The March Philosophy Book of the Month is Final Notice by Van Fleisher. Discuss Final Notice now.

The April Philosophy Book of the Month is The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight. Discuss The Unbound Soul Now

The May Philosophy Book of the Month is Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler.

New Member Tagging Feature

Here is the place for your suggestions, comments, or questions regarding the Philosophy Forums.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Philosopher: Diogenes the Cynic

New Member Tagging Feature

Post by Scott » December 12th, 2015, 9:09 am

You can now tag other members in posts by using the @ symbol. When you a tag a member, by default the member will be sent a PM notification of the mention with a link to the post in which the member was mentioned.

You can tag the person with just @membername or @membername.

However, if the member's name contains a space you must use the quotes. This is because in the case of writing @John Doe the notification would be sent to "John" not "John Doe".

Similarly, if the name is followed by anything but a space, you need to use the quotation marks. This is because otherwise the recipient to notification will be sent to a membername with the punctuation included. In other words, if you write @John, then the notification will be sent to "John," not "John".

I hope you like the new feature. :D

I just tested it out by reading all the replies to my topic Does Society Need Prisons? and replying to each and every person who had posted in it since I last did. It was a lot. If you posted in there, let me know if you received the PM notification of my tag. :)
Online Philosophy Club - Please tell me how to improve this website!

Check it out: Abortion - Not as diametrically divisive as often thought?

Dex_Quire
New Trial Member

Re: New Member Tagging Feature

Post by Dex_Quire » January 12th, 2016, 3:09 pm

Scott, please don't pull my membership; I just finished a book and now have more time to explore the site and, I hope, participate. So please cancel the message that keeps coming to my email about dropping me from Philosophy Forums. Sorry that this request is so public but I couldn't figure out where to send this request - and thanks for yr atten to this one - Dex Quire

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Philosopher: Diogenes the Cynic

Re: New Member Tagging Feature

Post by Scott » January 26th, 2016, 11:17 am

Dex_Quire wrote:Scott, please don't pull my membership; I just finished a book and now have more time to explore the site and, I hope, participate. So please cancel the message that keeps coming to my email about dropping me from Philosophy Forums. Sorry that this request is so public but I couldn't figure out where to send this request - and thanks for yr atten to this one - Dex Quire
@Dex_Quire no problem. :) Simply by making that post your account should be safe from automatic deletion.
Online Philosophy Club - Please tell me how to improve this website!

Check it out: Abortion - Not as diametrically divisive as often thought?