The March Philosophy Book of the Month is Final Notice by Van Fleisher. Discuss Final Notice now.

The April Philosophy Book of the Month is The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

A Metaphilosophy Forum

Here is the place for your suggestions, comments, or questions regarding the Philosophy Forums.
DumDumTaDum
New Trial Member

A Metaphilosophy Forum

Post by DumDumTaDum » November 24th, 2018, 4:34 am

Well I learnt something just then … always "Save draft" before leaving the page one has just commenced a new post on!

Further, finding one's saved drafts is tricky. Having saved a draft, to avoid losing an incomplete post, there did not appear to be any immediately obvious way to return to that draft - I eventually noticed the "Load draft" button when, thinking I would have start again (for the third time), I clicked on the "New topic" button. Would it be possible to add instructions to the page that appears to inform the user that their draft has been successfully saved, or even a link in the user-drop-down (upper r/h side of page)?

To the subject of this post: Would you, Scott(?), consider a separate Metaphilosophy Forum? Or, is it considered that the "General" Forum is sufficient? I for one - and hopefully not the only one, would like to discuss - and thereby clarify (in my own mind at least), the nature of philosophising … just what is it we do when we philosophise. A Metaphilosophy Forum might serve to collect, in a more readily accessible form, posts which hitherto have been dispersed in some other category.

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Philosopher: Diogenes the Cynic

Re: A Metaphilosophy Forum

Post by Scott » November 24th, 2018, 12:52 pm

It's not a big deal, but in the future if you have two separate issues/suggestions, please make two different topics, each with a subject line that matches the content. There's over 400 topics in this Feedback forum, some with hundreds of posts within them, so it gets very confusing if they aren't each (1) narrowly categorized and (2) only containing on-topic replies.

I will add a link to the saved drafts section in the main navigation "quick links".

Can you give me a few examples of specific meta-philosophy questions/topics you think you would otherwise need to be put in the general philosophy section but might benefit from having their own meta-philosophy forum?
Online Philosophy Club - Please tell me how to improve this website!

Check it out: Abortion - Not as diametrically divisive as often thought?

DumDumTaDum
New Trial Member

Post by DumDumTaDum » November 26th, 2018, 7:12 pm

Point taken … with regard to categorisation of subject matter in posts.

As for examples of questions/topics that might be deemed specific to meta-philosophy: i) What is it we do when we philosophise; ii) What do we understand the term "Philosophy" to mean; iii) How appropriate is the term "Philosophy" to what it is we are doing … indeed, how do we decide 'appropriateness'?

I am not well-versed in the formalities of Philosophical discourse, nor am I familiar with what might be termed 'correct' grammatical expression insofar as there may be conventions that are pertinent to Philosophy. I ask your indulgence in my efforts.

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Philosopher: Diogenes the Cynic

Post by Scott » November 27th, 2018, 1:31 pm

I'm not opposed to the idea of opening a metaphilosphy subforum. However, we could leave it as is and each of those questions can be created as topics within the General Philosophy Forum.
Online Philosophy Club - Please tell me how to improve this website!

Check it out: Abortion - Not as diametrically divisive as often thought?

DumDumTaDum
New Trial Member

Post by DumDumTaDum » November 29th, 2018, 5:42 am

Thanks for considering the suggestion.