The March Philosophy Book of the Month is Final Notice by Van Fleisher. Discuss Final Notice now.

The April Philosophy Book of the Month is The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight. Discuss The Unbound Soul Now

The May Philosophy Book of the Month is Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler.

Philosophy in the Marketplace

Here is the place for your suggestions, comments, or questions regarding the Philosophy Forums.
Natasha_DM16
New Trial Member

Philosophy in the Marketplace

Post by Natasha_DM16 » February 2nd, 2016, 12:26 pm

Hey guys! I am currently taking a course in General Philosophy, and I have been given the task to present a survey to a couple people to answer the questions based on your opinions.(so basically I will just use your answers anonymously as a group).
So here is the questions...
1.) Do you believe in God?
2.) Do you believe that there is some ultimate meaning or purpose to human life?
3.) Do you believe that everyone is morally responsible for him or herself?
4.) Is the scientific account of the world essentially correct?

If you guys can answer these questions with 100% honesty, that would be amazing!

it can be short simple answers or long, vice versa.

Thank you guys!!

Greta
Site Admin

Re: Philosophy in the Marketplace

Post by Greta » February 2nd, 2016, 6:08 pm

1) Do you believe in God? A. Not in the old man in the sky.

2) Do you believe that there is some ultimate meaning or purpose to human life? A. Is there a meaning a purpose to a wolf's life? The answer is roughly the same - it depends.

3.) Do you believe that everyone is morally responsible for him or herself? A. It depends. Children and those with severe mental disabilities aren't responsible.

4.) Is the scientific account of the world essentially correct? A. I'll give you a tentative yes for the survey. It's certainly largely correct in terms of primate senses and efficacy. However, our entire perspective is quite possible significantly skewed due to our limited perceptions.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.

Scribbler60

Post by Scribbler60 » February 3rd, 2016, 5:16 pm

No.
2.) Do you believe that there is some ultimate meaning or purpose to human life?
By "ultimate meaning" I take it you mean a meaning that's outside of ourselves. In that case, the answer is no. But I create my own meaning (as do you and everyone else, even if you don't know you're doing it).
Yes, but there are exceptions in the case of brain injury, disease or malformation, where it's not responsible to hold someone with such difficulties to the same standard as someone without those difficulties.
Generally, yes. There are details that are still unclear - perhaps there always will be unclear details - but yes, the scientific account of the world is backed by evidence, is testable, is falsifiable and has endured scrutiny for hundreds of years.

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR » February 11th, 2016, 3:00 am

Natasha_DM16 wrote:Hey guys! I am currently taking a course in General Philosophy, and I have been given the task to present a survey to a couple people to answer the questions based on your opinions.(so basically I will just use your answers anonymously as a group).
So here is the questions...

If you guys can answer these questions with 100% honesty, that would be amazing!

it can be short simple answers or long, vice versa.

Thank you guys!!
1- A Sky Fairy? No. In someone/something intellectually superior to humans? Yes. You can call it a god, you can call it Bob, it doesn't really matter.

2- No if you mean a UNIVERSAL meaning. Individuals can (and do) have individual meanings, though.

3- In practice? Obviously not. Should they be? Yes, if they are of at least of average intellectual ability.

4- Essentially correct but very incomplete and inadequate.
"As usual... it depends."

Spiral Out

Post by Spiral Out » February 17th, 2016, 11:05 pm

Natasha_DM16 wrote:1.) Do you believe in God?
I don't even believe in belief.
Natasha_DM16 wrote:2.) Do you believe that there is some ultimate meaning or purpose to human life?
No. None whatsoever.
Natasha_DM16 wrote:3.) Do you believe that everyone is morally responsible for him or herself?
If one has their sanity, then yes.
Natasha_DM16 wrote:4.) Is the scientific account of the world essentially correct?
No. Not at all.
Dedicated to the fine art of thinking.