new topics for moderation, I am sure we can work that out. Otherwise, let's show more appreciation to the volunteer work being done by the moderation team, and let's consider the effect these policy changes have on not only the quality of the forum but on the work they do. And let's remember the only reason they need to do the work is because some people choose to trespass by entering a club knowing the publicly posted rules of that club and then breaking those rules, like people who insist on smoking in a non-smoking restaurant.

I do wish to note though that the new procedure is not a new form of censorship. The forum rules are still in place. The new procedure simply changes whether your topic is reviewed and deleted/approved before being posted publicly or if your topic is reviewed by the moderation team after being posted publicly and then deleted or let to stand. So the complaints about censorship are quite off-topic. The issue is simply when the topics are reviewed by the moderation team to see if they are rule-breaking or not, not if the topics will be reviewed and not if rule-breaking topics will be deleted.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Scott. I'm not disputing the proposition that the forum is unworkable without rules and neither am I disputing your right to enforce these rules as you see fit. I merely suggest that you're using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut and creating a hell of a lot of work for yourself in the process. I've been hanging around online philosophy forums since the birth of the internet and I've seen it all before. For sure you must eliminate the spammers and nutcases as best you can but in the main topics are usually very well self-regulating. If they're stupid and boring they'll die a natural death. If they divert off-topic it's usually because the original OP was either stupid or boring. However very often the diversion can lead a dialogue into totally uncharted and interesting territory and to stifle this natural process is to miss the point of the whole exercise. If the initiator of the topic abandons it, as often happens, then what difference does it make where it leads? More often than not the initiator is quite content to allow his topic to run its natural course and if it veers too far from his intent then the onus lies with him to put everybody back on track.

This site has the usual mix of thinkers, believers and fruitloops but most appear to respect the thoughts of others even if they disagree with them. It's far to easy to confuse robust criticism with personal attack and it's wrong to believe that your contributors are thin-skinned. Your board warning mechanisms are adequate and as long as you apply them consistently and sparingly no further moderation should be necessary.

Regards Leo
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

For those who seek a forum with self-regulating topics, there are many places on the internet to find such. My goal is to offer something unique. Namely, I seek to provide a place where these specific, unique forum rules are strictly enforced, so it can be an oasis for people who want to have discussions that follow those unique rules. One of the main aspects of that is that topics do not "divert off-topic", with some crucial specific rules for creating new topics designed for that purpose.
I merely suggest that you're using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut and creating a hell of a lot of work for yourself in the process
From over 7 years of administering the forum, it is my experience that poor OPs being posted and replied to prior to my intervention creates a lot more work for me or other moderators. Indeed, the forum rules regarding the standards for new topics evolved over gradual changes from my moderators and I realizing what problems with OPs lead to us having to do more work with the topic later on. More to the point, I can assure you that reviewing new topics to see if they are rule-breaking or not prior to them having replies posted has saved me much time than reviewing the new topics after they have already been posted and replied to. In fact, I am not sure how the latter could possibly save time, since either way the topic has to be reviewed to see if it is rule-breaking or not--the only difference being whether it is publicly visible and can be replied to prior to being reviewed.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Asaya Everson
New Trial Member

Post by Asaya Everson »

when will my introduction be posted, put it up this morning early and it is still not up yet?

Return to “Forum Announcements”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream