Off-Topic Posts from Gun Control Series Q2 -- Is legally owning a gun correlated to different likelihood...

Official website announcements are posted in this forum.

If you have questions, suggestions, or need support or help with anything, please email [email protected].
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Off-Topic Posts from Gun Control Series Q2 -- Is legally owning a gun correlated to different likelihood...

Post by Sy Borg »

I do not see this as a philosophical question. What is the data regarding gun owners and violent crime?

Also, it's not valid to consider dynamics that involve the collective as if only pertaining to individuals, eg. one person littering doesn't matter, but if the habit is widespread then that creates issues. By the same taken, a person legally owning a gun means very little - what happens when most of the population owns guns?

The higher the percentage of gun ownership, the higher the chance of guns being kept by the unstable and it also provides greater cover through numbers for those who keep guns for criminal purposes.
LuckyR

Re: Gun Control Series Q2 -- Is legally owning a gun correlated to different likelihood of committing violent crime?

Post by LuckyR »

Greta wrote: March 21st, 2019, 4:40 pm I do not see this as a philosophical question. What is the data regarding gun owners and violent crime?

Also, it's not valid to consider dynamics that involve the collective as if only pertaining to individuals, eg. one person littering doesn't matter, but if the habit is widespread then that creates issues. By the same taken, a person legally owning a gun means very little - what happens when most of the population owns guns?

The higher the percentage of gun ownership, the higher the chance of guns being kept by the unstable and it also provides greater cover through numbers for those who keep guns for criminal purposes.
Why violent crime, why not gun crime? Violent crime is too easy of a hurdle, since violent offenders can't legally own guns, 100% of reoffenses by felons would be placed in the legal non gun ownership category.
"As usual... it depends."
GE Morton

Re: Gun Control Series Q2 -- Is legally owning a gun correlated to different likelihood of committing violent crime?

Post by GE Morton »

Greta wrote: March 21st, 2019, 4:40 pm I do not see this as a philosophical question.
It is, if the data cited (in support of any position) has been produced by a logically flawed methodology.

It is surely true that, ceteris paribus, there will be more gun crimes if guns are readily available. E.g., if no guns existed in the US there would be no gun crimes. As long as most people can legally own guns, criminals will be able to get their hands on them (some by stealing them, but mostly via the black market).

That ceteris paribus condition is the rub, however. Homicide rates do not correlate with gun ownership rates, either by state in the US or internationally by country (see the link above). Hence guns cannot be the "causes" of crime. But if guns are available persons with criminal propensities or intentions will make use of them (and as long as they exist in a country they will be available to criminals).
Jan Sand

OFF TOPIC POSTS FROM Gun Control Series Q2 -- Is legally owning a gun correlated to different likelihood...

Post by Jan Sand »

There are many ways to kill people but if the tool to kill people is easy to use and is easy to use to kill a large number of people with relatively no opposition then people who use this tool will do so. That a large number of people with guns are not deranged enough to kill lots of people is no guarantee that a small number of people who are deranged and have access to guns will not injure a horrifying number of random victims. That is the problem.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Jan Sand wrote: March 22nd, 2019, 1:19 am There are many ways to kill people but if the tool to kill people is easy to use and is easy to use to kill a large number of people with relatively no opposition then people who use this tool will do so. That a large number of people with guns are not deranged enough to kill lots of people is no guarantee that a small number of people who are deranged and have access to guns will not injure a horrifying number of random victims. That is the problem.
Dude, did you read the OP? This isn't about guns, it's specifically about legal gun ownership (vs non ownership) in a society awash in guns whether you choose to own one or not.
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

Dude, if you can divorce the persistent annual horror out of legal or illegal ownership of guns and the misery of seeing your kids dead out of legal gun ownership, you are beyond both my understanding and my compassion.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Jan Sand wrote: March 22nd, 2019, 1:59 am Only once in the history of nuclear weapons has a couple of atomic bombs been used to kill many thousands of defenseless civilians to no purpose since Japan had already offered to surrender.
That is incorrect. While the Japanese had secretly approached the Soviets (with whom they had a non-aggression pact) to explore and mediate the possibilities for a negotiated peace, they made no surrender offer. But the Soviets had already pledged to the Allies to enter the war against Japan 90 days after the war ended in Europe, and that Japanese overture went nowhere.

However, the Soviet declaration of war against Japan (exactly 90 days after VE day, as promised), was also a major factor in Japan's decision to surrender, although in his surrender speech Emperor Hirohito cited only the wish to avoid further atomic bombings as prompting his decision.

(Off-topic, I know, but misinformation needs to be corrected).
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Re: OFF TOPIC POSTS FROM Gun Control Series Q2 -- Is legally owning a gun correlated to different likelihood...

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Greta, LuckyR, GE Morton, and Jan Sand,

I removed the above posts as off-topic.

They were removed from the topic Gun Control Series Q2 -- Is legally owning a gun correlated to different likelihood of committing violent crime?

Whenever posting on the forums, please try very hard to stay on-topic.

If you see a forum topic, but want to talk about something else instead (even if tangentially related) then simply make a new forum topic to discuss that other thing.

If you see an off-topic post, please do not reply it. If you see a post that is mostly off-topic but has some on-topic content, do not reply to it.

Please use the report button to report off-topic posts. Do not reply to them. The Forum Rules instruct one to not reply to rule-breaking posts which includes posts that are off-topic or mostly off-topic.

This was only one question is a series of questions about gun control. So I'm sure many of the comments above will be on-topic in one of the other questions about gun control.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: Off-Topic Posts from Gun Control Series Q2 -- Is legally owning a gun correlated to different likelihood...

Post by Sy Borg »

How noting the lack of philosophy in the OP is off-topic is beyond me, Scott.

If you made a mistake in presenting a political topic as philosophical, and I think you did, then a philosophical response would be to counter the critique rather than to sideline and ignore it.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Re: Off-Topic Posts from Gun Control Series Q2 -- Is legally owning a gun correlated to different likelihood...

Had it just been the first paragraph I would have left, though I think even that was slightly off-topic for reasons explain.

However, it was more the other two paragraphs that I feel were off-topic and as such did and would have continued to derail the topic further and further as seen above. Here are two initial off-topic paragraphs:
Greta wrote:Also, it's not valid to consider dynamics that involve the collective as if only pertaining to individuals, eg. one person littering doesn't matter, but if the habit is widespread then that creates issues. By the same taken, a person legally owning a gun means very little - what happens when most of the population owns guns?

Keep in mind question was: Is legally owning a gun correlated to different likelihood of committing violent crime?

Keep in mind it is only one question in a series. So interesting off-topic comments there might be on-topic in a different question in the series.

For those wanting to discuss (1) whether or not gun ownership should be legal, or (2) discuss what things, factors, or types of stats should be considered in determining the legality of gun ownership, then those are completely separate topics that likely will come up later in the series. One is also free to start their own forum topic about such a topic. Neither of those things were the forum topic in question.

The question was the question. The question was not what would be valid to do with the answer to the question. The question was not whether the answer to the question will be useful for some purpose not.

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Is gun ownership correlated with various crimes? Ask a demographer, not a philosopher.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Greta wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 5:32 pm Is gun ownership correlated with various crimes? Ask a demographer, not a philosopher.
Indeed, the special gun control topic series is designed to start off with very simplistic uncontroversial questions that should result in minimal debate and move gradually to more complicated and more philosophical questions.

Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Scott wrote: March 26th, 2019, 10:23 am
Greta wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 5:32 pm Is gun ownership correlated with various crimes? Ask a demographer, not a philosopher.
Indeed, the special gun control topic series is designed to start off with very simplistic uncontroversial questions that should result in minimal debate and move gradually to more complicated and more philosophical questions.
The stats on this issue belonged in the OP, otherwise it's an invitation to do speak without knowledge, ie. not philosophical.

The only important figure here is comparing murder stats of comparable nations. How's the US's murder rate as compared with comparable western countries? To what extent does the US history of slavery contribute? What of the contribution of inequality in the US is increasingly making the nation look demographically more like a Communist state than a western democracy?

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... aps-charts

The US does have special circumstances - through slavery in the past and corruption and extreme inequality in the present - as compared with other western democracies. These differences have been overplayed skilfully by the NRA (which is funded by arms companies) to blind people from the obvious fact that, the more people who own weapons of murder, the more people will die.

I always get a good laugh when people try to explain that, if everyone had a lethal weapons, then the M.A.D. principle will keep people behaving - as if in any time in the world's history that whole societies operated as rational agents. If that's the case then the US should not only have a lower shootings per capita rate than wiser nations, but a vastly lower shooting rate. Rather, it has by far the highest rate.

All of this is extremely well known and obvious but one cannot cut through entrenched corruption - and that is what's happening between the media, the NRA, arms companies and the political class (and now they are working to undermine Australia's gun laws to open up more markets - basically trading lives for profit and influence).
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

How's the US's murder rate as compared with comparable western countries? To what extent does the US history of slavery contribute? What of the contribution of inequality in the US is increasingly making the nation look demographically more like a Communist state than a western democracy?
Those are interesting questions that will likely be on-topic in response to later questions in the gun control series.

The scope of Q2 is so extremely narrow and simplistic that to me those above questions are not relevant to answering Q2 versus later question in the series.

Your questions are much more interesting and philosophical than Q2. That itself helps explain why they are not on-topic in Q2.

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Greta wrote: March 26th, 2019, 5:30 pm
Scott wrote: March 26th, 2019, 10:23 am

The stats on this issue belonged in the OP, otherwise it's an invitation to do speak without knowledge, ie. not philosophical.

The only important figure here is comparing murder stats of comparable nations. How's the US's murder rate as compared with comparable western countries? To what extent does the US history of slavery contribute? What of the contribution of inequality in the US is increasingly making the nation look demographically more like a Communist state than a western democracy?

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... aps-charts

The US does have special circumstances - through slavery in the past and corruption and extreme inequality in the present - as compared with other western democracies. These differences have been overplayed skilfully by the NRA (which is funded by arms companies) to blind people from the obvious fact that, the more people who own weapons of murder, the more people will die.

I always get a good laugh when people try to explain that, if everyone had a lethal weapons, then the M.A.D. principle will keep people behaving - as if in any time in the world's history that whole societies operated as rational agents. If that's the case then the US should not only have a lower shootings per capita rate than wiser nations, but a vastly lower shooting rate. Rather, it has by far the highest rate.

All of this is extremely well known and obvious but one cannot cut through entrenched corruption - and that is what's happening between the media, the NRA, arms companies and the political class (and now they are working to undermine Australia's gun laws to open up more markets - basically trading lives for profit and influence).
Your post has many truisms within it but sort of haphazardly skips about (from topic to topic). For example, comparing the data from countries with very few guns to the US is only helpful to countries with very few guns (Australia?) to help them decide to continue to have very few guns. It does nothing for the US since guns essentially last forever and the number of guns is so incredibly high that even if no new guns entered the market, there would be too many guns for over a century.

While many choose to argue about the issue of legal guns turning into illegal guns and increasing crime, in my experience that is not a convincing argument to the responsible gun owner who won't illegally sell his weapon, is highly unlikely to be burgled and is at extremely low risk of committing a gun crime, personally. In addition, the statistical reality is that the increased risk of gun ownership for a significant number of legal gun owners lies in gun accidents and increased lethality of suicide (which I won't argue here is either a good or bad thing), not through murder/crime.

Lastly, the reason most folks discuss gun ownership today has little to do with the actual majority of morbidity of guns, instead it is headline grabbing mass shootings, that are a tiny fraction of the damage that guns do. Of course middle class, white kids dying at school freaks out voters while shootings of the economically disadvantaged in inner city slums nets no coverage, yet is a much larger problem.

Return to “Forum Announcements”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream