The March Philosophy Book of the Month is Final Notice by Van Fleisher. Discuss Final Notice now.

The April Philosophy Book of the Month is The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight. Discuss The Unbound Soul Now

The May Philosophy Book of the Month is Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler.

Does this forum have any value?

Here is the place for your suggestions, comments, or questions regarding the Philosophy Forums.
XTimeRemains

Re: Does this forum have any value?

Post by XTimeRemains » August 5th, 2018, 11:22 am

Georgeanna wrote:
August 4th, 2018, 4:03 am
There is value. This thread is one example.
Yeah! The following by chewybrian was pretty valuable to me. Many disciplines, including those in science, writing, and engineering, have aspects of getting your work and ideas reviewed by others. One reason that review is so valuable is that we often overlook issues with our ideas and work because we've become so familiar with them. But having someone with a fresh perspective (and a different perspective) take a look will often reveal issues that we can address which will make our ideas and work more robust.
chewybrian wrote:
July 23rd, 2018, 8:42 am
But, most of us need...feedback...to see if we are off the rails on some of the more difficult ideas.

Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna » August 14th, 2018, 3:00 pm

The forum is as valuable as people make it.
Let's make it worthwhile...

If you care, dare.
Eh, Eduk.

Judaka

Post by Judaka » August 16th, 2018, 7:12 am

Eduk

There is a value to this forum for me but that's because I have goals that I feel are sometimes served by the forum. Philosophy isn't about going anywhere or achieving anything besides your own personal goals, I've seen so many foolish philosophies will surfing forums like these but never once did I ever convince anyone that they were wrong, nor have I really seen anyone realise they were wrong and admit in the forum.

I don't think the majority of people come here not to learn but rather to teach. I try to make a post and then read my post like it wasn't me who made it, often nobody points out I said anything wrong but I notice it and try to remember.

Sometimes I do discuss things and learn, I learn from their good and bad points. In fact, I remember we had a very long discussion and although I never told you, I learned a lot from it. I made such long-winded posts and you never really understood what I was talking about and I blamed you. Maybe if we never had that discussion, I would still blame others for not understanding me but our chat made me realise that speaking without putting any effort into being understood is wrong on so many levels.

I was also making a lot of points just because I thought of them and in the end, we got confused mainly because I wasn't even making a real argument anymore, just jumping around our random ideas. I desperately tried to tie it back to my overarching argument but truthfully the statement was never made with that intention.

I think it does take a certain attitude to enjoy any philosophical development in this or any forum, you can't just come to teach and argue, you need to listen and reflect also.

Number2018

Post by Number2018 » August 17th, 2018, 8:24 am

It is a good forum, and I respect its rules. However, have been a new trial member, I feel completely restricted
by the forum’s procedures. I cannot post comments without been moderated. Moreover, I deprived a feature to write to a moderator, and I do not know for how long I will keep this status and if it is possible to speed up the process of becoming a permanent member. I would really appreciate an opportunity of taking full and unrestricted part in forum's discussions.

Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk » August 17th, 2018, 3:07 pm

A good post Judaka. I think it fair to say that many words , which don't seem to have any effect in the moment, do have an effect over time.
Unknown means unknown.

h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s » November 25th, 2018, 10:33 pm

[quote=Eduk post_id=315808 time=1532347508 user_id=46986]
Philosophically is there value in this forum?
I have read far too many posts which ask a reasonable question but get no reasonable reply.
Far too many posts which read like Nigerian prince scams.
Far too many posts where instead of discussing it is instead the preference to argue.
Don't get me wrong there are some sensible replies in amongst the noise. But they are drowned out.
So the question is would you actually be more productive, philosophically, not participating in the forum?
[/quote]

I hope to gain from other people's/philosophers' insights on Aristotle, Aquinas, Descartes, Leibnitz, Russell, and Roger Scruton.

Roger, if you are out there reading this, I like your books. Thank you.

Newme

Post by Newme » November 30th, 2018, 12:07 am

A while back when I posted more on this forum, I learned a lot in debating about how to spot and avoid logical fallacies, which I’m grateful for. I also learned that philosophical expertise often does not imply intrapersonal intelligence, unfortunately.

My ideal forum would be philosophical (especially in debate), psychological and spiritual, but I seem to be the rare one that sees them as inseparably interconnected.

Atla

Post by Atla » December 23rd, 2018, 2:52 am

Eduk wrote:
July 23rd, 2018, 8:05 am
I have read far too many posts which ask a reasonable question but get no reasonable reply.
Far too many posts where instead of discussing it is instead the preference to argue.
Don't get me wrong there are some sensible replies in amongst the noise. But they are drowned out.
So the question is would you actually be more productive, philosophically, not participating in the forum?
99%+ of the posts written here are using dualistic/pluralistic thinking, while the other major form of human thinking, nondual thinking, gets less than 1%. Most posters here don't even know that there is another one.

Unfortunately, most or all of Western philosophy is dualistic/pluralistic, and is therefore inherently incapable of answering the big questions (about consciousness, and who or what we are etc). And it's also incompatible with modern science.

But it has a lot of practical value for everyday life, and all things considered, that's more important.

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR » December 23rd, 2018, 4:35 am

Atla wrote:
December 23rd, 2018, 2:52 am
Eduk wrote:
July 23rd, 2018, 8:05 am
99%+ of the posts written here are using dualistic/pluralistic thinking, while the other major form of human thinking, nondual thinking, gets less than 1%. Most posters here don't even know that there is another one.

Unfortunately, most or all of Western philosophy is dualistic/pluralistic, and is therefore inherently incapable of answering the big questions (about consciousness, and who or what we are etc). And it's also incompatible with modern science.

But it has a lot of practical value for everyday life, and all things considered, that's more important.
Please explain the superiority of non dualstic thinking as pertains to modern science, when compared to dualistic thinking.
"As usual... it depends."

Atla

Post by Atla » December 23rd, 2018, 5:38 am

LuckyR wrote:
December 23rd, 2018, 4:35 am
Atla wrote:
December 23rd, 2018, 2:52 am

Please explain the superiority of non dualstic thinking as pertains to modern science, when compared to dualistic thinking.
Nondual thinking assumes that, ontologically speaking, no separations, divisions exist in reality. All separations, divisions are made up.

The scientific process has discovered no actual separations, divisions either so far. And for example in QM we have direct evidence that separateness is just a cognitive illusion. It is we who automatically divide reality into parts, categories, separate objects, realms etc., which is most of the time useful, even necessary, but we should also keep in mind that actually there are no separate things.

Likewise, Western philosophy can for example spend hundreds or thousands of years trying to figure out how consciousness/the world of the mind, and matter/the world of the physical, come together. Even though this question makes no sense, since these "two" are one and the same, there aren't two at all. Or they can obsess about what the "I" is, even though the I is also continuous with everything else, it's in a sense illusory.

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR » December 24th, 2018, 3:48 am

Atla wrote:
December 23rd, 2018, 5:38 am
LuckyR wrote:
December 23rd, 2018, 4:35 am

Nondual thinking assumes that, ontologically speaking, no separations, divisions exist in reality. All separations, divisions are made up.

The scientific process has discovered no actual separations, divisions either so far. And for example in QM we have direct evidence that separateness is just a cognitive illusion. It is we who automatically divide reality into parts, categories, separate objects, realms etc., which is most of the time useful, even necessary, but we should also keep in mind that actually there are no separate things.

Likewise, Western philosophy can for example spend hundreds or thousands of years trying to figure out how consciousness/the world of the mind, and matter/the world of the physical, come together. Even though this question makes no sense, since these "two" are one and the same, there aren't two at all. Or they can obsess about what the "I" is, even though the I is also continuous with everything else, it's in a sense illusory.
That's what I expected. Namely that it isn't superior. I don't dispute your last paragraph relating to philosophy, but modern science? Uummm, no.
"As usual... it depends."

Atla

Post by Atla » December 24th, 2018, 11:31 am

LuckyR wrote:
December 24th, 2018, 3:48 am
Atla wrote:
December 23rd, 2018, 5:38 am

That's what I expected. Namely that it isn't superior. I don't dispute your last paragraph relating to philosophy, but modern science? Uummm, no.
And yet we talk about interactions all over modern science, even though interactions don't exist. Useful tool, but gives the wrong metaphysical picture.