Incredibly complicated rules

Official website announcements are posted in this forum.

If you have questions, suggestions, or need support or help with anything, please email [email protected].
Dalehileman

Incredibly complicated rules

Post by Dalehileman »

Forgive me guys but PF has the single most complicated set of “rules” of any such website I’ve participated over my 17 years’ doing this sort of thing. As if mocking me, the instant I began typing, I was faced with this error message:

The subject of your topic is similar to existing topics. Please check these topics, and if your message is similar to one of them, then please reply there instead of creating a new topic. (Links will open in a new window.), followed by a listing of some 10 topics, none pertinent to what I’m doing

…….while frequently a posting will be cashiered for me having placed a comma in the wrong place or a link containing an “x” or a “d” appearing after the slantbar “/“ while just the other day I spent an hour composing a thread which was summarily rejected for containing “advertisements” which really set me back since I couldn’t divine in what possible way it advertised anything

(However if the resident commercial element were identified perhaps I could delete or revise it, then re-post—thanks troops)

--and then whilst editing to get cut off in the middle of a sentence for having overstayed my welcome in the Posting Pit I guess—while I’m still working on the massively involved set of machinations required to get a scrollbar in the edit window

Most abject apologies to those who really do mean well, but it seems there’s attracted to Admin posts of many such websites the chap to whom such a position of authority conveys a sense of power lacking in his everyday life, gaining a sense of accomplishment from the generation of still another rule we must remember, who seems terribly angry at all times about nearly everything and who might be advised, gollyPete, lighten up

Fellas I’m sure all these strange rules have some constructive purpose and other participants hue loyally but herewith anyone, if it’s no trouble could you supply a link to a similar site—one with equally intelligent and expressive participants but with a simpler set of rules

Notwithstanding the 105-word (by actual count) Reminder at the top of the pabge. At age 81 with incipient Alz’s feel like back in grade school being reprimanded by Teach

Thanks again most sincerely folks for you kind attention to my largely absurd but sometimes provocative postings

-- Updated May 12th, 2012, 5:42 pm to add the following --
Dalehileman wrote:Forgive me guys but PF has the single most complicated set of “rules” of any such website I’ve participated over my 17 years’ doing this sort of thing. As if mocking me, the instant I began typing, I was faced with this error message:

The subject of your topic is similar to existing topics. Please check these topics, and if your message is similar to one of them, then please reply there instead of creating a new topic. (Links will open in a new window.), followed by a listing of some 10 topics, none pertinent to what I’m doing

…….while frequently a posting will be cashiered for me having placed a comma in the wrong place or a link containing an “x” or a “d” appearing after the slantbar “/“ while just the other day I spent an hour composing a thread which was summarily rejected for containing “advertisements” which really set me back since I couldn’t divine in what possible way it advertised anything

(However if the resident commercial element were identified perhaps I could delete or revise it, then re-post—thanks troops)

--and then whilst editing to get cut off in the middle of a sentence for having overstayed my welcome in the Posting Pit I guess—while I’m still working on the massively involved set of machinations required to get a scrollbar in the edit window

And blocking links to Wiki??????????????

Most abject apologies to those who really do mean well, but it seems there’s attracted to Admin posts of many such websites the chap to whom such a position of authority conveys a sense of power lacking in his everyday life, gaining a sense of accomplishment from the generation of still another rule we must remember, who seems terribly angry at all times about nearly everything and who might be advised, gollyPete, lighten up

Fellas I’m sure all these strange rules have some constructive purpose and other participants hue loyally but herewith anyone, if it’s no trouble could you supply a link to a similar site—one with equally intelligent and expressive participants but with a simpler set of rules

Notwithstanding the 105-word (by actual count) Reminder at the top of the pabge. At age 81 with incipient Alz’s feel like back in grade school being reprimanded by Teach

Thanks again most sincerely folks for you kind attention to my largely absurd but sometimes provocative postings

-- Updated May 12th, 2012, 5:44 pm to add the following --

…..and requiring the entire post to be reproduced in order to edit one sentence?????????
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Re: Incredibly complicated rules

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Please see the official forum rules. Please let me know which rule exactly you want changed or removed. Preferably, please tell me exactly to what you suggest I change it.

If you find one of the rules unclear, please let me know which rule you think is unclear.

They are numbered for easy reference.

Thanks! Scott
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Dalehileman

Post by Dalehileman »

Hi Scott, what a remarkably even handed response, you have my undying credit, I’ve been permanently banned from several sites for much more innocent suggestions. I’ll mention a few pet peeves then later as they occur

It’s not that they’re unlcear, only that so many are so silly

1. The rule that when you want to correct for instance an embarrassing error upon second reading a few minutes later. I’d like to be able to edit indefinitely as with many other sites of this sort so I’m not cut off in the middle of a sentence

2. Failing 1, at least let me add a comment or correction without reproducing the entire post, eg, see OP

3. The rule that nobody else intervenes I can’t append a post. In a single thread for instance , to curtail the length of each, permit separate post responding to each participant

4. The rule that in an OP title I mustn’t ever use a phrase already used in one of ten thousand other such titles. Please don’t guess that my post might belong under an existing topic, it it hardly ever does, while it loses interest as an appendage to someone else’s thread

5. The rule that one’s post must be perfect in every respect according to a large number of entirely arbitrary criteria. A post is rejected for the most trivial of reasons, like omitting punctuation for instance but much worse, for containing a link that fails to meet some obscure criterion that’s not even explained; rejection based on a typical such case, the software conclusion that a post contains “advertisment"

6. The rule that I must remember in detail everything said in a thread to which I’m responding or editing. So in process of second or subsequent editing retain for reference the thread to which response is being made. It’s needed just as much the second time as the first

Please remember, the forum rules require you to proofread and spellcheck your post before submitting it.
That’s absurd. I frequently catch errors or have afterthoughts after first submit. Anyhow for various reasons they’re often easier to spot after saving. For example the blank line—between paras, etc—not apparent in editing window but only after saving. I’ve encountered many other such examples, for instance in the case where a repetition might not be spotted until the entire post is visible

Also, personal attacks or any potentially offensive or rude off-topic remarks at all are strictly prohibited.
Places unnecessary limitations on expression because everyone has a different idea of what constitutes offense or what’s “irrelevant". A post should be disallowed or a psrticipant chastised for only the most blatant and obvious and then only with the concurrence of all Admin

If you have any questions or comments about the rules, please explain them in the Feedback Section.
Another rule. However your Average Clod (me) sometimes is unsure in which subforum his remarks apply so do feel free at any time to move mine wherever you feel it belongs

10.Find and correct the “rule” whereby an apparent software glitch, that in process or editing again and again reproduces the entire thread which then has to be laboriously expunged

11. The one refusing a post unless it contains some arbitrary number of characters makes no sense whatever

12. The rule disallowing a mouse scroll in the edit window until the correction or addition is performed

However it’s been a pleasure Scott chatting with you while I’ll be first to accede not every participant shares my views

.and thank you for the link to The Rules. I can’t of course speak for others but to me…….

http://www.spudart.org/blogs/randomthou ... 7_0_3_0_C/
Last edited by Dalehileman on May 13th, 2012, 2:54 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Thanks for the feedback. Most of the problems you express having would seem to resolved if you used the preview and/or save draft feature to fully proof-read your posts before submitting them rather than submitting them and then going back to edit.

I have not experienced this software glitch in which editing causes the whole post to be reproduced.

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Dalehileman

Post by Dalehileman »

Thanks for the feedback.
Most welcome Scott. Incidentally what a cute kid
Most of the problems you express having would seem to resolved if you used the preview and/or save draft feature………...
That has been suggested from a number of quarters and of course makes absolute sense. But unlike most I often spot errors hours, days, or even weeks after submission, while the method you recommend entails vastly more keystrokes
I have not experienced this software glitch in which editing causes the whole post to be reproduced.
I’ve had it happen several times, as in the OP and no, sorry, don’t know why or when but if there’s a way for the inadvertent keystroke to initiate chaos, I will encounter it

But your suggestion using the Preview feature has merit, at least with the OP, and I shall try to remember to use it on first proofreading

Incidentally owing to my advanced age and no doubt incipient Alz’s I can’t find the “Save Draft” link Where is it and once I have used it then exit, when I return how do I find it again
Last edited by Dalehileman on May 13th, 2012, 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

In the OP, it appears you hit the quote button rather than the edit button.

Dalehileman

Post by Dalehileman »

In the OP, it appears you hit the quote button rather than the edit button.
Aha! How embarrassing, esp how could I do it twice in succession--while once more you’re to be congratulated for your remarkable forbearance in the face of trolls such as I

Long live PF

PS still looking for that “Save Draft” link

Return to “Forum Announcements”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream