The January Philosophy Book of the Month 2019 is The Runaway Species. Discuss The Runaway Species now.

The February Philosophy Book of the Month is The Fourth Age by Byron Reese (Nominated by RJG.) Discuss The Fourth Age now.

philosophers

Here is the place for your suggestions, comments, or questions regarding the Philosophy Forums.
Arjen
Favorite Philosopher: Immanuel Kant

philosophers

Post by Arjen » January 21st, 2019, 6:59 pm

I noticed that there are subfora for branches of philosophy, like ethics and politics and such, but there is not a subforum to create topics about a specific philosopher's philosophy. Some such philosophers might be Immanuel Kant, Jaques lacan, Aristotle, all difficult to really get and well worth many, many discussions. When started in a specific subforum, topics like that stay much more on topic, imho. Is it a conscious choice not to have such a subforum? Or is it just because no one thought of it? Perhaps not enough people that actually read famous philosophers?

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Philosopher: Diogenes the Cynic

Re: philosophers

Post by Scott » January 22nd, 2019, 10:27 am

If we made a forum or subforum for all the famous philosophers, that would be too many forums.

As it is there are only about 13 forums, and the only subforums are in the Book of the Month section. So the forums aren't meant to be super-specific. They are just a broad way to categorize the topics in the forum into ~13 forums for easier browsing. Having too many forums would make it harder to browse, not easier.

One can still create the same topics that they would create in a philosopher-specific forum and then just post it in the most appropriate forum category that we do have, probably the General Philosophy Forum.
Online Philosophy Club - Please tell me how to improve this website!

Check it out: Abortion - Not as diametrically divisive as often thought?

Arjen

Post by Arjen » January 22nd, 2019, 10:33 am

How about 1 subform for philosophers, in which new topics can be created, starting with the name of the philosopher in brackets, like: [Aristotle] Idea ?

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Philosopher: Diogenes the Cynic

Post by Scott » January 25th, 2019, 10:51 am

Arjen wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 10:33 am
How about 1 subform for philosophers, in which new topics can be created, starting with the name of the philosopher in brackets, like: [Aristotle] Idea ?
That could work.

Another idea would be to have something like a "Philosopher of the Week" program, in which we create a subforum for a new philosopher each to discuss that philosopher. If we preannounce the philosophers to be featured, it would give participants a chance to read up on that philosopher's ideas prior to start of the discussions.

Either way could work. Would do you think?
Online Philosophy Club - Please tell me how to improve this website!

Check it out: Abortion - Not as diametrically divisive as often thought?

Arjen

Post by Arjen » January 25th, 2019, 2:21 pm

I think that, in the long run, creating subfora for each/a lot of philosophers is the best idea. It will create some form of knowledge base on-site. I am not sure if announcing things works here? It might be a cool idea, or maybe not at all. I was thinking that if you would launch 1 philosophers subforum and let it run for a year or so, you can select a popular philosopher at that time and make it into a new subsubforum. Maybe Announcing that for the extra attention will add extra body to it.

But I don't know what people would like best. ☺